Homemade Controllers

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:32 am

COntroller looks great.

Multimoog is absolutely too much!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

chromium

Post by chromium » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:14 pm

DeFrag wrote:Its hard for me to tell the triggering of the envelopes.
Do notes only hold when you have your finger pressing on the ribbon?
Or will they drone on when you lift your finger?
I actually have the gate latched on the Multimoog, so the notes do just drone on; you just can't hear them when the filter cutoff is cranked down all the way. That's how I give the impression of "triggering" notes at 1:20 in the clip (http://tv.sonicstate.com/play.php?vid=315). The pressure CV output from the controller is just raising the cutoff freq when you apply pressure to the ribbon, and then the audible note reappears.

Every synth is a little different with regard to its CV inputs, and modulation capabilities. You could handle triggering (or the impression of triggering) a number of ways. You could really have a field day on a modular, or even on something like the Voyager OS - which has volume, panning, and a bunch of other fun CV inputs:

Come to think of it, that Voyager OS just exudes coolness! I'm by no means bigoted towards digital stuff, but I get a huge kick out of the fact that its just raw analog goodness - and CV only to boot. Image Who'd-a-thought? In this day and age...

That thing gives me serious "Moog face" just looking at it! Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQE4NSiQuJE
Regards,
Joe

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:29 pm

Moogasm is imminent, captain.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:22 pm

If I give'r any moar she'll blow up, Captain! :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:35 am

So how will the ribbon act on my Little Phatty?

I won't assume they'll drone on after I lift my finger but I might suspect that they'll follow the envelope settings I have on the current patch.

On the other hand, I do have the foot pedal to trigger with so..

In both cases, how will the ribbon act on my LP with regards to triggering?

Tks :)
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

chromium

Post by chromium » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:37 am

DeFrag wrote:So how will the ribbon act on my Little Phatty?

I won't assume they'll drone on after I lift my finger but I might suspect that they'll follow the envelope settings I have on the current patch.

On the other hand, I do have the foot pedal to trigger with so..

In both cases, how will the ribbon act on my LP with regards to triggering?

Tks :)
Looks like you'd have at least a few options available on the LP for triggering or "enveloping" notes that you play on the ribbon:

1) You could plug your footswitch (Moog FS-1 or equivalent) into the "KB gate" jack, and use it to trigger to envelope generators when you want a note to sound

2) If using the pressure sensitive ribbon controller, you could route the pressure CV to the "vol cv" input. You could modulate the amplifier this way, and truly stop the note from sounding when you lift your finger off the ribbon.

3) Same as option 2, but route the pressure CV to the "filter CV" input. This should effectively do the same thing that I was doing on my Multimoog in that video clip

These all assume you have the ribbon CV output connected to the "pitch cv" input on the LP, but you could change that up too. Use pressure CV to modulate pitch, and ribbon CV to modulate filter for some wild effects... and so on.

Half the fun comes in experimenting with all the different permutations. There is no wrong way to use it - just lots of right ways! Image
Regards,
Joe

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:49 am

Tks, continue on our planned course & I'll be in touch.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Tri5onaut

Post by Tri5onaut » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:46 pm

ooh ooh i got another one for the phatty, turn the arpeggiator on , and the filter almost all the way done (to taste) strike a key in tempo. now every time you hit somewhere on the right side of the ribbon , you can fire the notes out ( actually let them pass thru, choppy or smooth ) and get funky with the timing/groove of the arp manually. try this on a 303ish saw wave patch on the lil phatty and you'll never believe it's coming from an arpeggiator. It sounds like it was a meticulously programmed sequence- and you can be as spontaneous as you want! just hit the ribbon in different spots back and forth for variation.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:41 am

Tri5onaut wrote:ooh ooh i got another one for the phatty, turn the arpeggiator on , and the filter almost all the way done (to taste) strike a key in tempo. now every time you hit somewhere on the right side of the ribbon , you can fire the notes out ( actually let them pass thru, choppy or smooth ) and get funky with the timing/groove of the arp manually. try this on a 303ish saw wave patch on the lil phatty and you'll never believe it's coming from an arpeggiator. It sounds like it was a meticulously programmed sequence- and you can be as spontaneous as you want! just hit the ribbon in different spots back and forth for variation.
Which was exactly what I was thinking of when I first saw this. The second thing I was thinking, was "Does it come in green?". When I found out I could get one in green, I thought, "I can afford this by February". And I'll be able to. So now I'm happy! Also, there's the keyboard gate and pitch inputs as well! And my 'Foogers! Geez, I may need more than one of these ribbon controllers. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:29 am

So I ordered one of these ribbon controllers, and so far I am impressed by the responses by Joe. Very good service, and a real pleasure to do business with. He really cares about his customer satisfaction. I'll let you all know when I get my ribbon controller and I'll post a video on YouTube and Vimeo. :mrgreen:

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:31 am

Great to hear Voltor....what kind of controller did you order now....green...bue...yellow with black stripes...5 inch...or 50 inch...??? :wink:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:37 am

Prime NL wrote:Great to hear Voltor....what kind of controller did you order now....green...bue...yellow with black stripes...5 inch...or 50 inch...??? :wink:
Minwax Hunter Green...the standard 20 inch one reverse wired, so that I can modify it into a CV guitar controller. :twisted: You know me too well, Prime NL. :lol:

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:22 am

Chromium, sourcing going alright with our plan.. things moving along?
Take your time mate. I'm buying a pool table but have your controller budgeted when you have things in order for me! :D
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:01 am

dave500

Nice

Post by dave500 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm green with envy. :mrgreen:
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron