RME - severe problems with sequencing.....

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
oscargrouch

RME - severe problems with sequencing.....

Post by oscargrouch » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:37 am

I have had a 2.0 RME for 2 years now and used it with both logic 7 pro and ableton live 5. However the problem that has just not gone away not matter what i do is that inputing notes on it wont work.

to go into detail;

(i sequence all my notes via midi card and the host app)

it works fine if say you input c2 , then stop , then play c3, stop , play b2 ..etc etc

the problem is if you want to input a legato phrase or trills. e.g

hold d3 down and play d4 on every other quaver

or

d3 held down for a whole bar under an ascending d major scale for that sort of pedal thing classical people do alot

or

a 303 esque acidy line sliding all over theplace

it will just play the d and not register any of the other notes.

the only way to play the phrase would be to leave gaps between the notes ---> so basically i cannot input any legato,trills, acidy sort of basslines , nothing just plinky plonky stop start phrases which is a real shame.

i have changed between single and multi trigger and higher,lower,last,1 key only and it does nothing. the only way to play a legato phrase is to zoom into 1/196 resolution and make the notes join by a 1/392 of a note... not a fun task.

:(

please help!

i have used loads of hardware and VSTs over my 5 years producing and nothing has behaved this way....

dlearyus

Its Monophonic

Post by dlearyus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:10 am

when you hold down a key there is a midi "note on" sent when you release its "note off".. because the rme is "monophonic" when you hold down a key "D" for instance....then hit a "G" the G sends note on which essentially replaces the last D note on...when you release the G it sends note off but until you retrigger the D key it will not send another "note on" midi message. I susspect this is your problem but its not a "problem" this is how monophonic midi works. the only way around it is to record the "audio" from the RME or manually edit. I may be off track here but i hope it helps

cheers :)

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:30 am

There are two issues at work here. It is true that there has to be a slight gap between consecutive notes; the Voyager will not always pick up a noteOn that is immediately after the previous noteOff. This is a nuisance when sequencing on a grid; what I usually do is just turn off "snap to grid" for a minute so I can freely resize the note length and drag all the endpoints of my notes back just a titch. By turning off snap to grid, I don't have to zoom in to 196th notes to get the same effect.

However, this only affects sequential notes sequenced on a grid, not your other example where you are holding down d3 and playing d4 on every other quaver. That should work fine, however it is affected by the note priority which is saved per patch. This is found on the Edit menu under "keyboard modes." Note priority refers to what happens on a monosynth if you hold down a key and then press another key. Obviously, it being a monosynth, you are only going to hear one pitch or the other; note priority dictates which note you'll hear. A lot of Moog patches are saved with "Lower Key" priority, which means that if you hold a low note and then press a high note, the low note has priority and the high note is ignored. Conversely if you held the high note and played alternating low notes it would work as you are expecting; you'd hear the high note, then it would jump to the low note, then jump back to the held high note when the low note is released. This is again because the low note has "priority" so it interrupts any higher note that is playing.

What you want is to set the Keyboard mode to "Last Key" which means you can hold any note and then do trills to any other note, no problem.

Now, as for the first problem of playing legato instead of plinky plonky stop-start phrases... you can't just sequence to the grid or you'll get dropped notes, but you can overlap notes that you want to play legato and it works fine... what I mean is, say you want a legato transition between a C and a D, drag out the end of the C so that it ends AFTER the beginning of the D... it won't miss the D note, it will play legato. Provided that the Keyboard Mode is set to Last Note priority, that is. This should always work, just overlap any notes that you want to play legato and put any space at all between notes that you don't want to be legato.

Also, you can play with your volume envelope release times to adjust how plinky-plonky the dynamic is. Long release times will create notes that tend to blend in with each other more.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:46 pm

**UPDATE** so Rudi Linhard and I have looked at this more closely, and the problem (sequenced notes on a grid not always picking up) appears to be a fixable bug. He is working on it...

Thanks for your feedback!

-Amos

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Amos wrote:**UPDATE** so Rudi Linhard and I have looked at this more closely, and the problem (sequenced notes on a grid not always picking up) appears to be a fixable bug. He is working on it...

Thanks for your feedback!

-Amos
awesome!!! :)
www.ctrlshft.com

oscargrouch

Post by oscargrouch » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:50 pm

hello,

thanks for looking into it amos!

its a really terrible problem as i only sequence, so my usage of the rme is really limited.... even if i change it to "last key" it makes no difference, the RME will only play notes that do not overlap with others, so legato is a no no sadly...

any updates on the bug fix?? i love every other feature on the rme so will hold on for the patch, which says alot as any other synth with such problems would have been sold ages ago!

dan.

phoenix224

Post by phoenix224 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:17 pm

oscargrouch wrote:hello,

thanks for looking into it amos!

its a really terrible problem as i only sequence, so my usage of the rme is really limited.... even if i change it to "last key" it makes no difference, the RME will only play notes that do not overlap with others, so legato is a no no sadly...

any updates on the bug fix?? i love every other feature on the rme so will hold on for the patch, which says alot as any other synth with such problems would have been sold ages ago!

dan.
Dan,

Have you had any luck getting legato to record and play properly in Logic? I am considering buying a Voyager, but if I can't record legato (with overlapping notes) into Logic's sequencer, it would be a dealbreaker for me.

Please let me know.

Thanks.