MF-101 for warmth and phatness over a master output?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Solenoid

MF-101 for warmth and phatness over a master output?

Post by Solenoid » Fri May 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Hello to all!

I have a question...can the MF-101 Fooger give "warmth" or "phatness" to master output of my audio card or to my digital synths? I know that it is a tool for much more creative uses, but, can i use it for that purpose too or it isn't subtle enough at minimum settings?

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 pm

I'd say no.
It sounds like you're looking for something with tubes in it, like the TL Audio Valve Compressor for example:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=184025

You can think of the MF-101 as an EQ unit - one with only a single low-pass shelf. Sure it's analog, and sure it sounds "phat" when you run things through it. But it's not going to warm up your mix in the way you are thinking. It will roll off the high frequencies, and probably do so slightly even when settings are at zero.

Plus, it's mono.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

Solenoid

Post by Solenoid » Sat May 16, 2009 5:08 am

Thank you for the reply, i understand what you mean...

Lux_Seeker

Re: MF-101 for warmth and phatness over a master output?

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sat May 16, 2009 7:38 am

Solenoid wrote:Hello to all!

I have a question...can the MF-101 Fooger give "warmth" or "phatness" to master output of my audio card or to my digital synths? I know that it is a tool for much more creative uses, but, can i use it for that purpose too or it isn't subtle enough at minimum settings?
I guess it would really depend on what you mean by warmth or fatness. Tubes are often attributed to having warm tones due to certain characteristics of how they shape tones. This is why there are so many tube pre-amps/compressors out there.

phatness is often attributed to distortion. There are many types of plug in distortion effects that you can get. Here is an example:

http://www.camelaudio.com/camelphat.php an at less than five percent of the cost of a good tube compessor it's a bargain. This is also a very flexible plug in.

There are also a whole lot of mastering tools out there that might be what you are looking for to shape your sound before cutting it. It all is a matter of getting the tool that fits what you are looking for.

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Sat May 16, 2009 9:05 am

i have had good results with speakeasy vintage music. they have several preamps aimed at rhodes, hammys, clone wheels, etc... and soem drive leslies...

pretty $$$$$ but one of your better pres out there for under $1000....

I prefer to warm up in analog.... digital still doesn't fully get it.
Electronic Violinist here

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun May 17, 2009 9:58 pm

the 101 is best for tracking (drums/synths/vox/etc) not for mastering a whole song, it colors very heavily.

as for a master output on digital synths: I highly recommend it, it does wonders, esp if you have two to do it in stereo!

mainly keep in mind that you don't have a true bypass with those, so depending on your setup and needs it might be important to set up the mf's as fx sends, i have a patchbay rigged up and it's great being able to send stuff through as necessary.
www.ctrlshft.com