digital noise and stage edition

Everything Phatty.
janus

digital noise and stage edition

Post by janus » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi,

What's about the well known noise of the tribute, which is getting into the filter with high volumes or distortion levels?
I have read that this could be fixed by firmware but I think it's more a hardware issue.
Is it fixed with the stage edition ?

greetings
Volker

synthpimp

Post by synthpimp » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:48 pm

Copied from my post in another thread...

I'm happy to report that the annoying keyboard scanning noise has been squelched with the release of the Stage Edition. No longer are there digital artifacts in the audio path even when applying a hefty dose of overload which was my main gripe with the TE.

I believe it was more of a hardware issue in the Tribute.

geoscience

Post by geoscience » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:28 pm

This issue has been fixed with the Tribute as well with the OS update. Switching the EGR Matrix to OFF will totally eliminate the sound! I think this was accomplished by some very, very clever programming in the new OS. Hats off to the Moog crew!!! The Tribute now sound as good as it should!

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:07 pm

geoscience wrote:Switching the EGR Matrix to OFF will totally eliminate the sound!
But then we live without EGR controls. Can it be resolved w/o taking the EGR section out of the mix? What if another issue comes up that can be fixed by only running one oscillator? :shock:
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

babamoog

Post by babamoog » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:16 pm

You can compensate somewhat for the loss of the egr buttons by mapping any of the pots to an egr function.

damianschwartz

Post by damianschwartz » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:58 pm

incredible, i can´t believe this is true, soooooo, what we paid for? wood panels? is here somebody from moog who can tell us? so... no 2mod destination, ok, but we have to take of egr to kill the noise! some more issues???
TR-808; x0xb0x; Little Phatty; Machinedrum; Dave Smith Evolver

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:33 am

I had a big talk with the engineers here... the summary of which is that there are some very good reasons to appreciate the Tribute Edition, and some things it has that the Stage does not. They are two different instruments. I predict that the Tribute will become highly sought after in time, and not just for its relative rarity.

One thing I can tell you about is that the Tribute has more RAC (real analogue control) functions... almost every panel function you can assign to a knob is RAC-enabled, meaning that the analogue pot is switched directly into the relevant circuit when active, for total, hands-on analogue control. On the Stage, to cut costs there are several panel functions which do not use RAC.
I don't have a complete list, this is off the top of my head. Don't worry Stage folks, the filter section is all RAC-enabled except for Filter KB Amount. I think it's the EG section that is not RAC except for Sustain level, and some of the oscillator functions also...

anyway I wish I could go into more detail but the product is so new, I really can't discuss what it is doing on a deep architecture/circuitry level... but I am serious when I say, the Stage and Tribute are two different instruments, both of them have their strengths... and each of them offer unique and good things which the other does not have. I hope that all LP owners will appreciate their synths... they each have so much to love! :)

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:57 am

The egr matrix off function works but isnt ideal...
Last edited by goldphinga on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Wobble

Post by Wobble » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:02 am

One thing I can tell you about is that the Tribute has more RAC (real analogue control) functions... almost every panel function you can assign to a knob is RAC-enabled, meaning that the analogue pot is switched directly into the relevant circuit when active, for total, hands-on analogue control. On the Stage, to cut costs there are several panel functions which do not use RAC.
I don't have a complete list, this is off the top of my head. Don't worry Stage folks, the filter section is all RAC-enabled except for Filter KB Amount. I think it's the EG section that is not RAC except for Sustain level, and some of the oscillator functions also...
Just to clarify, despite some features not being RAC enabled, they will still be analog right? (not software driven)

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:45 am

sorry for the confusion - YES everything in the signal path, and the envelopes, are pure juicy analogue. RAC only refers to how the knobs on the panel control those analogue circuits. With a RAC-enabled control, the potentiometer is switched directly into the analogue circuit, so that you have direct control. If RAC is not enabled, then the potentiometer is scanned (like on the Voyager) and this is then used to create a control voltage for the circuit. In either case, you are still ultimately tweaking on an analogue circuit...

I haven't had my coffee yet, so I hope this makes sense.

Another big reason why the Tribute rocks: You have analog trim pots all over the board inside, so you can calibrate the thing manually... I know we have automatic note calibration now which is cool, but for just for an example the envelope times... these can be calibrated by hand and adjusted to perfection on the Tribute edition. There are many fewer trim pots inside the Stage Edition (they're expensive!) so there is less you can tweak & fine-tune, if you're into that. Just another example of something that will I think be praised and desired about the Tribute Edition in the future. :)

Cheers,

Amos

janus

Post by janus » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:21 pm

Another big reason why the Tribute rocks: You have analog trim pots all over the board inside, so you can calibrate the thing manually...
Sorry, but why should one prefer a manuell calibration over an automatic calibration ?
I think most people are players rather than technicians who are able to open the phatty for servicing :?:

I am disappointed by the fact that I bought a moog especially for the analog sound quality and have to deal with DIGITAL noise in a lot of presets I have made.
To switch of the envelope controls in a players keyboard is a joke.

Volker

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:14 pm

did you just call your lp a keyboard?

Xenollop

Post by Xenollop » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:26 pm

hahaha

I always feel guilty calling my LP a keyboard... :lol:
Little Phatty Tribute #525, MF-102, MF-105, APC40, LPD8, Ibanez SR3000E Bass

janus

Post by janus » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:55 pm

did you just call your lp a keyboard
:D Sorry, this is not my native language.
A Keyboard is most likely something like a casio or so.

Nevertheless I think you know what I mean.

greetings
Volker

Assar

Post by Assar » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:06 pm

janus wrote: :D Sorry, this is not my native language.
Don't be sorry.
Your english is propably better then most members german, dutch, russian, or whatever your native language is.
8)
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||