LP: tune problem

Everything Phatty.
Logos

LP: tune problem

Post by Logos » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:48 am

Yesterday was my first day with my new Little Patthy.

After a couple of hours, I noted that the moog was not tuned comparing with another instrument I had (less than a semitone).

The TUNE was to 'AUTO'.

I performed a full calibration using all the range avaible (maybe 8-128).
After this (2 hours) I performed the calibration of second ocillator as reported on manual page 37th.

After these steps the moog was perfectly tuned. I played it for 20 minutes.
I tried to turn off and on and it works fine. After this I went bed.

This morning I woke up and moog is still untuned! The E note plays as a G#!

So, does anybody that can help me? Please!
I read thousand time the manual without any result: what I have to do?

The O.S. is updated to 2.0.

Thanks
Luca from Italy

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:55 am

I had the same experience at first... the tuning began to drift shortly after I bought the synth
I did launch the auto calibration routine, and after a short while, the oscillators went totally bezerk, with the same big gap than yours
The LP started to keep tuned after the second auto calibration only, for some reason
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

batdown

Post by batdown » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:33 pm

try turning the synthesizer on about 30-40 minutes before you play it in AUTO mode. Then fine tune. In auto mode, the LP will adjust itself after a while. I usually turn it on, play some scales/mess around for a bit, then come back and fine tune to start a longer session.

Logos

Post by Logos » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:09 pm

Thanks a lot :D
3 hours ago I calibrate the LP for the second time: it seem to be more stable. There is a little fluctuation on the tune: I'll keep in mind your suggestion. I give you a feedback in a couple of days.
Bye
Thank you
L

rachel

Post by rachel » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:11 am

I have had this problem as well - with my Tribute model.
The symptom is the same with the base note A440 transposed to E# or similar.

When I ran the calibration process, the first time it started at note #12
but constantly retuned over and over the same note and it was definitely very off scale.

So I switched my phatty off for about 30 minutes and recalibrated it. This time it tuned
correctly and has worked fine for the past few weeks. I put the problem down to
temperature variations, as we had some very hot days and cool nights, which
meant the mean temperature of my room was wobbling all over the place.
My System 100 went mad the other night, on a particularly warm night that got
cold all of a sudden as well..

rachel

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:10 pm

I'm curious how everyone tunes their LP's. Do you rely on Auto Tune? Use the Tuning control on the front panel and a tuner? Something else?

I noticed that my new LP is about a half-step flat when I turn it on, but it stabilizes in a minute or two. I'm using the Auto Tune mode.

Bryan

Robby

Post by Robby » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:12 am

Hello . Regarding the fact is my first post here i'd like to greet everyone .
I am facing similar issue with my LP . It seems that i cannot rely on the auto tune function at all at the moment . I've did 2 full calibration yesterday due the fact that the LP gone out of tune like hell. The temperature in the studio is pretty stable so i cannot really blame that. After the last calibration last night everything looked fine. So i turned it off and gone to bed . In the morning the LP was stable too but goes out of tune some minutes ago again .Whole LP one 3'rd down and the 2'nd oscillator detuned again. That is pretty annoying to be honest . Is that nothing you can do guys regarding that fact ?

Kind regards .

PS . Again a new full note calibration . Now it seems that some of the presets are ok and some are out of tune . That is a new issue that i'd never face before . Please . I really need some support .
Appreciate

gazer

Post by gazer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:53 pm

I have had the tuning problem with my second oscillator for at least the last year. Multiple calibrations won't help my lp either. The second oscillator is noticeably a little sharp on every patch that uses both oscillators and doesn't use sync. I have an earlier tribute
edition. I'm hoping the os update will fix the problem.
I have a question. How many of the people with tuning problems have tributes? Is it everyone? My other theory if it's not software is the pitch wheel. Us with older synths have used them more because we have had them longer. Plus i remember Amos saying there was an upgrade replacement for the tributes pitch wheel because there is some part in it that is fairly easy to break. Anyway when i try to calibrate my pitch wheel i get numbers quite different than the range it should be in plus the center calibrating process will never settle on a number. I think i remember the manual saying if the pitch wheel cal. is off it can throw other calibrations off.
I'm probably wrong. But I'm curious if anyone else's tribute pitch wheel is misbehaving too.

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:05 am

...i have the LP stage II... although it was in tune with itself in non-Auto mode, I've found that using Auto Mode (and leaving the LP alone for the first 15 minutes to warm-up) the instrument is spot on in tune... I never seem to have to adjust it to match my software synths, for example. Have not done a calibration at this point. (owned the LP since May of this year)...

Now, I wasn't immune to problems... mine was the LP that needed a new I/O board because the MIDI/USB functions went missing... I guess perfect tuning is my reward for my troubles...

I hope you get your LP sorted out... it really has become the centerpiece of my studio... best, jgirv