POLY WANT A PHONIC?

Everything Phatty.
nerdtro

POLY WANT A PHONIC?

Post by nerdtro » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:58 pm

I love my Phatty, but can't help thinking how cool it would be to add one extra voice so I could play intervals. I know you can daisey chain 2 phatties together and I have considered doing that, but it is rather expensive. Wouldn't it be cool if Moog put out a voice module at an affordable price, is it even possible to make something like that?

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Oh here we go again....

Just check the forums, this is a neverending conversation haha.

You'd get it a lot faster just buying a second LP or a Moog RME like I did. It is pricy yes. But if you want it bad enough you'll save for it.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

Vectorman

Re: POLY WANT A PHONIC?

Post by Vectorman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:29 pm

I've had my LP for about four days. Fell in love with it by day two and had the same thought...wouldn't it be cool if there were very simple and less expensive rack-mount voice expansion units priced at around $700-800, designed primarily to be slaves for a LP keyboard (but also usable as standalone units via the LP Editor software). When all you want is additional polyphony, it is a bit redundant to pay for the keys and front panel controls repeatedly when you only need one set of those.

Ah well. At least the "poly mode" is there in the software if one wants to splurge and just buy additional LP's. I've already gotten a chordal comping part from the LP going in my current track by splitting the chords up into more than one MIDI track and recording the LP in more than one pass. It can work just as nicely for polyphonic parts as it does for bass, IMO. 8)

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:40 am

This discussion will never end as long as there is no at least 2-4 voice polyphonic LP.
And it is absolutely right that it will not end!

I regard all this talk about "get yourself a second, third, fourth" device as utter nonsense.
It is an extremely weak workaround: incomfortable, room wasting, causing playing issues (sequence of keys pressed).
Totally inappropriate for any live situation.
A 2- or better 4-voice LP could probably be sold at around 3500€. Expensive, but worth the money for those who want it.
It should contain additional bend modes (like bending one note against another).
After developing the bass pedal, from my perspective there is nothing as logical to be the next development step, as this is.

So all this silly talk, as if some Moogs stacked could replace a handy polyphonic one, is no answer at all for what many musicians want and need, especially for live play. The one thing I really can't judge is the econimical risk: how many musicians would buy it in inscure economic times? So I respect any way Moog decides. But from a keyboarder perpective, the case is beyond any doubt for me.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:32 am

Even if they offered a single-voice rack unit for $800 I would be happy. For a little more than the cost of an LP Stage II, you could get two voices! Already have a Stage or Tribute? Add two more voices for the cost of one Stage and an MF 101! How could you go wrong with that? :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

doctorno

Post by doctorno » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:50 pm

jimknopf wrote:A 2- or better 4-voice LP could probably be sold at around 3500€. Expensive, but worth the money for those who want it.
I agree that a 4-voice Phatty would be a very good idea. But I think it would have to be much cheaper. If its price would exceed the price of a Prophet ´08 nobody would buy it. A Poly Phatty for 1500,- Euros, yes, but a Poly Phatty for 3500,- Euros, absolutely ridiculous.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:10 pm

doctorno wrote:
jimknopf wrote:A 2- or better 4-voice LP could probably be sold at around 3500€. Expensive, but worth the money for those who want it.
I agree that a 4-voice Phatty would be a very good idea. But I think it would have to be much cheaper. If its price would exceed the price of a Prophet ´08 nobody would buy it. A Poly Phatty for 1500,- Euros, yes, but a Poly Phatty for 3500,- Euros, absolutely ridiculous.
I think they could do a 6-voice Poly Phatty w/ a little something extra for about as much as a Voyager goes for. Nothing ridiculous about that, VCO synths cost way more than Curtis chip synths.
www.ctrlshft.com

doctorno

Post by doctorno » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:59 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:I think they could do a 6-voice Poly Phatty w/ a little something extra for about as much as a Voyager goes for. Nothing ridiculous about that, VCO synths cost way more than Curtis chip synths.
The question is: is a VCO synth better suited for polyphonic purposes than a Curtis ship synth? For certain sounds, yes, but generally - certainly not. As far as polyphonic analogue synths are concerned, DCOs have their advantages. In my opinion the Little Phatty should be availabale with its 3 octave keyboard and without any extra features in a 4-voice version for a price below the Prophet 08. In this case there would be a market for such a synth.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:34 am

Here' my LP poly vision. I would like a 5 voice desktop/rack unit with a 16 step 6 track sequencer to sequence the internal voices and an external mono synth (most likely another LP). 1 large display with a robust knob for menu diving and such. 20 knobs, 4 per voice similar to the current LP panel, CV patch matrix or internal routing matrix to use an LFO/ENV on a different voices.

praxisaxis

Post by praxisaxis » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:43 am

There is a really easy, cheap way of doing this (and it's actually in the manual). You do need another synth, but it doesn't have to be a Moog - just polyphonic.

1) send midi out from the moog into the polyphonic synth. (The LPs midi out is polyphonic). A sound module or rack is ideal if you want to keep the size and weight factor down.

2) send the audio from the other synth into the "audio in" on the little phatty.

Done :)

You might have to specify that the external audio is the sound source, on the LP. (I can't remember).

Sure, you're using an external synth as the audio source, rather than the moog's own oscillators... so it's not necessarily a fully analogue synth anymore (if your other synth is something else) but you're triggering it via the moog and you can still use the moog's filter and EG.