New Moog Guitar?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:07 pm

Moog Computer Admins: Removing April Fool's webpages on 4/2 is why God invented crontabs.

Tibbon

Post by Tibbon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:42 pm

I'm actually thinking (if they haven't actually done it) working on a polyphonic sustainer guitar.

There's two ways to approach it imho

1) Have saddle piezos picking up the sounds. These feed back to separate inductors on each string. You'd want to have a band pass filter that's somewhat tuned for each string in order to block out unlikely pitches and help focus on the fundamental of each.

2) Have saddle piezos that have a pitch->cv conversion in the guitar for each string. Then have a very (much more focused) pitch/tone generated going to an inductor for each string. Basically a super advanced version of the above.

The main problems is that you need a fairly strong magnetic field to vibrate the string nonstop. These interact with each other and would likely cause dead notes or dissonant notes on ajoining strings to fight each other. Either somehow (unsure if this is physically possible) having it so they are somewhat focused directly at the string OR more likely having them spaced (every other one in the center pickup, and the others in the neck pickup or in some stepped configuration that allows nearly an inch of spacing). This could lead to a bit of unevenness that might need tuned out. Of course you could only use the bridge (or piezo) pickups then.

The attack on them would still be slow or needed from plucking the strings. Obviously this isnt' going to support speed picking, but perhaps longer chords and things they demonstrated could be possible.

Anyone that says a guitar can't sustain dissonant notes has apparently never played a chord and let it ring. It dies down to a more fundamental note, but for a second or two maintains all of them.

I'm curious at looking more at the physics of how a violin/cello bow works on the strings however. It can hit 3 strings at a time and make them all vibrate, but they are all vibrating against the same bow. Makes me wonder if something a single lower frequency going across the strings could make them all sustain.
Signature #144

LDT

Post by LDT » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:41 am

Aren´t Sustainiac pickups polyphonic?

Tibbon

Post by Tibbon » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:49 pm

No. From the Sustainiac FAQ:
http://www.sustainiac.com/faq.htm#q25

Can I sustain chords with the Sustainiac sustainers?

Sustainers work "so-so" on this. They are mainly solo devices. You can get some good doubles, and even a few triples to sustain on most instruments. You can play a 6-string chord which will tend to swell for a second or two. But then, one, two, or sometimes three strings will usually "win out" after a few seconds. This is true in general for both acoustic and magnetic type sustainers. We do quite a lot of electronic processing to equalize the performance of large diameter strings and small diameter strings on Sustainiac sustainers. However, the physics of both types of sustainer favors the sustained vibration of the larger strings.

On magnetic sustainers like the Stealth, the larger strings are more easily pulled by the magnetic driver. On acoustic sustainers like the Model B, the wood more readily transmits low frequency sounds.
Signature #144

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:24 am

I knew about this *product* two months ago..

Anyway, it seems like a diplomatic movement to me.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:50 pm

I have to say, I think it is sort of funny how guitarists really get a chubby in their pants when they find a pedal or guitar that makes their notes sustain for a really long time.....i mean whatever gets you off.....
but honestly are people really impressed when you are playing a show and just just let a note ring? I sure as heck am not.....but maybe that type of music i am just not interested in.....

chombymook

Post by chombymook » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:00 pm

electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:I have to say, I think it is sort of funny how guitarists really get a chubby in their pants when they find a pedal or guitar that makes their notes sustain for a really long time.....i mean whatever gets you off.....
but honestly are people really impressed when you are playing a show and just just let a note ring? I sure as heck am not.....but maybe that type of music i am just not interested in.....
Do you take the release knob off your synths?

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:06 pm

electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:I have to say, I think it is sort of funny how guitarists really get a chubby in their pants when they find a pedal or guitar that makes their notes sustain for a really long time.....i mean whatever gets you off.....
Kenny G got in the world record books for holding a sustained note for 45 minutes.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:26 pm

Kenny G got in the world record books for holding a sustained note for 45 minutes.

Take a look at this from another perspective...

Kenny G playing Lincoln Center, where tickets are very expensive, decided to self-indulge himself to the point of costing his fans 10's of thousands of dollars.
If you were a Kenny G fan before, would you pay to see him again if his concert consisted of him holding one note for 3/4th's of an hour?
Is his ego worth THAT much?

See also: http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

MC

Post by MC » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:31 pm

EricK wrote:Kenny G got in the world record books for holding a sustained note for 45 minutes.
Which is a fair reflection of his improvisation talent...

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:38 am

The concert was so boring and flat that...

The audience couldn't tell at what point he was auctually trying for the susatined note record
Electronic Violinist here

ramechling

Post by ramechling » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:18 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:
Kevin Lightner wrote:If anyone buys the Moog guitar, I can offer a special on some beachfront mountain property in Montana.
SOLD!!! LMAO
Hee Hee...won't everyone be surprised at SWEETWATER'S GearFest on May 31st when the "mythical" Moog Guitar is demonstrated ?
http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/gearf ... /chart.php
"Musicians are magicians" - W. Carlos

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:37 pm

With consideration that Moog advertised the guitar only on April Fool's Day and that there are no beaches or ocean in Montana, the offer is still good as the day it was made. :)

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:30 pm

The Sweetwater thing must be a seminar on using new media and tech props to create pranks.

Or maybe just a continuation of the original prank - curtain rolls back, sign on the stage says "gotcha again!"

Kevin, that property sounds tempting...

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:29 am

[quote="dr_floyd"]

Or maybe just a continuation of the original prank - curtain rolls back, sign on the stage says "gotcha again!"
quote]
that would be hillarious! next thing you know Moog will have a prank web-show... "Moog'd"