New Moogerfooger

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!

What Should The Next Moogerfooger be?

A Bitcrusher
19%
A Vocoder
7%
A Fuzz Octave
4%
A Chorus/Vibrato
11%
A Sequencer
59%

Total votes: 27

derekmather

New Moogerfooger

Post by derekmather » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Seeing the April Fools joke made me think it would be really cool if they actually did make a new Pedal... vote and comment!
If the brain was simple enough that we could understand it, we'd be simple enough that we couldn't understand it.

Jacob Matheus

Re: New Moogerfooger

Post by Jacob Matheus » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:29 pm

I'd love a stereo/mono Moogerfooger Chorus (/Vibrato/Flanger) with controls for Rate, Sweep Depth, Mix, as well as selectable Waveform (maybe between Triangle-wave and Sine-wave?) and selectable Delay-time; (setting this rocker-switch to short would make it a flanging effect, consequently, turning the Mix-knob fully clockwise would make this a Vibrato effect), and perhaps a Feedback Gain-knob for the flanger as the fourth knob. And of course Audio mono/stereo ins, Audio mono/stereo outs (stereo would have the sides running in quadrative phase), Effect-only out (?), as well as CV-ins for Rate, Sweep Depth and Mix; maybe even a relay for the delay-time switch?

Anyhow, these are my thoughts. :D

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:04 pm

There's no mention in this poll for a Moogerfooger involving Amplitude:

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7245

That's the piece of the puzzle I'm looking for next.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

derekmather

Post by derekmather » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Jacob Matheus wrote:I'd love a stereo/mono Moogerfooger Chorus (/Vibrato/Flanger) with controls for Rate, Sweep Depth, Mix, as well as selectable Waveform (maybe between Triangle-wave and Sine-wave?) and selectable Delay-time; (setting this rocker-switch to short would make it a flanging effect, consequently, turning the Mix-knob fully clockwise would make this a Vibrato effect), and perhaps a Feedback Gain-knob for the flanger as the fourth knob. And of course Audio mono/stereo ins, Audio mono/stereo outs (stereo would have the sides running in quadrative phase), Effect-only out (?), as well as CV-ins for Rate, Sweep Depth and Mix; maybe even a relay for the delay-time switch?

One quick question...isn't a triangle waveform the same thing as a sine? To me the waveforms look different but everyone says they sound the same? Just a thought... BTW that does sound cool. I have so much trouble buying pedals from other companies cuz they don't feature Control Voltages for each knob etc. :D
Last edited by derekmather on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the brain was simple enough that we could understand it, we'd be simple enough that we couldn't understand it.

moose

Post by moose » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:15 pm

I think the Bitcrusher would be really cool if it had Mix, Downsample Freq, Bit Resolution, and maybe LFO, along with control voltages for each knob and maybe a LFO out... Stereo too. Too bad bitcrushers are digital... but for a good cause! :lol:

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:33 pm

I voted bitcrusher.
I would love to see Moog take a crack at a digital effect.
There are already a number of analog sequencers avaible that work perfectly with Moog gear.
There are also a number of analog chorus/flange type effects around. Granted, most do not have CV control, but still avaible.
The WMD Geiger Counter sure looks neat. I would like to try one out.
Frostwave made a Bit crusher a few years back. (Sonic Anienator) They have seemingly disappeared.

I am anxious for a new Mooger pedal. It would be great to see something totally different and unique. Something that works well with the Voyager. Something insane and mean sounding!
Something digital? :mrgreen:
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

derekmather

Post by derekmather » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:35 pm

analoghaze wrote:I voted bitcrusher.
I would love to see Moog take a crack at a digital effect.
There are already a number of analog sequencers avaible that work perfectly with Moog gear.
There are also a number of analog chorus/flange type effects around. Granted, most do not have CV control, but still avaible.
The WMD Geiger Counter sure looks neat. I would like to try one out.
Frostwave made a Bit crusher a few years back. (Sonic Anienator) They have seemingly disappeared.

I am anxious for a new Mooger pedal. It would be great to see something totally different and unique. Something that works well with the Voyager. Something insane and mean sounding!
Something digital? :mrgreen:
yea thats what i voted :D i felt the same way, that there already are sequencers on the market that work good with Moog gear, as well as Chorus/Flange. As far as Vocoder goes, i like that idea, but imho i just feel the Bitcrusher is really something truly Unique and cool sounding. Bitcrusher sounds brilliant through drum loop, as well as the fact that there are no major pedal companies that make it. :( moog should take a shot at digital... :D

Jacob Matheus

Post by Jacob Matheus » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:11 pm

derekmather wrote:
Jacob Matheus wrote:I'd love a stereo/mono Moogerfooger Chorus (/Vibrato/Flanger) with controls for Rate, Sweep Depth, Mix, as well as selectable Waveform (maybe between Triangle-wave and Sine-wave?) and selectable Delay-time; (setting this rocker-switch to short would make it a flanging effect, consequently, turning the Mix-knob fully clockwise would make this a Vibrato effect), and perhaps a Feedback Gain-knob for the flanger as the fourth knob. And of course Audio mono/stereo ins, Audio mono/stereo outs (stereo would have the sides running in quadrative phase), Effect-only out (?), as well as CV-ins for Rate, Sweep Depth and Mix; maybe even a relay for the delay-time switch?

