Homemade Controllers

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
chromium

Post by chromium » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:22 pm

Thank you for posting those pictures! It always makes me happy seeing the ribbons installed in their new environments. It does look really nice on your Voyager! Sorry its sitting on the badge, though. See - this is why I need to get my mits on a Voyager and Model D of my own - so I can test this kind of stuff out :twisted:

I really appreciate all the interest and feedback on these. I've been building electronic music projects since I was a kid, and I'm also into doing minor wood and finish repair work on my other hobby - guitars (well, basses actually - my primary instrument). This project has been kind of an interesting extention of both disciplines, and it has been fun developing my skills with woodworking. Luckily I still have all my fingers and haven't poked an eye out yet... :D

I didn't really intend or expect to be building these ribbons, outside of a few for my own wants/needs. It just started as one of those things where if you buy the materials to build one, you have enough to build a dozen. Like a lot of you, I just wanted a simple CV ribbon to use with my analogs. My earlier versions were built completely from scratch using resistive tape in epoxy-sealed elements. I've now switched over to pre-fabricated resistive elements (much like the Doepfer uses). Since I'm just a guy building these ten-or-so at a time, I've been able to adapt my design to incorporate people's feedback, and also do some custom work - like dual tandem ribbons, and special finishes (like whitewash, ebony, natural, etc...).

You can do a lot with a simple CV ribbon, but the real magic is in the interface - like that of the Doepfer R2M, Kurzweil Expressionmate, or Scott Stites' *incredible* "Appendage" ribbon interface for modular synths (look this up on electro-music.com if you haven't already seen it - absolutely brilliant!).

I'd love to be able to offer just a simple, low-cost adjunct box for my (even simpler) controller that would provide gate or trigger info, sample and hold of last note played, and maybe some other features too. This would give the hardwired analog synth players (like me) some additional options. I've been getting geared up to do software based PCB layout, and this will be a focus for me in 2009. I've really enjoyed building and continually refining these controllers, and meeting (well - "meeting" in the virtual sense, anyway :wink: ) a ton of cool people along the way, and I plan to keep at it for some time to come.

Thanks again for your interest in my humble controller, and I hope you all have a happy new year!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:08 am

chromium wrote: Thanks again for your interest in my humble controller, and I hope you all have a happy new year!
So YOU'RE the guy building these walking stick things! Always glad to meet someone who makes the things I need/want. Happy new year yourself!

How do I go about getting a custom job done? I'm thinking Minwax forest green. What's the up charge for a custom job?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:29 am

How many units do you have on hand?

I'll probably buy one tomorrow or the next day for my Little Phatty.

What type of custom units (options) have you built for people?
I'd like to increase the feature-set but don't know what to ask for.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:09 am

chromium wrote:Thank you for posting those pictures! It always makes me happy seeing the ribbons installed in their new environments. It does look really nice on your Voyager! Sorry its sitting on the badge, though. See - this is why I need to get my mits on a Voyager and Model D of my own - so I can test this kind of stuff out :twisted:
Helluw Joe....and welcome to the Moog forum.... :)

It doesn't really sit on the badge though....i just had to move the rubber feet on the back of the controller to another position and it was ok.
I can always cut a piece of the controller so i can see the badge in full glory... :wink:

I even think that if you have a "standard" Voyager that it will be less of a problem as the logo is situated in the middle and the rubber feet lift the controller high enough to "float" over it.

Anyways...thanks again Joe for your Pièce de résistance and i hope you get alot of deals from the nice people over here on the Moog forum. :D

chromium

Post by chromium » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Prime NL wrote:Helluw Joe....and welcome to the Moog forum.... :)
...thanks again Joe for your Pièce de résistance
Thank you- glad you and Tri5onaut like 'em!

Voltor07 and DeFrag - if you want, just shoot me a email if you'd like to talk more about what you are looking for. Regarding custom stains, other than materials (assuming I don't already have the finish) I don't upcharge for that stuff - trying to keep these as affordable as I can. Sometimes it just takes me a little longer to do a custom finish job, as it requires that I have an unfinished enclosure handy. Otherwise, when I build a batch I usually just do 'em all in good ol' walnut.

