EP-2 Pedal vs. Roland EV-5

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
dizz

EP-2 Pedal vs. Roland EV-5

Post by dizz » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:37 pm

Hello,
I use a Roland EV-5 pedal straight into my Vger for Volume, Mod 1 controller, etc.. and it seems to work fine. Would I gain anything performance wise getting a EP-2?

regards,

dizz

Gonga

Post by Gonga » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:16 pm

I own both pedals...the Moog is new.

I haven't really "tested" them but they basically perform very similarly. I think the build quality on the Moog is a lot better, but really only time will tell. The Moog is much taller (a full inch or so) and longer and weighs much more (3-4 times). I would venture that the potentiometer is a higher quality, but my EV-5 is a few years old and works great also.

dizz

Post by dizz » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:00 pm

Hey Gonga,

I just wondered what the +5V at the ring means. Does the EP-2 have a battery or what? The specs for the EV-5 don't mention anything about voltage at the ring. I'm obviously an electrical idiot and apologize in advance if these questions are completely stupid. I just want to make sure I have the best pedal for the job.

regards,

dizz

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:38 pm

The 5V comes from the effects unit you plug into. No batteries required!

MFenkner

Post by MFenkner » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:38 pm

Surprisingly those Roland pedals last a long time despite the all-plastic build. My first I bought when I was in my teens (I think it was the same model - it looked the same) and lasted me 10 years before I gave it away - and maybe it's still going strong. My current one is 10 years old and showing no signs of wear. But I'm still interested in buying the Moog pedal because I need another.

Mark

nathan

Post by nathan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:15 pm

i could imagine the hight could be a problem.
less reference to the floor and you have to get your foot up there.
this could mean moving the pedal prematurely.

well, i am going to use the ep2 in a semi-electronic drumkit, so it could be shitty that the heelposition is not that close to the floor. (like with the ev2)

still ordered one though..
i'll give it a try.
2-piece drumkit/4x diy-triggers/1x diy-mixer-preamp/2x clavia micromodular

dizz

Post by dizz » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:53 am

Thanks for the replies,

I've used a couple of these (EV-5's) at home for a few years now and they seem to work OK. If I still gigged I'd probably get the heavier duty EP-2.
I did go back to the manual and read up on the control input voltages and how they work with a pedal plugged in-I think I get it now. :oops:

Hey Nathan, what is your pedal going to control in your drumkit? Sounds interesting.

regards,

dizz