New CP-Enclosure-Style Moogerfooger Units 101-104 (mock-ups)

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:54 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote: didn't know that moog sold enclosures seperately, neat! i'm not nearly savvy enough (or rich enough, cuz i'd probably fry/break it) to attempt somehting like that just yet, but building a prototype would be fun :)
They don't offer it exactly... but I was recently considering making a CV break-out box for my Model D (like the VX351 for the Voyager) and I inquired about buying a CP enclosure (thinking I would couple it with the CP251 in a rack)... they said I could buy it at this nominal price(which I thought was very nice of them)... but it would be pre-drilled and screen-printed... which wasn't ideal for me.. was hoping to drill my own holes according to my own layout.

I haven't totally given up on the idea, but, for now, I've decided not to make these drastic mods to my Mini. Plus, I'm already building a modular synth, so I don't think I'll need a CP251 (so there would no longer be any particular reason for me to make a breakout box in this size-- if I do make one, it will just be another module in my modular set-up).

CTRLSHFT

*bump*

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:59 pm

Anybody still interested in seeing enclosures like these? I guess it'd be alot of work realistically, but you can bet I'd be putting together a mammoth if these were in something closer to the convenient modular-ish format like the mock-ups here. :)
www.ctrlshft.com

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:05 pm

The design looks super CTRLSHFT....if they ever would release these versions i would buy them instantly... :)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:50 pm

I'd buy these...the CP-251 layout is much more user-friendly for those of us who don't play guitar, but still like the idea of low-cost Moog modules. Amos, any chance of perhaps CONSIDERING this idea? I mean, of course, AFTER the LP Tribute issues have been sorted out? :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:04 pm

Should we all address this again. IF we all pooled our cash is it possible?

Dean

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:28 am

I don't know about all the details in the electronics but I also like these. Perhaps a external switch connection could be made or even a cheaper bank of switches if guitar players want to turn the bypasses on and off. Otherwise, its easier to work foogers this way.

Right now I have 3 and the control processor. I am trying to decide how I want to put them in a rack but the trouble is that the connections are on the top (if they are on a rack) which is not convenient unless I use a patch bay which I am thinking of doing. But if they were all in the control processor format then the whole setup would be just like a modular which is very desirable for me.

I also may buy a modular and place it on top of the foogers on the rack.

rabishu uggae

Post by rabishu uggae » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:15 pm

I am 100% in favor of these units. With a jack added for external bypass, it would be a dream come true.

I've considered mocking up a custom patch-bay for all my control voltage needs, but this would be way more efficient.

*edited for clarity and to say, those mock-ups look great!
Last edited by rabishu uggae on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Ideally I would like all of my Foogers in a box like this. But realistically, if they started selling them tomorrow, I don't think I could switch. It would cost me a lot to "upgrade". I'm a deal hunter, and I waited a long time to get good deals (new and used) on the Foogers I have.

But still, I'd like to see it happen. I could slowly convert each one as I find the cash.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:48 pm

soundxplorer wrote:Ideally I would like all of my Foogers in a box like this. But realistically, if they started selling them tomorrow, I don't think I could switch. It would cost me a lot to "upgrade". I'm a deal hunter, and I waited a long time to get good deals (new and used) on the Foogers I have.

But still, I'd like to see it happen. I could slowly convert each one as I find the cash.
There is definitely the downside for people who already own a bunch of foogers and would want something like this, but I guess the main thing would be if they did eventually unify the moogerfooger enclosures to ALL be in cp-style format, at some point they would be in abundance on the second hand market as much as being available new.

Not everyone would necessarily jump on the bandwagon and make the switch, but speaking in a future sense, I think it'd make alot more sense to move all these over (if possible) the cp-enclosure style. It'd be perfect for modular enthusiasts, guitarists, and just better in general for studio use. The current models are huge, and puts a burden on studio real-estate. I'm using a whole 8 space SKB rack right now for just 3 foogers and a patchbay! It's just not good, and moreover they are angled in the rack so they are difficult to get to. If they were flat, uniform, and I could fit a bunch in either a 3 or 6 space rack that'd be worth the trouble, IMO.

Here's to the future, Moog, if this is possible, please consider it!
Last edited by CTRLSHFT on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.ctrlshft.com

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:30 pm

I cannot put into words how much I wish they would design foogers like this.

Over the last year, I've been trying to build my fakey new school Moog modular. I was so pumped to finally get 3 Foogers a few months back, but I may end up selling all of it now. While I love the sound and feel of all my Moog stuff (I also have a voyager rme w/vx351 and 352, phatty, and cp251), it's taking up so much "real estate" in my little studio that I cannot use it all at once.

I cannot for the life of me find a way to set it all up conveniently. It's really impeding my workflow and has sort of nullified the instant gratification that made me love these pieces to begin with. Hopefully I can work something out, but I've been trying different set ups now for months and just can't get it right. As a result, I end up gravitating to my other synths...which is really a shame.

And this is not bashing Moog what so ever. They make the highest quality products (not to mention some of the most inspiring) I've ever used. I think I may have just bit off more than I could chew when I started the "project." I'm gonna keep trying tho.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Man thats kindof lame that youd have to sell your Moog stuff because of a lack of space!

Seems like I would just have to endure whatever I had to endure...If I wanted to use the Moogs Id just have to set up in the bathroom or the kitchen or wherever.

Get you one of those server racks or something, its only going ot take up 19 inches across and then some depth space and just go vertical or something.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:30 pm

EricK wrote:If I wanted to use the Moogs Id just have to set up in the bathroom or the kitchen or wherever.

Get you one of those server racks or something, its only going ot take up 19 inches across and then some depth space and just go vertical or something.Eric
Man, believe it or not...I have tried the kitchen (not kidding, it's right outside of my music room) AND the server rack thing. Over the last 6 months, I've probably taken every piece of gear out of the room and started from scratch a dozen times...no joke. It's a tight space (12x6 ft.) and there's quite a bit of gear I have crammed in there, not just my Moog babies. The CP style enclosures would really help me (and others in my position) out.

I'm not giving up yet, trust me on that, but cost of finding a solution might be more than I could handle. I'm going to ask a buddy about building a custom sort of wall mounted shelf/counter thing. Truth be told, I'm a broke ass college student that bought ALL my Moog stuff with student loan money, so the well has gone dry! LOL!

funkychorlton

Post by funkychorlton » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:08 am

good thread. i think this design is better than moogs in every way.

i have 9 foogers (did have 10! madness...) and am not a guitarist - i don't use them all as much as I'd like too - the ergonomics of the current design make it very hard to have them all setup and access them

they might have been concieved as footpedals but lets face it, they really aren't

Richard

dave500

Post by dave500 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:40 am

Wouldn't it be nice if Moog would make a plug in adapter for each MF. Just a little L shaped patch-bay extension. :D
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:38 pm

dave500 wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if Moog would make a plug in adapter for each MF. Just a little L shaped patch-bay extension. :D
Brilliant! :shock: So simple, yet EXACTLY what the Doctor ordered! :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.