XL ribbon

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
bunnyman

XL ribbon

Post by bunnyman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:36 am

Just wondering: will Moog possibly offer this as an add on? I'd *love* one for my Sig Series Voyager! :wink:

Prime NL

Re: XL ribbon

Post by Prime NL » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:40 am

Check the ribbons from Walking Stick.....already using one for some time with my Voyager.

http://www.psionicsoundworks.com/

MC

Post by MC » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:57 am

Looks too long to fit a standard voyager
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:26 pm

i'd also prefer a hold function. noticed in the a6 how handy that is. so the new version would be a thing for me.

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:08 pm

That Walking Stick looks *great* but they're discontinuing the current version this month and making a new one sometime next year... Of course, that Doepfer one looks tasty (and has both MIDI & CV): http://www.doepfer.de/R2M.htm

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:59 pm

The new one is available now. (The first batch of orders are being finished right now.) I'm picking mine up this week. 2 channels of CV: Location and pressure. Mine is being finished to match my Voyager Signature.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Niko

Post by Niko » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:17 am

I have both ribbon controllers, one from psionic soundworks and one from Doepfer. Both working fine with the Voyager. Following remarks I can give:

- Psionic Soundworks Ribbon Controller

very sensitive with position and pressure (pressure adjustable via poti). Usually I use the position voltage to control the oscillators and the preasure voltage for the VCA. It works also fine with my old Mini Moog Model D by using the additional power socket.
The shape and design and the appearance is just wonderful and fits idealy to the style of the Voyager. It feels very cozy and gentle and it makes a lot of pleasure and fun to play with it.
The technical support and the flexibility (I wanted longer cables) from Joe Sperduti is just great. And also he helped me with some awkward shipping details towards my destination in Europe.
So yes, this product is very well recommended.

- Doepfer R2M Ribbon Controller

R2M actually means Ribbon to Midi I've learned. This Ribbon Controller is a technical beast. It also works great with the Voyager. Additionally with the R2M a trigger signal is derived which turns the Ribbon Controller in a real external "Ondes Martenot" keyboard. No further trigger button is necessary. And with the Midi functionality further functions such as selectable scales (continuum, 12-tone, quarts, minor, major etc.), arpeggiator and other things are possible too.
The design is not as cozy as with the Psionic but more high tech appeareance. No wood but aluminum (quite heavy but very solid).
The technical support is also very good. Dieter Doepfer always has an open ear and the flexibility of a small company with a high amount of innovative potential is obvious.
So yes, this product is very well recommended (as well).

I would suggest to get both.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:35 am

If there was a way to install the ribbon controller on the Voyager, I wonder where they would put the CV outs. Id settle for the bottom but that wouldn't be practical. Id settle again for something similar to the phatty cv outs, on the side of the cabinet.

Would you?

A Voyager with both a touchpad and a ribbon controller and cv outs is just too freakin much control!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:22 am

EricK wrote:If there was a way to install the ribbon controller on the Voyager, I wonder where they would put the CV outs. Id settle for the bottom but that wouldn't be practical. Id settle again for something similar to the phatty cv outs, on the side of the cabinet.

Would you?

A Voyager with both a touchpad and a ribbon controller and cv outs is just too freakin much control!
Face, front or back only. Sides and bottoms get in the way of racking.
Might as well add the Theremin for more control!
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:59 am

I was thinking that for cabinet Voyagers, the bottom could be a good place to put some modded outputs, ala the EW+ but that woudn't suffice for people unless they had their Voyager's on stands rather than on a tabletop. THe sides wouldn't be so bad, not referring to the RME. I was hoping for a MIDI implementation of the Voyager XL's ribbon and extra pots. Don't know about that yet though.

Im going to have to employ my EW+ again now that can do some sequencing...

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:00 pm

I was talking cabinet models, too. (Not RME's)

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Just like this...
STICK.JPG