Moog model D how to use the glide/delay jack inputs

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
benbravo

Moog model D how to use the glide/delay jack inputs

Post by benbravo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:18 pm

Hello Moog friends,

I am the owner of a minimoog model D serial 12000 something.

I am wondering how to use the 2 jack inputs beside the delay/glide switches ?

The jacks are not the usual instrument jack input, but some smaller kind... why ? what kind of cable should I use with that ?

Would a simple switch (boss FS-5U for example) work with it (i am successfully using one in the gate input) ? Would a CV pedal work to control the glide/delay amounts by foot ?

Thans for your help.
Ben

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:42 pm

I wonder if that is the same 3/16th jack that the MicroMoog has to output the modulation bus.

Perhaps this was for a footswitch controlled glide amount. But thinking more about it, it seems like it would be something more like a gate on and off.

KL will likely chime in on this one.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

psound74

Switchcraft 260 jacks...

Post by psound74 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:33 pm

These jacks can be used if you get .206" jacks (Switchcraft 260)...I got mine from Mouser and terminated the other end in a 1/4" female plug so I could plug in a cable of varying lengths (depending on gig/house location) to the Boss F5-SU footswitch.

From the minimoog manual...

=============
EXTERNAL CONTROL OF GLIDE AND FINAL DECAY.
The rocker switches in the left hand controller section have replaced the momentary push buttons
used previously. Jacks have been added so that the performer can connect foot switches to en-
gage GLIDE and DECAY functions. R. A. Moog will soon make these momentary switches
available as an accessory.
With no external switch connected and the GLIDE switch turned off there will be no portamento.
When the GLIDE switch is turned on the pitch will glide between notes at a rate set by control
(2) (see controllers section, paragraph 12). When the performer connects the external foot
switch, he can momentarily engage portamento when the GLIDE switch is off by depressing the
switch button. The foot switch has no effect if the GLIDE switch is already on. The external
control of the DECAY function works in an analogous fashion.
To prevent confusion of the external foot switch cords with input and output audio and control
voltage cords, the jacks for DECAY and GLIDE are 0.206" dia. instead of 0.250" dia. The jacks
mate with Switchcraft S-260 plugs instead of ordinary 1/4" phone plugs.
The external switch is a normally closed type. It opens when the button is depressed.
TYPICAL S-260 JACK (picture omitted from moogforum when pasting!)
Ring & Tip > Two conductor shielded cable > normally closed (opens when pushed) switch (ignore Sleeve)

It is possible to connect a foot pedal rather than foot switch to the GLIDE jack. With the GLIDE
switch set to "off" one can adjust the portamento speed to any value faster than that set by control
(2). (The foot pedals used for volume, filter, and oscillators will not work for this purpose.)
Similarly one can wire an external foot pedal to adjust DECAY to any value faster than the time
set by control (21) or (24).

Ring of jack to resistor
Tip of jack to potentiometer "wiper"

Resistor values:
R = 10 M (glide)
R = 2.5 M (decay)
[audio (log, not linear) taper]

A photoresistor can be used in place of a potentiometer.
July, 1971
==========

Hope that helps!

psound74