New on KnobTweak!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
GregAE

New on KnobTweak!

Post by GregAE » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:26 pm

*** KnobTweak Updates ***

A hearty "welcome" to all of our new members, and special congratulations to 'hambonenflippy', who became the 400th member of KnobTweak on October 19! To all - we hope you'll find KT a valuable resource for all your Moog gear, and hope you'll share your patches, thoughts, ideas and discoveries with the KT community! :D

---

Little Phatty owners: KnobTweak member Bob Svitilla just uploaded a bunch of cool new LP patches on KT. With a total of 19 patches already submitted, it looks like Bob is well on his way to creating his very own LP sound bank! Thanks for the contributions, Bob!

Look in:
Files > LP > LP Patches > LP patches by BobSvitilla (folder)

---

Voyager owners: With Moog’s own Halloween Theremin Video Contest currently in full swing and interest in Theremins at an all-time high, this seems like a good time to reintroduce the Voyager patch for the non-Thereminists among us – the “Mod Wheel Theremin”. This patch is a single-oscillator Preset with the Mod Wheel programmed to control the Volume, Vibrato and Waveform simultaneously, while a generous dollop of Glide makes the pitch swoop in a convincing way. If you’ve ever wanted to fake a Theremin-like performance on a Voyager, this is the patch for you!

Check it out here:
Files > Voyager > Voyager Patches - Users > ModWheelTheremin.zip

---

Finally, as we anxiously await the release of the Taurus 3 Bass Synthesizer, be assured that KT will be providing patches, information, and tips & tricks on this new instrument as soon as it becomes available.

Cheers to all!

- Greg

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:12 pm

Greg, are you set up to get yourself a set of those pedals?

I (as well as lots of other people) would really be interested in hearing a side by side comparison of the Taurus to either the Voyager or the Phatty, to put to rest some of those "What's the difference" sort of questions that pop up.

Id be happy to shoot one with the Voyager, but the Phatty has the filter overdrive and I don't have a Phatty.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:41 pm

EricK wrote: Id be happy to shoot one with the Voyager, but the Phatty has the filter overdrive and I don't have a Phatty.

Eric
I could help out with that. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:15 pm

EricK wrote:Greg, are you set up to get yourself a set of those pedals
At some point, yes.
EricK wrote:I (as well as lots of other people) would really be interested in hearing a side by side comparison of the Taurus to either the Voyager or the Phatty, to put to rest some of those "What's the difference" sort of questions that pop up.
No doubt - I'm sure there is (or soon will be) a lot of curiosity over the differences. I expect that YouTube will quickly be filled with videos showing off various facets of the new gear once it's out there, which should answer some of the questions. As for specific 'T3 vs. Voyager' or 'T3 vs. LP' face-offs, all I can say is that it's certainly possible... :wink:

- Greg

spittingoutteeth

Post by spittingoutteeth » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:50 am

KnobTweak is a great resource; thanks so much for keeping it going!

The Mod Wheel Theremin Voyager patch mentioned is great.
[b]ΔΔΔ MARS PYRAMID RECORDS ΔΔΔ[/b] - www.marspyramid.com
www.myspace.com/marspyramid
[b]Aether Everywhere Records[/b] - www.aethereverywhere.com
[b]VIKOMT[/b] [i](harsh drones)[/i] - www.myspace.com/vikomt

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:34 am

spittingoutteeth wrote:KnobTweak is a great resource; thanks so much for keeping it going!
Thanks for the kind words!
"The Mod Wheel Theremin Voyager patch is great.
Glad you like it. Playing that patch reminds me (somewhat) of the guitarist's trick of turning the volume knob on the guitar all the way down and then raising it immediately after playing a string. Of course, the string vibration on a guitar eventually dies down and stops, whereas the Voyager oscillator keeps going and going... :D

Modularfan

Post by Modularfan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey Greg - How about posting a Mod Wheel Theremin patch sheet for the Voyager Old School owners? :D

MF

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:04 pm

Modularfan wrote:How about posting a Mod Wheel Theremin patch sheet for the Voyager Old School owners? :D
Done! A patch sheet for the Mod Wheel Theremin has just been posted on KT. It's really a pretty simple patch, but it comes with a couple of caveats:

The OS patch sheet is a simplified version of the Mod Wheel Theremin Voyager patch, which uses Pot Mapping to program the Mod Wheel for triple-duty. Pot Mapping configures the Mod Wheel to simultaneously control the master volume and the oscillator waveform, in addition to adding a bit of vibrato to the sound. To set up a similar configuration on the Old School, at a minimum you'll need a VX-351 and a couple of patch cords to configure the Mod Wheel to control the master volume. A few more patch cords (plus an Attenuator) will add the oscillator waveform control (this is actually dialed in as a subtle effect on the Voyager patch, but it helps the Theremin sound to 'bloom' a bit as the volume level is raised).

The connections should look like this:

VX351 MOD WHEEL out -> MULT
MULT -> Old School VOLUME in
MULT -> ATTENUATOR (25%) -> Old School WAVE in

This should get you close.

Good Luck!

- G