Moogs in the darndest places

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
vorlon42

Moogs in the darndest places

Post by vorlon42 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am

This weekend, I borrowed a copy of the Best of the Muppet Show DVD -- the one that featured the episodes of Elton John, Julie Andrews, and Gene Kelly. During the Elton John episode, while he was singing "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and playing with other Muppets, Dr. Teeth (leader of the in-house Muppet band "The Electric Mayhem") had a Minimoog behind him! It's kind of hard to see, but the pattern of knobs and switches is unmistakable.

(I should include a screen shot, but there are probably copyright restrictions that would preclude me from doing so.)
[i]"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." --Elbert Hubbard[/i]

MC

Post by MC » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:28 am

Yeah I caught that years ago.

Those were great shows. I've been looking for them on DVD, can't find them on TV anywhere. I dropped cable TV years ago, nothing on worth watching anymore.

sundaeclubber

Post by sundaeclubber » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:04 am

....apart from The Simpsons.
Sundae Club* http://www.s-club.co.uk
Moog-Filled Album "TECHNOSTALGIA"
from
http://www.cdbaby.com/sundaeclub
and in your local iTunes store

http://www.myspace.com/sundaeclub

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:13 am

I bought several of them from Best Buy, Amazon also has them.

It still is one of my favorite shows :).

There's Mini Moog all over the show too, "Pigs In Space" theme for one.

I think there was an episode where there was a Muppet, maybe the good Doctor, was playing a Mini.

Trivia question, name each member of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem and what instrument they play.

Brian

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:11 am

Dr. Teeth - keyboards
Janice - bass
Floyd - guitar
Zoot - saxophone
Animal - drums

did I get that right? 8)

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:51 am

:) yup. Now do each voice :) :).

Brian

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:10 am

I watched the Muppet Show pretty religiously when I was a kid - I bet I could at least do some of the voices!

One of my favorite episodes was the one with the drum battle between Buddy Rich and Animal - if I remember correctly, Buddy Rich won, but Animal broke his bass drum over Buddy Rich's head!

I also remember Floyd doing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - they worked in the Beatles a lot...

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:49 pm

Funny, I was going to say something about the Buddy Rich one :). That was a great show, I hope it winds up on the DVD's one of these days.
Brian

Synthesist

Post by Synthesist » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:54 pm

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”! Really, considering the season… be on the look out for Jim Henson’s ‘Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas’ (1977) (TV). If I recall correctly, when the Jug-Band competes against the Electric Mayhem Band, Dr. Teeth was actually playing a Modular Moog! It has been a long time (and many atrophied brain cells) since I saw it, so don’t shoot me if I am wrong, but I am almost positive that he did. Anyway, it was really cool and worth a viewing if you can find it or catch it on the tube.

-Joe Wright

s16016wb

Post by s16016wb » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:51 pm

Actually, Janice played guitar and Floyd played bass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Teeth_ ... ric_Mayhem

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:09 am

:) that's what I get for skimming a post to fast :). I knew that :). Good catch.
Brian

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:30 am

‘Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas’ ...

I don't remember ever seeing that... I'll have to track down a copy, Amazon has it but it's pretty expensive,

Do you remember the first Christmas Special with John Denver, around 1979/1980 ? The thing I remember most is Animal singing " Twelve Drummers Drumming" on the LP it's Kermit. :)

Thanks for the heads up on the Jug-Band

Brian

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:49 am

"Actually, Janice played guitar and Floyd played bass."

I kinda knew that too, I had a twinge of doubt when I typed my list. I remembered thinking that there was a contradiction that Floyd was a bassist but sang the song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", but then I thought, this can't possibly be a real memory. But I guess I did think it, just not sure when! I don't think I was even aware of the difference between guitar and bass when the show originally aired - must've caught a rerun during the '80s... :?

KrateKraig

Moogs on TV

Post by KrateKraig » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:53 am

The next time you're up watching David Letterman, wait til the camera is on Paul Schaffer. Behind him (TV left, Paul's right) in all it's beauty and glory is a Minimoog Voyager AE...
I just got a new cat, and named her Moog (She's black and makes interesting purring sounds just like my Minimoog Voyager AE!) I hope I'm not violating any copywrite law :)

s16016wb

Post by s16016wb » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:59 pm

does she have any bits that glow blue?

i would not, under any circumstances, attempt to connect a 351