LP with Fat Controller questions

Everything Phatty.
mlanson

LP with Fat Controller questions

Post by mlanson » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:47 am

Hi, so I've got some questions.. Still learning.

I just bought the LP and I plugged my Fat Controller CV/Gate/MIDI sequencer into it…

It looks like I can only control the Filter, pitch, and volume with the CV, notes with Midi (minus the slide unfortunately), and gate makes a choppy sound trigger wherever you plug it.

1) am I missing something? (what am I missing really)
2 ) what aspect of the filter exactly am I controlling with CV? (cutoff, resonance, etc??)
3) can I control the filter with software as well?

Thanks a lot! And thanks in advance for your patience with me.

dave500

Software control

Post by dave500 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:04 am

You can control a lot of functions with software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZyp9VFmgoQ
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

mlanson

Post by mlanson » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:45 pm

That's awesome! So I guess with the right software sequencer, I could replace the Fat Controller, and expand on it?

Any suggestions for a great software sequencer? I've seen a lot of posts on the subject but no real recommendations for software yet?

Thanks

dave500

software

Post by dave500 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:03 pm

What I use is Ableton Live. You can download the demo.

http://www.ableton.com/pages/downloads/ ... ey=D_00_70
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

mlanson

Post by mlanson » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:33 pm

I've been meaning to check that out but I've been stuck on cubase. Someone said the other day that he uses them both for different things.

Now I have another reason to try it.

Thanks.

robles

Post by robles » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:20 pm

Cubase works fine for sending midi signals into the LP. If you have a version with midi effects units you can do things like send LFO's to any function that responds to midi. I really like the high resolution of the pitch bend on the LP and Cubase records it quite nicely with full resolution. I often use it to control other synths sending it thru Cubase.

mlanson

Post by mlanson » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:32 pm

Are you referring to something more than the after touch, program, etc options at the bottom of the cubase note/key editor? (the ones you draw vertically with the little pencil tool)

Thanks

robles

Post by robles » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:12 am

That controller lane at the bottom of your key editor can send changes to any midi controller number you want to send it to. Every function on the LP that responds to midi (just look at the midi controller list of the LP manual) can be changed by simply selecting the appropriate midi controller number and drawing in the changes in the controller lane.

Which version of Cubase are running btw?

sergiovalente9

Re: software

Post by sergiovalente9 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:34 am

dave500 wrote:What I use is Ableton Live. You can download the demo.

http://www.ableton.com/pages/downloads/ ... ey=D_00_70
The same here. Ableton Live is great and gets very well with LP

mlanson

Post by mlanson » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:00 am

After so many recommendations, I need to install Abelton. take the tutorials. but I'll check out the midi control list as well, thanks. (Running Cubase 3 SX)

There's just so much to read now that I went from zero synths to two synths last weekend.

The other is a Prophet '08. It's basically the best synth I've ever played. But I needed a bigger bassline, so I had to get the Phatty too.

Wish I could play all night, gotta go to work tomorrow :(

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:01 am

Prophet '08 and Little Phatty? Killer combo! Go, American Analog! ;)
I use Ableton Live a lot with my LP... feel free to ask this forum any questions you may have. I think you'll get a lot of help.

Oh, and if you ever decide you don't need the Fat Controller, let me know, OK? I've been wanting one of those for a while. 8)

Cheers,

Amos

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:23 am

Reason is good as well and im sure that you can find some version of it on the jolly roger style.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

mlanson

Post by mlanson » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:30 pm

I didn't know reason controlled anything more than reason?

Looks like I have another manual to read.

Thanks

robles

Post by robles » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:01 pm

Any decent program with a sequencer has the ability to send out midi controller data. A lot of people are suggesting Ableton Live. The big reason to go for Ableton is it's ability to be used as a pattern sequencer. That is, you create short phrases that you mix and match to create songs on the fly in a live situation. If what you are doing is straight linear recording, Cubase SX is more than sufficient for your needs.

One of the annoying things about Cubase though is that in the controller lane when you drop down the menu, it only lists parameters according to their standardized names, not by controller number which would be so much easier for you. If you want the controller numbers used by the LP you'll have to go into the controller lane setup and choose the controller numbers that the LP uses.

Now, since you have Cubase SX, you can add in the AutoPanner midi effect into the midi track you send into your LP. The AutoPanner's default is set to midi controller 10, which is the standard midi number for Pan. But you can change the number to any one you like. Voila, you have a LFO going to any midi controlled parameter on the LP.

mlanson

Post by mlanson » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:39 pm

My keyboard playing needs so much help, I’m looking for sequencer that draws a little more inspiration out of me. I’ve never liked drawing in the Cubase key editor, so I generally end up just recording live playing (with the auto quantisize on) and then editing it obsessively.

If ableton fosters a creative sequencing environment, something more than cubase’s key editor, then I think I’m going to like it.

In addition to sequencing/controlling filters, I would also like to see how LP reacts to a 303-esque sequencer with a slide which is why I bought the Fat Controller, but the slide doesn’t work on midi (!). I’m wondering if Reason won’t have something like this?

I still want to try out what you said in regards to cubase. Maybe I just don’t use cubase to it’s fullest and am therefore not completely satisfied?