The Ultimate Moogerfooger

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
The Analog Organist

The Ultimate Moogerfooger

Post by The Analog Organist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:55 am

The Moogerfooger idea was an excellent means of opening up the Minimoog to modular capability, and the Moogerfoogers that presently exist are very interesting and useful. But let's face it, the ultimate Moogerfooger has not yet appeared. We're all salivating for the very obvious. When will it appear? Ever?

The ultimate Moogerfooger would be...an OSCILLATOR. Admit it. We've all dreamed about it, but few have voiced it. Imagine a four oscillator (or more) Minimoog. What a sonic masterpiece it would be! This would truly push the Minimoog into the realm of the modular synthesizer. So, what's keeping Moog from realizing the obvious? Produce a Moogerfooger or module that is identical to a Voyager second or third oscillator, and you'll be unable to keep it stocked.

GregAE

Re: The Ultimate Moogerfooger

Post by GregAE » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:34 pm

The Analog Organist wrote:Imagine a four oscillator (or more) Minimoog. What a sonic masterpiece it would be!
Actually, the oscillators in the Ring Modulator and the FreqBox can already be used this way. You might want to take a look at the 'Lord Of The Ring (Modulator)' article, posted on KnobTweak, which describes the process of scaling the Ring Mod carrier oscillator to the Voyager keyboard CV so that it tracks as you play the keyboard (the scaling procedure is the same for the FreqBox).

This well-known technique allows you to easily realize a four oscillator (or more) Voyager.

- Greg

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:43 pm

I figured some one would make this comment. But why not offer a module identical to a Voyager oscillator?

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:54 pm

The Analog Organist wrote:The ultimate Moogerfooger would be...an OSCILLATOR.
How does the oscillator in the FreqBox differ from an oscillator in the Voyager?

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:05 pm

The MF-107 doesn't have an octave switch. What is the range of the frequency control?

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:42 pm

The Analog Organist wrote:The MF-107 doesn't have an octave switch. What is the range of the frequency control?

According to the manual, 25Hz to 1.6 kHz. That's six octaves.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Forget the minimoog oscillator. Clone a modular oscillator with CV's for PWM, Pitch, Wavewarping. individual outputs for each waveform, Range from DC to 20khz, etc.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:40 pm

I may be simple, but I'd like an oscillator module that was identical in every way with the second or third oscillators of the Voyager - similar to the synthesizers.com modules. Has anybody tried connecting one of these to a Voyager Old School?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:09 am

The Analog Organist wrote:I may be simple, but I'd like an oscillator module that was identical in every way with the second or third oscillators of the Voyager - similar to the synthesizers.com modules. Has anybody tried connecting one of these to a Voyager Old School?
It would not be hard to interconnect a synths.com oscillator to an Old School. All the CV is right at your fingertips. Though you'd also need a power supply and power module like the Q137. Or, you could hook up 11 .com osc's and run the Old School with those. :D That's what the CV outs are for. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:44 pm

It seems to me that foogers occupy an interesting middle ground between modulars and stomp boxes. However, what is lacking are trigger inputs. This all makes sense when you realize that if you had triggers, they would be more expensive and, well, basically modules save the format.

I think this is why they have envelope followers built it. No need for triggers and they function well for dynamic control over the partcular effect so they find themselves strangly at home in a guitar rig.

So would I buy an oscillator? Not really. I guess for me, I have a Korg M3 with a Radius so if I want to run a partciular sound I have 2 main out and 4 auxillary all of which I can run through my foogers including basic waveforms.

And, if I want a modular, and I do, then I will build it. I guess I see my foogers as firmly in the middle ground and they work well for me there so a pure oscillator fooger wouldl not be that useful to me.

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Obviously, if you want a modular you should get a modular. But a Voyager with a fourth oscillator would be similar to a modular; it would be a micro modular. It would even be an easily portable modular. That's what I was thinking of. I don't want an immense instrument, but I'd like to have the ability to multiply tones for an immense sound. Since the Moogerfooger idea seems to follow this approach, it would seem only natural to allow one of the supreme capabilities of modular synthesis, which is multiple oscillators. Such a module would definitely be a great help to me, and I think to many others as well.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:14 pm

The Analog Organist wrote: Has anybody tried connecting one of these to a Voyager Old School?
I have a Voyager Old School, and a Dotcom modular with 5 x Q106 oscillators. Yes, I have had my OS keyboard controlling 8 (count 'em) oscillators, and yes the sound is massive (it makes me feel powerful when I do that...) :wink:

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Beautiful thing, there! :shock: Somewhat reasonably priced. Too bad it probably has doubled in price since that price list was published. It probably costs close to a grand now. :x
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:59 pm

Bryan T wrote:
The Analog Organist wrote:The ultimate Moogerfooger would be...an OSCILLATOR.
How does the oscillator in the FreqBox differ from an oscillator in the Voyager?
Aside from whats already been said about the Voyager's and Freqbox Oscs, the Freqbox manual says that its a descendant of the Voyagers oscillator and that it offers NO temperature controlled drift protection.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.