Which Moogerfoogers should I get to use with my RME

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
LeRoi

Which Moogerfoogers should I get to use with my RME

Post by LeRoi » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi Moog kids, I have been enjoying my RME for the last month or so. When I purchased the unit, I was fortunate enough to be able to get the vx 351 and 352 expanders. I now have the money to get some of the foogers and just wanted to ask what other people dig using with their Voyagers.

I've been eyeballing "All In One" 3 and 4, leaning towards 3. Could always do a mish mash between the two, I suppose. Thanks :)
Last edited by LeRoi on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeRoi

Re: Which "All In One" should I get to use with my

Post by LeRoi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:46 am

LeRoi wrote:Hi Moog kids, I have been enjoying my RME for the last month or so. When I purchased the unit, I was fortunate enough to be able to get the vx 351 and 352 expanders. I now have the money to get some of the foogers and just wanted to ask what other people dig using with their Voyagers.

I've been eyeballing "All In One" 3 and 4, leaning towards 3. Could always do a mish mash between the two, I suppose. Thanks :)
Well it's back to this question again. I decided to alter my set up. No Future Retro XS for me, I decided to go with a Little Phatty and continue building my faux Moog modular.

What are some of your opinions on 3 foogers to get me in the right direction? I'm not really concerned about them being an "All In One" at this point, just want versatile...weird versatile! LOL!

Right now I'm thinking Phaser, Ring Mod, and Delay. Seems well rounded, in an old school (I cringed typing that) modular sort of way.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:35 am

phaser, ring mod, and delay are good options . i would also consider swapping out the murf for the phaser. i think you could get some weirder stuff that way

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:41 am

If you go to Novamusik.com they can perhaps get you an "All in one" but not necessarily one of the factory decided arrangements. You can probably get a darn good price too.

I guess I second the Phaser RingMod and Delay option, but I woudl have to throw in a Cp251 in there for good measure too.

If I get an all in one its going to have to be a 101 103 and 105 and that will be my filter bank.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:21 am

For sure pick up a CP251 it will allow you to
"control" several things from one spot. For even more control think of adding the Multi Pedal. For actual sound processing the MF 102 is a must. Placing it or the MF103 in the filter loop is hours of fun :). The MF103 is one of the best warmest Phaser’s you'll hear. That said the MF105/B also offers a lot of options, stepped ot smooth sounds, many very phaser like. The MuRF is very rewarding if you spend time to dive into the controls.

Of course the best answer is you need ALL the MoogerFoogers :). They get lonely if their siblings aren't around :).

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:55 am

Brian G wrote:Of course the best answer is you need ALL the MoogerFoogers :). They get lonely if their siblings aren't around :).
Yeah, I realize that I will end up with all of them at some point. This will be my last purchase for some time tho, hence my indecisiveness.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Isn't there going to be some kind of sale in February?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:58 pm

mayidunk wrote:Isn't there going to be some kind of sale in February?
$30 off the price of a MoogerFooger or CP-251. $75 off the price of an LP. $100 off the price of a Voyager. I'm not sure how it works when you buy 3 or more of an item, though. :?

I'd wait until February to buy a few 'Foogers, though. I recommend the 102, 104z, and 107, but that's just me. Those will give you a good starting point. Although, replacing the 107 with the CP-251 might be a better idea. The 251 is an absolute must have, in my opinion. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:11 pm

I tend to use the MF102, 103, 104 then 105 and CP251 the most. The 102 on a Rhodes is fantastic, especially using both audio outs on the 103, ad a little chorusing and reverb going in and you'll really be having fun. The two that work best in the Voyagers filter in/out are the 102 and 103.

Using a 101 and 107 together also works quite well. It all really depends on what you are mainly going for sound wise, as we've said you'll probably at this point get the most mileage out of the 102 and 103 along with the CP251. I still suggest looking into the 105 over the 103 though. If you tend to do a lot of things that are more bass oriented look at the 105B, it has different filter ranges and several different patterns then the 105.

Don't forget to also check out other digital effects like the Lexicon MX200, sending some MoogerFoogers audio out through it can really brings things to life. Then there is always keeping things simple. That's the joy and fun of all this, it can be as simple or as complex as you'd like. the major key though is to have fun and put something together that works for you now with a little room to grow. You can always add more to it later.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:01 pm

i have a voyager old school, which i run 100% of the time through a mixer w/digital delay, reverb and chorus available on the aux's. i tried a mf103 phaser....i ended up selling it because i didn't find it all that useful for my taste/style. i like the pure sound of the synth best (i like my guitar sound like that, too...very little/no effects, just cranked up loud through a suitable tube amp).

i do have both vx-351 and cp-251, though...the LFO on the cp-251 is especially nice to have for slow filter sweeps and auto panning effects, which leaves the old school's onboard LFO for pressure triggered vibrato modulation, as well as controlling other parameters via the vx-351.
Last edited by acorkos on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:34 pm

I second that about the 102 on the Rhodes.
THe 107 on the Rhodes is equally as fantastic in its own way too (Rhodes Dynamic Synth).

Basically youll eventually want them all. All roads lead to modular...

Eric

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:42 pm

I would suggest all of them except the MF-101 because it's rather redundant unless you use it to tame the excellent Freq Box. The CP-251 is awesome and is an essential purchase, but if you're just looking into the pedals, I'd strongly suggest getting the delay, possibly two, at first, then adding the Murf, and the ring mod, with the others following behind.

I did a recording with my Little Phatty Tribute, and used the delay, and I found that it has this way of putting the LP into a really cool sonic environment. It imparts a really warm classic vibe. The Murf can approximate a phaser at certain settings which will hold you over until you get the excellent phaser. Finally, the Ring Mod is just great - just get it, you won't regret it!!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:21 am

I think it all depends on what kind of music you will be playing. I would think the CP251 would be a must. I can't remember if the RME has the effect insert or not. FX like delays don't do too well through the insert because the gate cuts them off once you release the key. Of course you can always add a fooger after the RME's output or via the mixer send/return. I really like the MuRF and the ring mod for my music.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:25 am

peterkadar wrote:I would suggest all of them except the MF-101 because it's rather redundant unless you use it to tame the excellent Freq Box.
Okay there has been a lot of usage of the word redundant lately and let me be the first to tell you that having 2 filters is a totally awesome effect.

1.Lets say that you have a heavy and fast sample and held pitch/filter. Run that through a second Lowpass filter with some resonance that is doing a really really slow sweep....

It is a very nice effect.

2. Lets say that you have a special patch on your synth that has dedicated filtering, and you want to run something else through a filter when you can't multitrack...you need a second filter.

3. Lets say that you want to put a noise source on the CP251 to good use but your synth's filter is already occupied, but you just have to have that surf effect or a laser effect. You need a second filter.

4. Lets say that you wanted to use the filter as a 4th Oscillator for the Voyager or a third for the Phatty. Ill bet you could do that with an extra filter in a oscillatory mode with the resonance all the way up.

5. Then lets say that you don't want a Moog lowpass filter at all because different filters have different sounds. Theres lots of filters out there.

Then think about how many Foogers are filters...3. The phaser the Murf and the LPF are all filters. THen there are bandpass, bandreject, highpass, and multimode filters, then you run all of your high dollar equipment through a filter (an equalizer) to get it sounding perfect. Then the Bass Murf has a LP filter in it and the delay has a LP filter effect.

The only redundancy to be found.....is in this post lol.

Eric
Lets stamp out and abolish redundancy.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:57 am

EricK wrote: Eric
Lets stamp out and abolish redundancy.
Only Chuck Norris can do that with a single roundhouse kick to redundancy's groin. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.