cant trigger Moog Source with drum machines

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
westerrnredcedar

cant trigger Moog Source with drum machines

Post by westerrnredcedar » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:23 pm

I cant seem to figure out how to trigger the Source with a tr-707 or Linndrum. I thought the CV in would accept signal from either drum machine using a standard instrument cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

MC

Re: cant trigger Moog Source with drum machines

Post by MC » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:40 pm

*TRIGGER* input not CV In!
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

westerrnredcedar

Post by westerrnredcedar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:11 am

I tried the trigger input first, so it seems my problem is the cable.
Do I have to make my own 1/4" stereo to mono or is there anywhere to buy one??
Not terribly handy with the soldering iron.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:39 am

The TR-707 sends out a positive trigger on its rimshot sound, but it's only +5 volts.

The Source expects (on the tip of a stereo 1/4" plug) a negative voltage or S-trigger.

Simply put, they're not compatible.
One could be modified or an interface made for between them, but I'm not sure you're going to get the Source to follow the 707 this way.
Different voltages, different standards.
Even a small part like a transistor, relay or vactrol might help, but those are nothing one can just throw together without some tech know how.

Not sure about the Linn. However I think it puts out hotter signals than the 707.
Doesn't help in this case, but can trigger a wider array of other devices than a 707.
Good luck.

PS: I can read, burn and modify Linn drum sound chips and have a large library.
If you'd like a custom sound that merges two separate linn samples together as one or even plays them backwards, it's possible.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

westerrnredcedar

Post by westerrnredcedar » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:24 am

Im now using a v-trig to s-trig converter but still cant seem to get the sources' arpeggiator to keep time with the 707 the way a juno 60 or sh-101 would. All I can seem to manage is timed pulsing when not in s/h or arpeggiator mode this is disappointing as I was hoping to produce huge arpeggiated bass lines . If I bought the kenton midi to cv box would I be able to slave it to my mpc 3000??