If you all are interested, here are some other shots of my controllers - a couple of my older 8" ribbons (minimes, as opposed to monomes :wink: ) , and my 20" "prototype" that I built back in November. The 8" ribbons were custom builds for a player of Voyager/Evolvers (no DC power inputs on them). The one on the right has two ribbon surfaces side-by-side:

Here's a better closeup of that dualie, prior to the black finish:

Regards,
Joe

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:31 pm

I asked about the Voyager's Badge, because he had his installed on a Signature Edition, which the Badge is located in the Model D style right hand side of the keyboard. For all other Voyagers, I wondered if it would sit squarely on the wood due to the badge's center location.

Im definately interested, but it might be several months before Im in a position to try to buy one.

My questions are these.

Do they come with any kind of warranty or anything like that?
Can they be configured to scale the Voyager AND the MicroMoog via the attenuator pot?
If I sent you a picture of the Voyager that I have, could you match it with Ash?

THanks,
EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:11 pm

chromium wrote:If you all are interested, here are some other shots of my controllers - a couple of my older 8" ribbons (minimes, as opposed to monomes :wink: ) , and my 20" "prototype" that I built back in November. The 8" ribbons were custom builds for a player of Voyager/Evolvers (no DC power inputs on them). The one on the right has two ribbon surfaces side-by-side:
Wow, I'm certainly interested in one of these. It will have to be a little later in the year, but one of those 8" ones would be perfect for my Voyager/Phatty setup. Those "dualie" ones are sooooo sweet. Where can I email you to ask?
:D

chromium

Post by chromium » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:00 pm

EricK wrote:My questions are these.

Do they come with any kind of warranty or anything like that?
Can they be configured to scale the Voyager AND the MicroMoog via the attenuator pot?
If I sent you a picture of the Voyager that I have, could you match it with Ash?
To be honest, I hadn't given a warranty much thought :oops: Without getting all formal, I think a year on materials/defects would be fair. I would never want to leave anybody in the lurch on something that I built, so if one were to fail I'd do everything in my power to fix it and make it right. And just like my Ebay auctions - if somebody bought one and found it is not a good fit for them, I'd take it back and honor a refund on it.

Even if its something other than a defect, I'm pretty laid back and open to helping people. One customer accidently pinched the cable on his ribbon. I just had him ship it back to me and I fixed it for him gratis.

I'm pretty meticulous with the wiring/soldering/assembly, use copious amounts of heat-shrink tubing to protect and insulate connection points, and I test each one with its respective power adapter prior to turning it loose. I even have an in-house quality assurance team at my disposal, but I haven't had to engage them yet since I'm a pretty low-volume operation :shock: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT4FbdT3-RU

To answer your other questions, the attenuator will serve to scale the ribbon with both your Voyager and your Micro. It functions the same in both modes - powered and passive.

As for the wood, the suppliers I've been using have a pretty limited selection. I've been using poplar since it stains well and has a nice grain to it. I'd need to look around and see if I can get a hold of some other types of wood like ash, but if you send me some pictures I can see if I can match it.

I have my personal email listed in my profile, and any of you are welcome to email me there.
Regards,
Joe

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:46 pm

Nice,
THat sure beats the hell out of a 700 dollar MoogCE Ribbon Controller.

Ill be in touch..

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:18 pm

Chromium: Email sent.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:54 am

DeFrag wrote:Chromium: Email sent.
Same here! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

chromium

Post by chromium » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:24 am

I put together a quick demo clip that features a pressure-sensitive ribbon controller that I built. It'll also give you an idea of how the normal 20" ribbons scale and respond:

http://tv.sonicstate.com/play.php?vid=315

This particular controller outputs separate CVs for both the ribbon and the pressure, with an attenuator for each. In the first part of the clip, I'm using the pressure sensitivity to "envelope" notes played on the ribbon by modulating the Multimoog's filter cutoff freq. In the second half of the clip, I'm using the ribbon and pressure CVs to manipulate a Moogerfooger and an Encore Frequency Shifter.
Regards,
Joe

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:30 am

Nice vid....nice synths and tx for the demo Joe... :)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:33 am

Cool video! Very interesting, seeing this beast in action. You'll be hearing from me in a few weeks. :wink:

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:33 am

Looks good!

Its hard for me to tell the triggering of the envelopes.
Do notes only hold when you have your finger pressing on the ribbon?
Or will they drone on when you lift your finger?

I thought I would have to use my foot pedal to trigger the restarting of the envelopes while using the ribbon.. just as if I was actually hitting different keys on the Phatty's register.

Thanks for the video; I guess I'm still a bit confused as ribbons are still rather new to me.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/