Interest in CV outputs from Little Phatty? Contact Moog

Everything Phatty.
dave500

Post by dave500 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:04 pm

earsmack wrote: So an idea I thought about...what if the existing input jacks were converted in a way that allowed them to work both as inputs and outputs? I'm no electrical guy but my thought is this:

Is it possible to change those jacks to internally work maybe like a patchbay - or maybe with some "special" plugs like Apple uses on iDevices where there is not only audio but also control data being sent via the one input/output. Imagine if the Filter input was also the output. If done how I'm thinking you could use off-the-shelf 1/4 stereo male to two 1/4 mono adapters, one would be the input and one would be the output. Moog could "brand" some of these cables with proper coloring to avoid the guesswork of which is which. If you plug a normal mono jack in maybe it works as it does today (input CV only) so I can still easily plug my pedals in without one of the Y adapters if I don't want the output capability.

Make sense?

This would require no new holes being drilled, no new plastics (or woods) and only internal changes to the components - which I'm assuming is on a board that could be swapped out by the user.

My $.02 and would be much cleaner in my opinion.

I like that idea my Rogue is that way and it works fine.
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:18 pm

Amos, or other Moog employee,

if I were to have my gf's dad build custom sides for me, could I have him make the recessed in/out section wider would you good folks at Moog be able to install a small extention to the plate or what ever the current stock in/outs are mounted on?
Thanks
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:54 am

dave500 wrote:
earsmack wrote: So an idea I thought about...what if the existing input jacks were converted in a way that allowed them to work both as inputs and outputs?
I like that idea my Rogue is that way and it works fine.
Cool - I didn't know the Rogue worked this way - lends credence to my idea then I suppose :-)
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:44 am

emailing now.. great idea!!
http://www.chvad.com
http://www.totsland.net
http://www.thequalia.com
http://www.wtiirecords.com
http://www.darksonus.com

kingfriday

Post by kingfriday » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:27 pm

I am ALL for this! Here is my wish list for CV stuff-

outs:
pitch
gate
LFO
at least one ENV (really want this one!)

additional ins:
independent Pitch and Wave for OSCs
LFO rate

I realize this is a lot to cram into one upgrade.. so I thought, what if the upgrade consisted of a bank of 4 "flex" jacks that are assignable through the menu screen?

///OSS

Post by ///OSS » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:05 am

man ive been waiting for this to happen. Id like to do this mod myself if at all possible as Im not really down with the jacks to be in the front, Id rather just do a more hidden location like the rear or customize the side etc.

I think it should be the following

PITCH CV OUT
KBD GATE OUT
LFO CV OUT
FILTER ENV CV OUT
AMP ENV CV OUT
MOD bus CV OUT
VCO2 PITCH CV IN
MIXER OUT / FILTER IN insert jack

8 jacks and the phatty will be a CRAZY ass monster

VCO 2 pitch CV IN can be used for external FM or sync and for duophonic like operation or 2 patterns or lines coming in.
Little Phatty Stage #0042 - OS2.0 | CP-251 | MF-107 FreqBox | MF-102 Ring | MF-105B Bass MuRF

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:00 pm

We have a prototype built up successfully, and are working on laying out a small PCB for the new circuits.

Here's what we are looking at now:

5 new jacks, located on the RIGHT side panel:

Pitch CV out
Gate CV out
Mod Bus out (whatever Mod Source is selected -- includes OSC2 audio output)
Pitch Envelope out
Volume Envelope out

this set will be the least-expensive option in terms of labor to install... several of the ideas proposed in this thread are excellent but much more labor intensive, which at $85/hr is the largest part of any modification cost.

Once the standard mod is in production, depending on our workload we may be willing to discuss doing some custom/1-off implementation of some of the suggestions in this thread, or perhaps offering more than one mod "package" with some additional mods beyond what I've described above.

At the very least, we think that this combination of CV outputs (pitch, gate, 2 envelopes and a modulation source) will allow the LP to become a very powerful and versatile CV controller. Now, we all just need to have patience as the final design stages come together... :cool:

-Amos

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:49 pm

Very cool.

Just remember, there are some of us that would pay cash money to upgrade our TEs with new panels & boards... even though physical upgrades may not currently be on your table.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm

I believe the TE would be part of this, according to Amos' post from the previous page.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:54 am

Noted. But I mean more in a general sense of TE USB & about anything that Stage's get... I'll pay.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

haiku-ish

Post by haiku-ish » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:30 pm

hi !
is there any chance to have the patch points to make our DIY cv and trig out ?

best

hk

Mangos

Post by Mangos » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:07 pm

i am very pumped about this.. and happy i came by the forum to find this..

I really like that we decided to go with the right side panel!!!
I am looking at making my wood sides this month, so i guess i will have to further modify them at a later point.

Although considering myself a decent electronics tech i would love to get these patch points without too much investigation myself...

would it be possible to get the board for scaling/buffering and a small diagram/schematic showing the voltage test points?

thanks amos.. and moog.. I am so happy with this constantly developing product and support

nick
french press

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:34 pm

haiku-ish wrote:hi !
is there any chance to have the patch points to make our DIY cv and trig out ?

best

hk
I e-mailed Amos this morning regarding the DIY instructions, and he told me that he doesn't have time to work on that yet. He said to e-mail him in a couple weeks. Trust me, I'm all over this like a fly on a week old pizza. :lol:
Boognish wrote:now building custom guitars and boutique amps!!!!
I like amps! :shock: Do you have a website showcasing these amps? Do you do custom work?[/quote]
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:43 pm

love the decision they've come to on this, can't wait to mod my lp! :D
www.ctrlshft.com

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Amos wrote:5 new jacks, located on the RIGHT side panel:

Pitch CV out
Gate CV out
Mod Bus out (whatever Mod Source is selected -- includes OSC2 audio output)
Pitch Envelope out
Volume Envelope out

-Amos
Those look like great choices. I'll be eagerly awaiting the announcement of price and availability. 8)
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX