Fix for Paul Vo model with Wilkinson Wobble???

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
V_B

Fix for Paul Vo model with Wilkinson Wobble???

Post by V_B » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:11 am

Hi- I have a Paul Vo model that has developed a wobble in the tremolo arm (Wilkinson Wobble?). I asked Moog tech support about this and was told it can't be fixed. Has anyone else had this problem and maybe worked out a way to fix it? This is really annoying especially on such a beautiful/expensive guitar! Any help is most appreciated

jondogz

Re: Fix for Paul Vo model with Wilkinson Wobble???

Post by jondogz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:20 am

Hi, try this one - found a video showing a fix. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ObGKM1c6ps
Jondogz, Telford, UK

V_B

Post by V_B » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks for the reply- I have seen this video and on a normal guitar the fix looks straight forward- something I could easily manage. Problem with the Moog Guitar is there is so much wiring etc. attached to the bridge that taking it completely out of the guitar would be major surgery. If you had a super thin mini pipe wrench-like tool you might be able to get to the loose nut when the arm is pushed all the way forward ?? There is a small window of opportunity there but the tool would have to be perfect. Removing the bridge is something way beyond what I would attempt (unless I had detailed instructions) and with the Moog support tech saying it can't be fixed....looks like I will have to live with it. At the moment I have resorted to a bit of blue tack around the base of the tremolo arm to stop it making a rattling noise when I hit certain notes. The rattle was getting so bad it affected my tuner! Hope someone out there can come up with a better fix for this than putting blue tack on a top of the line Paul Vo Moog Guitar.

Post by moderator » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:44 pm

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with this. Please email support as soon as you get a moment. We'd like to get this figured out.

[email protected]

-MoogMusic
Moderator, Moog Music Forum

V_B

Post by V_B » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi- I contacted Rosser Douglas at tech support when I first started having this problem. He said in his email: "Ooooh,
It's not unusual for that part to have a little movement. Unfortunately there is no way to tighten that that I'm aware of, and I have tried everything I could think of....... Including that bolt that you're talking about. It never accomplished anything but ruining a wrench and a bridge. I really don't suggest trying. Sorry I couldn't help more."
JHT
Tech Support Manager
------------------------------

I have also contacted the moog tech in australia (where I am) and he didn't know how to solve this problem either.

If you come up with a fix please let me know. Thanks, V_B

Croyote

Strongly debating acquiring one, but this is a serious quest

Post by Croyote » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:00 am

I am very seriously considering the acquisition of a Moog Guitar, either a B-stock Paul Vo, a B-stock E-1 w/ trem, or a higher line model if I can get the financing funding. One thing that makes me wonder about leaning towards the fixed bridge is this issue.

Did anyone find a fix? I had a little chat w/ Steve in the Moog Guitar shop, and he told me that he had never heard of this issue before.

Also from experience, does the piezo short out if you do a divebomb? I currently own a EB Music Man BFR JPX6 w/ Roasted Maple Neck that has an incredible tremolo system in it. The piezo continues to work even if I completely slack the strings (but tuning is totally shot!) I love this guitar, but it's only a regular guitar; and I really really want a Moog.

Any recommendations?

V_B

Post by V_B » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:50 am

Hi-
Still no fix for my "wilkinson wobble" which is gradually getting worse. I wonder if this should be a warranty issue on such an expensive instrument?? Can't believe my luck being the only one with this problem.... and I'm not even a radical whammy bar kind of player.....oh well.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:59 am

Why don't you call Steve?

He's been more than gracious to be helpful and encouraging when I've spoken to him about designing a guitar, etc.

I'm sure he'd love to help you find a solution to the problem.

His extension/number is listed under the Moog Music Guitar Products page.
:D

Croyote

How is the Wobble you describe even possible?!!

Post by Croyote » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:37 am

I've owned an E1 for a month, and now have a Vo on the way.

I'm sorry V_B, I don't understand how the wobble you describe is even possible????

There is a little screw nut that you tighten or loosen the whammy bar with. You use a tiny allen hex wrench that fits in it to tighten and loosen it. You have to remove the whammy to put the guitar in a case.

I could understand if you lost that little screw . . . it actually just randomly fell out of my E1 and I found it lying on the floor of my room.

I do think Moog/Wilkinson might benefit from rethinking the mechanism. It's a pain in the butt to find the wrench and loosen/tighten the bar after every gig. Ibanez/Floyd uses a brilliant little mechanism on their latest guitars that you just twist with your fingers to adjust and remove the bar.

In the meantime, having to deal with the arduous task of using the wrench is worth it for this great guitar.

V_B

Post by V_B » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:55 am

Hi Croyote- Thanks for the concern about my "Wilkinson Wobble" issue. I wish it was just the little screw you mentioned (it's not)- check out the vid jondogz posted above or google "Wilkinson Wobble" to see exactly what my Paul Vo has developed. Also, I am in Australia and have been told via email by Moog that the wobble can't be fixed. It has gotten so annoying that I am back to playing my Strat more than the Paul Vo......oh well....

ps- if anyone from Moog reads this: Shouldn't this be considered a Warranty issue?

SarasMusic

Post by SarasMusic » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:15 pm

jondogz - Thank you for the YouTube video. I had the same problem as V_B. I didn't get a hold of tech support because I checked here first :) I'm always amazed about many people have the same problems as me. I love when there is a simple solution to get me back to my music.

Thanks again for the video. It was a great fix.

- Sara
I love Moog and I love new music! If you are looking for the best new songs to play go to http://www.top100songsnow.com. If found lots of great songs there.

jondogz

Post by jondogz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:15 am

Glad it was useful to people.
SarasMusic wrote:jondogz - Thank you for the YouTube video. I had the same problem as V_B. I didn't get a hold of tech support because I checked here first :) I'm always amazed about many people have the same problems as me. I love when there is a simple solution to get me back to my music.

Thanks again for the video. It was a great fix.

- Sara
Jondogz, Telford, UK