Attenuate pitch wheel (Voyager Old School) ?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
18watt

Attenuate pitch wheel (Voyager Old School) ?

Post by 18watt » Fri May 16, 2008 1:12 pm

Any thoughts on how one might limit the range of the wheel? Just curious. I've tried a few permutations with the VX-351, but I'm not sure it's possible.

GregAE

Re: Attenuate pitch wheel (Voyager Old School) ?

Post by GregAE » Fri May 16, 2008 1:38 pm

18watt wrote:Any thoughts on how one might limit the range of the wheel? Just curious. I've tried a few permutations with the VX-351, but I'm not sure it's possible.
Perhap SteveD can offer some assistance here.

Not specifically addressing your issue, but related, this bit of information regarding Pitch Bend appears in the Old School User's Manual (in case you missed it):

Pitch Bend: This spring-loaded performance control affects the pitch of all three oscillators. The pitch bend amount is fixed at +/- 2 semitones (one whole step). The Pitch Bend amount is set by an internal jumper. Although most players will be comfortable with the factory default setting (+/-2 semitones), wider ranges can be set by reconfiguring an internal jumper. For details on this procedure, visit the Voyager Old School section on the Moog Music web site (www.moogmusic.com).

18watt

Post by 18watt » Fri May 16, 2008 1:49 pm

Aha! Thank you, I did miss that! Mine's set at waaay more than two semitones...

*wanders off to go count*

OK, mine's set at seven semitones, which is great for some stuff, but less for others. It's really not a big deal, but it'd be cool if one could tweak it externally.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri May 16, 2008 3:01 pm

18watt wrote:Aha! Thank you, I did miss that! Mine's set at waaay more than two semitones...

*wanders off to go count*

OK, mine's set at seven semitones, which is great for some stuff, but less for others. It's really not a big deal, but it'd be cool if one could tweak it externally.
Sounds like they misplaced the jumpers on your instrument. No big deal, because it can be adjusted, but it is a Global adjustment that affects all patches.

FWIW, the Model D Minimoog PB range was also fixed, albeit at a smaller range. :-)

18watt

Post by 18watt » Fri May 16, 2008 3:49 pm

Interesting! Any idea what the original range was?

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri May 16, 2008 7:52 pm

18watt wrote:Interesting! Any idea what the original range was?
I think it was +/-3 semitones, but I don't own a Model D to confirm.

Any Model D owners want to answer this one?

sine

Post by sine » Mon May 19, 2008 8:44 am

It's been over twenty years since I sold it, but I believe mine was +/- a tritone.

GregAE

Update on the Old School PB Range

Post by GregAE » Wed May 21, 2008 1:58 pm

FYI: According to Steve Dunnington, the Pitch Bend range of the Voyager Old School was changed from a planned +/-2 semitones to a wider +/-7semitones just prior to production. This changed was based on feedback from some heavy Minimoog players who favored a wider PB range.

The change was made after the User's Manual went off to the printer, which is why the manual states "+/- 2 semitones".

The good news is that the PB range can be changed via a jumper, so no one is stuck with an undesireable setting. A tech note on performing this mod is planned.

18watt

Post by 18watt » Wed May 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Thanks so much for the update!

It really is a terrific synth. :)