MIDI bug report

Everything Phatty.
morboturbo

MIDI bug report

Post by morboturbo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:28 am

Hi,
I connected my new Little Phatty Stage II to my system and it didn´t respond to MIDI messages (note, controllers, program changes...); it only recognizes MIDI clock commands (the arpeggiator syncs to MIDI clock).
I´ve installed the latest OS 2.1 (no trouble using MIDI ports but impossible via USB, but that´s another story), but the problem is still there.
I use a keyboard workstation as a master device to my system. The sequencer of this workstation sends continuosly clock commands over MIDI, even when it´s stopped.
To my surprise, when I connected the Litthe Phatty directly to a computer via MIDI using a software sequencer that doesn´t send clock commands, it responds to all MIDI commands as it should (notes, controllers, etc.), except logically clock commands.
This must be a Little Phatty fault, because I´ve tried to slave it up to four different devices (workstations and rhythm machines from different manufacturers, whose sequencers sends continuosly clock commands), obtaining always the same result.
Fortunately I have a Kenton interface that has a MIDI port that filters incoming clock commands so I can still use the Little Phatty in my system in some way, that is, I can send notes and controllers to it but I can´t sync the arpeggiator at the same time.
I´ve seen some topics in this forum of people saying its Little Phatty doesn´t respond to MIDI; this MIDI clock commands could be the cause of the problem.
Anyway I would like to know if this is a fault of my Little Phatty or is a general problem. If that´s the case it would be a good idea to correct it in a future OS upgrade.

PD: I´ve tried slaving the Little Phatty selecting every option possible in its menus concerning MIDI without success.

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:55 pm

I've not encountered such problems. I slave my LPSEII all the time. I think the default MIDI control is set to receive on USB, try selecting the MIDI input that is needed.
Boxes full o' wires, n stuff n stuff...

morboturbo

Post by morboturbo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi gtivr6fan,
As I stated I tried every MIDI option in the LPSEII, including the selection of MIDI port, that is selecting only the DIN port or both DIN/USB ports, but the problem is still there.
What sequencer do you use as a master? A hardware device or a computer software?

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:49 pm

Both I use an electribe, mc303 and I have a few VST's as well.

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:54 pm

There is a setting for the midi clock, INT. or EXT.. It has to be set in the advanced presets, under arpeggiator. It has to be set for each patch as well individually. :cry:

morboturbo

Post by morboturbo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:10 pm

Hi gtivr,
A VST plug as a master sequencer?
Please read carefully the initial post; if the LPSEII doesn´t receive MIDI clock commands because I filter them intentionally in order to the LPSEII receive note and controller commands, the option that you suggest about the arpeggiator sync (INT/EXT) is pointless.

gtivr6fan

Re: MIDI bug report

Post by gtivr6fan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:29 pm

morboturbo wrote: I have a Kenton interface that has a MIDI port that filters incoming clock commands so I can still use the Little Phatty in my system in some way, that is, I can send notes and controllers to it but I can´t sync the arpeggiator at the same time.
morboturbo wrote:A VST plug as a master sequencer?
Please read carefully the initial post; if the LPSEII doesn´t receive MIDI clock commands because I filter them intentionally in order to the LPSEII receive note and controller commands, the option that you suggest about the arpeggiator sync (INT/EXT) is pointless.
Yes I have a VST Sequencer! Are you saying that when the arpeggiator is synced with the sequencer you have no note on/off control?

morboturbo

Post by morboturbo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:44 pm

What I mean is that my LPSEII receives MIDI clock commands only or receive note ON/OFF and controllers commands only, not both at the same time.
What VST plug do you use as a master seq?

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Gotcha, I don't think I have that problem, I'll check it out.

Just started using Bankstepv2.1, got Consequence too.

Or for some real fun try this one! http://www.wizardmaster.com/bludgeonsof ... index.html

morboturbo

Post by morboturbo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi,
Here I come again with new intriguing findings about the related MIDI bug.
After countless repatching and rebooting of my setup I´ve find that the cause of the problem is a combination of the incoming MIDI clock commands and the LPSEII boot up routine.
As I explained before my hardware master sequencer sends MIDI clock commands even when it´s stopped, so if I switch on the LPSEII when these commands are present, the MIDI IN of the LPSEII gets completely locked (it won´t recognize note and controllers commands), and a reboot of the LPSEII in these conditions is abosolutely useless.
Its only when I used a computer sequencer as a master when I realized where the problem was. Software programs that I know only send MIDI clock commands when the song is running, so in a normal situation when I switch on the LPSEII the software sequencer is stopped, and in these conditions the LPSEII will respond to all MIDI commands correctly after boot up.
So the solution is as simple as reversing the order of switching my equipment, that is, first the LPSEII and then the hardware master sequencer.
Finally and after some headache this serious MIDI bug has been transformed in a minor one and I´ll be able to enjoy this little fantastic machine in its entirity.
I hope these explanations will serve to anyone whose LPSEII doesn´t respond to MIDI.
Thanks gtivr6fan for your comments.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Thank you for your research! I never encountered this problem myself, but it's because I always power on my LP first before even turning on the computer in my studio... this gives the LP time to warm up before I begin playing & recording. Apparently it avoids a minor MIDI bug also...

I will note this bug for future correction. Thanks again for your help!

-Amos

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:39 pm

morboturbo wrote:Hi,
Here I come again with new intriguing findings about the related MIDI bug.
After countless repatching and rebooting of my setup I´ve find that the cause of the problem is a combination of the incoming MIDI clock commands and the LPSEII boot up routine.
As I explained before my hardware master sequencer sends MIDI clock commands even when it´s stopped, so if I switch on the LPSEII when these commands are present, the MIDI IN of the LPSEII gets completely locked (it won´t recognize note and controllers commands), and a reboot of the LPSEII in these conditions is abosolutely useless.
Its only when I used a computer sequencer as a master when I realized where the problem was. Software programs that I know only send MIDI clock commands when the song is running, so in a normal situation when I switch on the LPSEII the software sequencer is stopped, and in these conditions the LPSEII will respond to all MIDI commands correctly after boot up.
So the solution is as simple as reversing the order of switching my equipment, that is, first the LPSEII and then the hardware master sequencer.
Finally and after some headache this serious MIDI bug has been transformed in a minor one and I´ll be able to enjoy this little fantastic machine in its entirity.
I hope these explanations will serve to anyone whose LPSEII doesn´t respond to MIDI.
Thanks gtivr6fan for your comments.
No, thank you for the research! I tried it and it worked for me, but I powered it on the way Amos explained, but good to know. Any luck with the VST sequencer search, Morbo?

dlearyus

vsti sequencers

Post by dlearyus » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:48 pm

i use Numerikart.Stepazoide.Sequencer.VSTi and ERA

cheers ;)

DL

morboturbo

Post by morboturbo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi,
There are so many very good programs out there. I´ve used some of them, but to be honest I still prefer my hardware sequencer to compose; I know is very limited compared to software but I like its immediacy and fun.

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:28 pm

morboturbo wrote:Hi,
There are so many very good programs out there. I´ve used some of them, but to be honest I still prefer my hardware sequencer to compose; I know is very limited compared to software but I like its immediacy and fun.
You got that right! I have a friend who does everything in Reason, sometimes I want to kill this guy...all that clicking, dragging, dropping, I still use my hardware more than software, and probably always will, it's true it's the immediacy!!!