what moog to replace an old satellite moog?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Jebus0000

what moog to replace an old satellite moog?

Post by Jebus0000 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:19 pm

I've started releasing and performing my own disco/electronic music and I've been incorporating an old moog satellite because I love the way it can instantly send a track straight back to the 70's. I use it in my live set as well. It's horribly unreliable and extremely noisy. So I'm now debating either dumping some money into fixing it up or buying something that can reproduce the sounds plus do more.

So which vintage moogs can do similar sounds? Are there any new synths available that can approximate the Satellite?... I've had no luck with the voyager.

To hear it in action... the first 2 tracks on my ep use it for bass sounds:
http://soundcloud.com/cyclist/sets/double-dip

also, track 4 in the middle section.

Voltor07

Re: what moog to replace an old satellite moog?

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:10 pm

The Satellite had a relatively weak filter, and I have not seen one on E-bay in a long time. The last one I saw was non-functional. I would assume either a Liberation or MG-1 would make a suitable replacement. I could be wrong, though.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:59 am

The Satellite has a VC bandpass filter inline with the weak VCF which is the two pole version of the ladder filter not the better known four pole.

Voyager might be the best shot as you can get the bandpass action with the dual filters, and you can set the filters to two pole like the Satellite.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:13 am

I really dig that track.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.