Synth/Moog Recommendations? I'm a beginner.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Farfromahero12

Synth/Moog Recommendations? I'm a beginner.

Post by Farfromahero12 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:38 pm

Trying to do some home recording with a synth, and wondering what kind of synth/moog would be best to do music in the style of Daft Punk? Preferrably with a bank of preloaded tones as well as creatable tones. Nothing too pricey, please. Also, any beat generator/drum machine recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :D

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:17 am

I would recommend you start with a virtual analog sizer… It is much easier to hook up to computers and is polyphonic and multitimbral. A used vintage synthesizer needs love and care… if it needs to be repaired it might coust a lot of money.

Check out the Alesis ION, it is a competent sizer the sounds really analog.
http://www.alesis.com/products/Ion/

Then if you like the sound and the way a analog sizer works you can buy a little monophonic analog sizer e.g. Moog Prodigy, Roland SH9/SH2/SH101, Sequential Circuits Pro~One. :lol:

Good luck!!

Kind regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:35 am

They (daft punk)also use a alot of samples. So go out there and listen to lots of music. Buy cheep records and make something terible good... All kinds too. Daft Punk even samples Barry Manalow!

Some cool cheap samplers are the Roland SP series. The 202 and the latest the 404 run on batteries and have built in mics.

And again go out and listen to all sorts of music.
http://www.myspace.com/sirdsssound
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Scott_Stone

doctorno

Post by doctorno » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:13 pm

I agree that you should start with a virtual analogue synthesizer, but I do not agree that an Alesis Ion would be the right choice. Of all the VAs I know (and I know most of them) the Ion is the least analogue sounding. No VA sounds exactly like an analogue synth, but some are closer than others. You should also consider how easy and intuitive the interface of the synth is to use.

Having said all that I would recommend a used Clavia Nord Lead 1, Nord Lead 2 or 2x - this one sounds almost as good as an analogue synth and is very easy to use (one knob per function).

There are other good VAs: the Creamware ASB synths, the Access Virus, the Waldorf Q ... all of them better sounding than the Ion ...

It depends on your budget. If you have got enough money, a combination of a Moog Little Phatty and a Nord Rack could be a very good choice as well, if money is a problem (and money is a problem most of the time) get a Nord Lead on ebay.

Farfromahero12

Post by Farfromahero12 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:38 am

What is it that I would need to play something like this through? I play guitar as well, and I have amps and a tone port from Line 6 that I think has a plug in for a keyboard. Thanks again.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:03 pm

Get a Korg Electribe EA-1 (blue color) off Ebay. It's an all in one sequencer and synth and you can get it for $80-$100. It does Daft Punk type sounds and can run on it's own. You can even run your guitar through it.

For drums, I'd get a EmU Proteus/MoPhatt/Xtreme Lead and add the Rob Papen Techno Construction yard ROM chip to it.

elanmak

Post by elanmak » Wed May 02, 2007 4:40 pm

[quote="Farfromahero12"]What is it that I would need to play something like this through? I play guitar as well, and I have amps and a tone port from Line 6 that I think has a plug in for a keyboard. Thanks again.[/quote]

an amp

When I started with Synths, I was thinking I was going to be Daft Punk.

Get a Sampler if that's what you want

miket156

Post by miket156 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:21 pm

Quote by doctorno:

"I agree that you should start with a virtual analogue synthesizer, but I do not agree that an Alesis Ion would be the right choice. Of all the VAs I know (and I know most of them) the Ion is the least analogue sounding. No VA sounds exactly like an analogue synth, but some are closer than others. You should also consider how easy and intuitive the interface of the synth is to use.

Having said all that I would recommend a used Clavia Nord Lead 1, Nord Lead 2 or 2x - this one sounds almost as good as an analogue synth and is very easy to use (one knob per function).

There are other good VAs: the Creamware ASB synths, the Access Virus, the Waldorf Q ... all of them better sounding than the Ion ...

It depends on your budget. If you have got enough money, a combination of a Moog Little Phatty and a Nord Rack could be a very good choice as well, if money is a problem (and money is a problem most of the time) get a Nord Lead on ebay."

doctorno:

I don't know what you've been listening too, but the ION is a very inexpensive way of emulating vintage analog equipment without spending the the $$$ on a real analog and having to maintain it.

So you say a Nord Lead sounds more analog than an ION? The ION is the LEAST analog sounding? I think not. Although the Nord products are of higher quality than Alesis, they are very clean and "digital" sounding than the ION. Sometimes you may want a digital sound, but not for emulating vintage analogs. They are also somewhat more expensive than the ION.

I have owned 2 Mini Moogs, 3 different Oberheims, still have a Prophet 5, an Arp Odyssey, and a Moog Source, so I have vintage analogs in the same music room as my ION. I have A/B'ed the ION to several patches on my vintage gear, and I can get very close to their vintage sound. I will agree that no VA sounds like a vintage analog because the technology is quite different. So is the price. An ION sells for $599.00 brand new in the US. All the other synths you mentioned are more expensive than the ION and I don't know that any of them other than the Creamware products are going to do as good a job on RA sounds than the ION.

Alesis is know for budget synths, a lot of bang for the buck. Sure, you can buy higher quality synths with more voices, but you can't get a better value. Its a good place to start.

Mike T.