Heavy Metal Phatty Demo

Everything Phatty.
Amos

Post by Amos » Mon May 14, 2007 11:12 am

?? who cares if it sounds like a genuine guitar? It's a lead being played on a keyboard, in the spirit of traditional metal-guitar leads. The point isn't to emulate an acoustic instrument flawlessly; the point is to rock out. Mission accomplished, I say. :cool:

doctorno

Post by doctorno » Mon May 14, 2007 12:13 pm

Amos wrote:Mission accomplished, I say. :cool:
You are not playing guitar, are you?

Well, as I said, the LP sounds great in the piece Zorn has presented to us. It sounds great in his own right. But if you would like to reproduce the "spirit of traditional metal-guitar leads" - use a guitar - do not use a keyboard, it does not work.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon May 14, 2007 12:35 pm

No I do not play guitar. I agree with you DoctorNo, there is no question that you can't play metal guitar except with a guitar. That's like saying you can play a Minimoog lead on a Microkorg. Your position is that of a purist. This is OK. My belief is that you can say that you are inspired by guitar style and sound, and make cool music... it's OK if what you are doing doesn't sound anything like what has inspired you. As long as you are not pretending it is somehow the same thing, and Zorn is certainly not pretending that this is a guitar in his music. So, I don't think it's Rubbish... but I do understand where you are coming from.

"it sounds great in its own right" <-- Here is where we agree. :)

doctorno

Post by doctorno » Mon May 14, 2007 1:32 pm

Amos wrote:That's like saying you can play a Minimoog lead on a Microkorg. Your position is that of a purist.
Sure I am a purist :D ... This is the reason why I have bought a Moog synthesizer ... the Moog Little Phatty ... and the Moog LP is the best synthesizer, that I have ever bought ... but I have bought the LP for the things that I cannot do with my guitar. In the end I think we agree.

Zorn

Post by Zorn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:14 am

I was out for a couple of months and I lost this thread...
I'm pleased you liked this track!

I really like Daft Punk, and the song Aerodynamic in particular, so I was only trying to recreate that kind of lead sound...
I've never been able to understand if that sound was made with a guitar or a synthesizer (maybe both...), so that's how my sound came out.

The funny thing is that every time I play this sound, it makes me play in a different way than any other "classic" keyboard lead sound...
I find really amusing playing with a guitar style on a keyboard!!!

I wasn't trying to steal the job of my guitarist... :lol: