Homemade Controllers

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:47 am

Voltor07 wrote:The first thing I'd modify on the VOS sequencer is replace all the mini jacks with 1/4 inch jacks if I was to build one. I'd also have green LED's instead of red ones. That's just me. I can't leave stuff well enough alone. :roll:
1. Get rid of the all step jacks & the main reset jack… replace with a 10-position rotary switch. Mount it under the Rate knob in place of the existing reset jack.

2. Replace all SPDT step switches with DPDT & mount a row of LEDs just below the red LEDs in place of the current step jacks, that would light up solid when a step is off. Replacing all step LEDs with green & the “Off” LEDs would be red. You could even re-tool the cases by eliminating the holes for the step jacks altogether & simply use DPDT switches & bi-color LEDs!

3. I’d use 1/4” output jacks to keep from having to use 1/8” to 1/4” adapters to interface to my other analog gear & I think the washer of a 1/4” jack may in fact be too large & cover their silkscreened labels.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Or, just build your own case and copy the labels. I like the bi-color LED and DPDT switch idea. I have numerous rotary switches, including some from an old token ring hub, so cost isn't a factor for that. I think I will order the barebones VOS sequencer. Great ideas DeFrag! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

dave500

VOS

Post by dave500 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:47 pm

I bought the VOS sequencer kit and I have had lots of fun with it just as it is. I would love to have a Future Retro Mobius or better but for now. 8)
Last edited by dave500 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:19 pm

I need a sequencer so freakin bad, but I wish that they had an analogue unit that had a digital brain like the Voyager so that you could store the settings in memory.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:31 pm

EricK wrote:I need a sequencer so freakin bad, but I wish that they had an analogue unit that had a digital brain like the Voyager so that you could store the settings in memory.
http://www.doepfer.de/maq.htm ;)
30 sequence memories (presets)
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:18 pm

Thanks for that link.

It will have to wait until the after the Taurus Pedals, lol.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:31 am

The Euro's strong in this one, as Darth Vader would say. :shock: Well worth the money, but wow! I thought for some reason the dollar was a little better now. Guess I was wrong. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:48 am

Voltor07 wrote:The Euro's strong in this one, as Darth Vader would say. :shock: Well worth the money, but wow! I thought for some reason the dollar was a little better now. Guess I was wrong. :lol:
Even I think it's expensive stuff. A basic system costs around €1700,-!
For a 6U eurorack filled with basic modules that is..
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:17 am

EricK wrote:I need a sequencer so freakin bad, but I wish that they had an analogue unit that had a digital brain like the Voyager so that you could store the settings in memory.
check out mfb http://www.analoguehaven.com/mfb/step64/ its pretty cheap to

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:47 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:
check out mfb http://www.analoguehaven.com/mfb/step64/ its pretty cheap to
Awesome find, ColorForm! It looks cool, too!

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks. I've been eyeing that sequencer for awhile and the 502 drum machine. the sequencer would work well with the moog stuff since it has midi and cv, and if I understand corectly you could have 4 sequence going at once on monophonic mode. So you could have the bass line, filter, some ring mod and phaser all going at once. With the midi controlling pitch and filter

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:47 pm

i ordered the step64 from nova musik on 11/30/08...i was told it takes 3-4 weeks to get them in from mfb and a couple of days shipping it to me.

(waiting patiently)

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:24 am

sweet! let us know how it works out. yeah i can imagine it would take long to ship since they are located in germany. you would think nova would have them in stock though

Tri5onaut

cv ribbons are back!

Post by Tri5onaut » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:43 am

Hi! i felt i should share with you guys my latest aquired toy, the walking stick 20" cv ribbon controller w/ a scale control of 1-10 octaves (for pitch) / 1-5v. (for filter/cv... ) It is hand made, but not by me. It is fantastic, moog fans here will appreciate the trs wiring that draws power from any moog expression pedal input.
These just came out, and the maker can be reached @ http://members.cox.net/ribboncontrollers/
It has blown my mind, i used a KP3 (in midi control mode) with my little phatty thinking i could do what a dedicated cv ribbon could do. all 3" of touch surface....
For instance, if i plug the ribbon into the powered input (red/white) (non-attenuated, ribbon has attenuator built in!) jacks of the mixer on the CP-251, and mix in lfo 25%, s/h 35%, noise 10%, mix control 100% up, offset under 50%, and the little phatty has the low-pass half way closed, with a arppegiated pad from a jupiter6 - or any poly synth- fed into the external input, you can now touch anywhere on the upper portion of the ribbon to do stutter/pad into's with your bass line untouched, or slowly sweep the filter bringing your atmospheric pad into the mix.
What makes it so crazy for me , with 20" to play with any arp./ seq. starts to take on a "on the run" feel to it now with so much room between voltage values. i couldn't have a robot turn the filter potentiometer with such precision and accuracy.
seriously, imagine a ribbon controller in your head, but more responsive and tactile then you thought possible, and the walking stick emerges from the fog... count me in as a big fan! :D [img]/Volumes/LaCie/pictures/ribbon%20pics/ribbon%20(full).jpg[/img]

Tri5onaut

Post by Tri5onaut » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:46 am

oops.. can't get the pictures to load right, (this is the only forum i read/post on) but the previously mentioned link will take you to some great shots. I need to make a youtube video of this thing in action!