One quick question...isn't a triangle waveform the same thing as a sine? To me the waveforms look different but everyone says they sound the same? Just a thought... BTW that does sound cool. I have so much trouble buying pedals from other companies cuz they don't feature Control Voltages for each knob etc. :D
Well, no, the triangle waveform has completely linear fall and rise with sharp peaks; e.g. like a triangle form, while a sine-wave is more of a smooth waveform with no rapid changes. Check out this link; around halfway down the page you'll see diagrams and explanations with a soundfile demonstrating each waveform. Sound pretty different to me. :wink:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Chorus/

Anyhow, I'm all for new, more inventive designs, naturally, but a chorus unit seems like the kind of thing they very easily could've made, but haven't yet for some reason. I think it would be cool of them to fill in that gap in their lineup, as they already have a great delay and a phaser pedal. A unit like this, with just a couple of BBD chips thrown in and one of their LFOs would cover three very different sounding effects, all in one unit. I'm sure it would appeal greatly to the guitar market, and I'm sure making such a unit would be no problem for them; they just need to see the demand, I guess. :D

MarbledMoog

Post by MarbledMoog » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:13 pm

Moogerfoogers aren't a guitar effects pedal line, nor modules just for synthesis. A moogerfooger who's function is modulation with BBD chips would be cool, but ultimately unnecessary. There are a million chorus pedals out there. Now if they some how made a flanger that replicated real flanging, thats something else. They need to keep making things like the MuRF and FreqBox. Things based on modules but taken in an interesting direction that can be used in a multiple of ways and set ups with analog synths, guitars/basses and studio jobs.

It could be cool on a moogerfooger to have one side be amplitude with attack and release knobs and a rocker switch to select the decay and sustain.
MF-101, MF-102, CP-251

vier-personen

Post by vier-personen » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:30 pm

it looks like a lot of people would like a sequencer with wood panels.. perhaps this will work?

http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Time_e.htm

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:27 pm

vier-personen wrote:it looks like a lot of people would like a sequencer with wood panels.. perhaps this will work?

http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Time_e.htm
Unfortunately, Doepfer didn't show it at either Musikmesse (2 wks ago) or at Winter Namm 2010 earlier this year. I've been waiting but the evidence thus far that this exists is that low-res mock up and the list of specifications. I have faith in Doepfer but to me, it's a race between the LinnDrum II, DarkTime, Malekko 919... all great products that appear to be delayed delayed delayed (no pun intended in the case of the 919.

'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:48 pm

As much as I love bitcrushing effects, Moog shouldn't be doing digital effects units.

Moog is a specialty company, and their strength is IN their specialization (analog). I can get a bitcrusher from A LOT of places, and even if they came out with a hybrid unit (say bitcrusher meets analog filter or whatever) I think it'd be a mistake in the long run. My 2c.

I'm still hoping for a 1 osc/1 lfo/1 adsr/1 lpf mini-synth in a rackable format with a few patch points and MIDI. Moog should have an answer for the Mopho, and I think a lot of people would respond to a desktop unit who don't have a ton of space and $$$ to spare.
www.ctrlshft.com

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:00 pm

I also think that Moog should expand on what the cp251 started. If they don't want to directly imitate Doepfer...which is what a 1 osc Midi minisynth with a few patchpoints would be doing in my opinion...they should at least give us some more modules VCA ENV with which to bring the whole collection of Moog products towards modular functionality.

I think that the probabillity that Doepfer got the idea for the Dark Energy from the people on this forum is higher than just being a cooincidence. Look at all of the request threads and mockups and then compare.

I think a multimode filter would be a great addition to the MF line.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:03 am

I agree with the posters that do not want to see any effects with digital signal paths from Moog, though digital control as they have used is perfectly fine by me. Regarding Bitcrushers, there are some excellent units to choose from already- the Geiger Counter is a killer signal mangler. I dont see myself buying or using a vocoder at this point, though I wouldn't be adverse to seeing one in the lineup because I think it could be successful, and a multimode filter would be nice as well.

Chorus, vibrato, octave fuzz, etc are all currently attainable with 'foogers. If anything, I would really like to see an updated delay with shorter delay times to facilitate flanging. It would cover delay and delay modulation in spades, and it would definitely push me over finally and find its way into my rig; I'm not big on chorus but I love flanging.

Basically, I'd like them to keep doing what they're doing, creating effect modules that run on audio and CV (ie work with all instruments) and all tie in to a bigger picture, ultimately allowing the user to create effects by mixing and matching I/O's. Instead of 20 small and/or single function guitar pedals, you can replicate the whole gamut with only a handful of 'foogers, patch cables, and maybe a controller or two... not to mention by the time you get all those 'foogers and controllers, before you know it you have a small modular synth on your hands!

Using a bass guitar primarily to trigger Freqbox's+etc, a 'regular' VCA Env module would not appeal to me enough to 'upgrade' from the MP+CP+Ringmod VCA setup, especially with the ability to trigger the envelopes with the MP's treadle or footswitch. BUT, if Moog did something with a VCA module like they did with an oscillator, ie the Freqbox which can be controlled with CV *and* an audio signal, I'd snap one up in a heartbeat. This way would make the module usable by synthesists and guitarists alike. There are only a few limited adsr style effects for bass/guitar, so a module like this could open up a whole new realm for bassists and guitarist while filling a visible gap to create an all analog Moogerfooger modular.. dedicated knobs and freeing up my MP and Ringmod a bit would be sweet too :twisted:
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201