Done...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers

Was your brand new Voyager absolutely perfect when you got it?

yes
64%
no
36%

Total votes: 25

alainhubert

Done...

Post by alainhubert » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:43 am

The End.
Last edited by alainhubert on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:23 am

Glad your fix was easy.

The only thing with mine is that it was missing Bank E. But after a simple email I got the bank and loaded it and its perfect. Real simple stuff that I easily overlooked because it was so fixable.

If you do have a problem, they will help you. Thats more than can be said for some other companies out there.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:49 am

I had no problems with my LP Stage I, MoogerFoogers, or other stuff I've purchased from Moog. That includes the services provided. And tech support. When you e-mail them, they promptly respond. If there's a problem, they'll fix it...free of charge unless it was your fault. Even then, sometimes they won't charge. Remember, these things are all built by hand in America. Where are you going to find anything else like that? Roland? Yamaha? Oh yeah...only 400 OS's were/are being built. I agree that this should have been found at the factory, but sometimes things slip by. They are just a small company, after all. Glad everything worked out, though! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:04 am

I bought a new Voyager and the LEDs around the Display didn't work. But it was easy to fix: I opened it and found a loose jack which i plugged into the only free socket. Now it works perfectly!
http://www.psicolor.de

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:00 pm

I've owned a Phatty, 2 RMEs, a Performer and now an Old School. All of them were perfect right out of the box. I've owned synths from a variety of manufacturers and I've found Moog to have the best build quality (and support) out of all of them.

My only issue with Moog is that I keep wanting a new one every 6 months. ;)

Analog!

Post by Analog! » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:06 pm

i will post my result on wednesday when my os arrives

alainhubert

Post by alainhubert » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:09 am

In all fairness I should mention that, aside from the minor flaws mine had, its electronics calibrating was flawless. And that, is the main important thing about an analog synthesizer.

Also, I realize that each one of the +/- 400 Old School produced is assembled by hand (with pride), by dedicated people. And I am confident that if I would have been unlucky enough to get a really defective unit, I would have had excellent support from Moog Music, no doubt.

So this poll is not intended to reflect badly on the company, it is just out of curiosity.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:30 am

Out of curiosity, which music store did you buy from? I've had bad luck with non-Moog items from a couple different music stores. Scratches, dents, new prices, poor service etc. :evil:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:28 am

I bought a new Voyager Performer from Sweetwater. It needed to have the keyboard scanner replaced inside of three days. The pitch bend wheel also kind of catches at the end of its travel when bending the note down. It doesn't really catch, but you can feel it rub against something before it hits the stop. It's not a biggy, but I do notice it.

Lately, I've noticed that if a note is playing when I plug in the work lamp, it slightly changes the sound of the note. I'm hoping this isn't an indication of impending issues with the power supply, as the voltage drop of that lamp shouldn't affect the sound at all, in my opinion. I guess time will tell.

Rudelius

Post by Rudelius » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:19 pm

mayidunk wrote:I bought a new Voyager Performer from Sweetwater. It needed to have the keyboard scanner replaced inside of three days. The pitch bend wheel also kind of catches at the end of its travel when bending the note down. It doesn't really catch, but you can feel it rub against something before it hits the stop. It's not a biggy, but I do notice it.

I have exactly the same problem with the pitch bend wheel on my Old
School, although I find that not too problematic. Much more worrying is
that some keys wont trigger the envelopes and also the pitch stays the
same on those keys. You just have to press a wee bit harder on those
keys to get it done, but that can be very annoying when you play a slow
solo or something. I think Moog is doing everything they can to do it
right, but quality control should improve a bit I guess. I'm sure it will be
solved, I still have a full year of warranty. BTW, I have a Little Phatty
Tribute as well, and it also was not perfectly flawless (it still isn't, but I'm
hoping with the new update it will). Nevertheless I'm still very happy with
both! :-)

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Haha, mine worked beautifully for the first 4 days I got it. Then, the keyboard scanner malfunctioned, and I couldn't play it with the keyboard, and I couldn't get the oscillators out of the low frequencies. What with me being unhandy with synth tech, I had to ship it back to Moog.

Since then, it's worked flawlessly.
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

alainhubert

Post by alainhubert » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:08 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Out of curiosity, which music store did you buy from?...
Mine was bought at a local music store in Montreal called, appropriately enough, Moog Audio.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:38 am

alainhubert wrote:Mine was bought at a local music store in Montreal called, appropriately enough, Moog Audio.
Ah...the Canadian version of Musician's Friend. I've heard some bad things about them on the internets. Of course, whether or not the bad comments were justified, or some people just wanted to badmouth a music store is another matter. :?

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:17 am

Rudelius wrote:
mayidunk wrote:I bought a new Voyager Performer from Sweetwater. It needed to have the keyboard scanner replaced inside of three days. The pitch bend wheel also kind of catches at the end of its travel when bending the note down. It doesn't really catch, but you can feel it rub against something before it hits the stop. It's not a biggy, but I do notice it.

Tribute as well, and it also was not perfectly flawless (it still isn't, but I'm
When you say that the pitch stays the same on those keys, do you mean that you cannot bend the pitch on those keys using the pitch bend, or that the keys are all playing the same note in the same octave? Either way, you might want to call Moog tech support and discuss it with them. It sounds like your OS may need a little work.

Rudelius

Post by Rudelius » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:09 pm

mayidunk wrote:
Rudelius wrote:

When you say that the pitch stays the same on those keys, do you mean that you cannot bend the pitch on those keys using the pitch bend, or that the keys are all playing the same note in the same octave? Either way, you might want to call Moog tech support and discuss it with them. It sounds like your OS may need a little work.
The pitch stays the same in that octave (the pitch bend wheel does work
on those notes, but has the same pitch as the previously pressed note
that does work) and the envelope won't trigger. But when you press
those certain "flawed" keys a bit harder, than it will trigger the envelopes
and the pitch will sound correctly. Some keys act worse than others.
Would that be a typical keyboard scanner problem you think? Or might it
be a misaligned keybed/keyboard (mechanical) problem?