bass murf vs murf

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
talon

bass murf vs murf

Post by talon » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:29 pm

i am about to get a bass murf in a giant trade.. and i am just wondering what to expect from it.. how similar is it to the murf? any reason to have both? i think a voyager is in my future so i am not sure if i will keep the bass murf, if it is similar to the regular ole murf

thanks

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:39 pm

the eq's are set different, and there is a low pass rahter than a band pass on the lowest slider.

also the rhythm patters are different, and I find the Bass more groove oriented, these are the only ones i use a LOT on the standard.. i have a paper with the groove patterns taped to the back of mine for quick reference on the fly.

Please Moog, release some way for us to change our stock Murf patterns!
Electronic Violinist here

strata189

Post by strata189 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:28 pm

+1 for tweakability on the patterns!

Randall

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:36 am

It is almost Anti Moog to have 24 presets you have to follow.

come on.. tweakable Murf :)

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:59 am

I would love to have some kind of pattern programability in the MuRF too!

Maybe have a monophonic "CV control mode" with a CV "Freq" input on the pedal which would assign each note as it is played, into one of the sliders. If you really wanted to go crazy you could have a "transpose" CV in to vary the existing programs.

Or even have another seperate pedal or CP style half rack with a CV jacks for each slider (using a jumper cable to the existing board). This would be my favorite option.

You could even take the patterns off the pedal completely and have 4 (or more) trigger busses to switch between, but that would make it less useful for a guitarist.

At least they gave us the ability to control how it steps through the with a trigger "Step" input. That to me gives a ton of variation above the normal pedal sound and made this pedal far more useful to me as it can be sync'd with my setup.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:35 pm

MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:31 pm

Please Moog, release some way for us to change our stock Murf patterns!
I've always wondered about this. If you look inside, you can see a row or two of jumper pins. Presumably, this is for for programming the digital IC processor.

If you wanted to change the presets, you would probably need the source code for the processor. If you had that, then you could possibly hack your own MuRF, so I doubt Moog would release it.

Bryan, your idea looks great!

My preference would be to have a MIDI input going to the MuRF. The filters would be triggered in a fashion similar to a MIDI drum map. (So each filter would be controlled by a MIDI note on message, each with a unique MIDI note number.)

How about it, Moog? :D :D

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:30 pm

Midi sounds great to me, "Midi MuRF"! Then you could add more control to the filters and a master clock too.

I also have taken a look inside the box to see what is under the hood. Maybe they could do an updated version with more jumpers or a serial connector?

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:00 am

I have speculated about hacking it as well.. i am just not willing to burn that much money when I dont' really know enough.

it would also be nice to have an out from each channel, after each of the vcas

I would be happy if, similiar to the PSIM module that only has like 300 made, and no way to get. http://www.synthmodules.com/psim-1.htm, you could connect the jumpers to the board to a usb cable and even have an open source/ user written deal. i would program a bunch of programs and ways to emphasize the beat that are similiar to my playing, and probably not reprogram it for another 6 months..

if it has digital intergration, we have got to figure this out if it is even possible.
searching for "patched murf" is useless- as Moog is patching, and 1/2 the "hacked murf" searches turns up threads I have posted in... :/

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:19 am

That looks sweet! Too bad they are all sold out. Glad to see this kind of thing exists anyhow.

If you click on the link above and it shows nothing, delete the comma after htm (in the address bar) and it will show up.