Voyager + VX-351 + CP-251 = ??

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
wittyreference

Voyager + VX-351 + CP-251 = ??

Post by wittyreference » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:24 am

So funny that Moog announces the Voyager XL literally the same day my VX and CP arrive. Anyway, so I went ahead and screwed around with the patches that come in the manual, as well as a fair amount of experimenting and exploration, but now I am looking for the "next steps", namely:
  • What are other "must-try" patches for this combo? Cool tips/tricks/hacks?
  • Which Moogerfooger would add the most flexibility to this setup? My initial thought is Analog Delay and MIDIMurf, but not entirely sure? Am I wrong in thinking the Filter Moogerfooger would be completely redundant in this configuration since the CP has another LFO?
  • Are there repositories online anywhere of patch ideas, features, and functions of this set up?
  • If I wanted to expand out further into a modular system with these components what would be the best type of modules to start with? I'm guessing an analog sequencer, maybe an Oberheim SEM or something? My plan is to eventually build out a huge and terrifying wall of modules, I just don't know where to start, again trying to maximize usability and versatility. This is my first real life modular experience, I have a fair amount of time spent in virtual modular synth software, but those often come pre-built, and even things like Reaktor which don't come pre-built don't necessarily make for an apples-to-apples comparisson.
  • Which companies modules are compatible with the Voyager? For example: it's my understanding I need to be on the lookout for Eurorack modules since they will need some additional tinkering to work (something about inverting power or something?) - anyway I am mostly just looking for companies that manufacture modules that will work out-of-box with the setup I described above.

sunny pedaal

Re: Voyager + VX-351 + CP-251 = ??

Post by sunny pedaal » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:41 am

the ringmodulator
also try the doepfer maq16/3 sequencer.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:20 am

The MAQ works well with the voyager. (I'm doing a gig tonight with just the Voyager and an MAQ 16/3)
Euro, while it is the least expensive and most popular format of modular is not my choice for use with the Moog. You need a ton of adaptors or your patch cords have to be 1/4" to 1/8". The best choices, in my opinion are 5U formats. Either MOTM format or MU format (My choice). MU format is expanding hugely with several new builders now building modules. Roger Arrick's company, Synthesizers.com, is very good stuff at very good pricing and great customer service. He has several methods of getting you started at low cost.
Grove audio is building a PolyMoog resonator. Megaohm Audio makes Korg and Arp clone modules. STG Soundlabs makes EMS, Korg and ARP modules along with a really nice sequencing suite. Moon Modular is mind boogling with their array.
You can tame a freqbox with your set up as you can scale the oscillator and use it as a 4th OSC. The Ring mod gains a new life as you can now make it keyboard track. Murf and LPF would be my last additions to the rig. (I have at least one of all the Foogers, some don't get much use.)
Just be aware that modular synthesis is like a crack addiction and the VX and CP are the gateway drugs.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:32 am

wittyreference wrote:So funny that Moog announces the Voyager XL literally the same day my VX and CP arrive. Anyway, so I went ahead and screwed around with the patches that come in the manual, as well as a fair amount of experimenting and exploration, but now I am looking for the "next steps", namely:
  • What are other "must-try" patches for this combo? Cool tips/tricks/hacks?
  • Are there repositories online anywhere of patch ideas, features, and functions of this set up?
I'm guessing you don't know about Knobtweak. It's the on-line repository for all-things Moog (since it was initially started for the Voyager, there's a LOT of Voyager-related stuff there).

Areas on KnobTweak that you might find helpful:
Files > Voyager > Voyager & Moogerfoogers
Files > Moogerfoogers
Tables > Moogerfooger FAQs

- Greg

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:09 am

The Ringmod and Phaser can prodice som beautiful sounds together. And the Phaser/Delay provide a vintage style sound. Thr Murf and Delay is very nice, especially with your audio going to the delay first, then every delay is panned to the other side.

A filter isn't redundant if you play other instruments. Last night I had the Voyager hooked up to the RIngmod and Delay, with the Micro playing a bassline, and my foot on the pedal controlling the 101 cutoff that was filtering noise. But I also play other instruments and want to have dedicated filtering in the Voyager and external filtering at the same time.

Don't forget about the mp201.

What size modular do you want, the Moog/motm, Fracrack, or Eurorack? There are all kinds of sequencers out there in just about all formats that with a little attenuation can work well with the Voyager. I seem to lean towards the dotcom sequencers because I like the Moog style module format.

There are also digital sequencers out there in software formats...though not the same, but produce equally as interesting patterns. Im using numerology.

Go to knobtweak and I have an article there about why multiple filters aren't redundant, because this comes up so much it irks me to hear people say it lol.
Heres the key.....when going modular, nothing is redundant, every module is very useful and the more the merrier. My article gives several examples as to why.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Modularfan

Post by Modularfan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:06 pm

sunny pedaal wrote:the ringmodulator
+1 on the Ring Mod suggestion, and if you want some cool ideas on how to use it with the Voyager/VX-351, check out the 'Lord of the Ring (Modulator)' article on KnobTweak.

wittyreference

Post by wittyreference » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:11 am

GregAE wrote: I'm guessing you don't know about Knobtweak. It's the on-line repository for all-things Moog (since it was initially started for the Voyager, there's a LOT of Voyager-related stuff there).

Areas on KnobTweak that you might find helpful:
Files > Voyager > Voyager & Moogerfoogers
Files > Moogerfoogers
Tables > Moogerfooger FAQs

- Greg
Awesome! Thank you!