in the name of Brian (from Namm 2004)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
StefanH

in the name of Brian (from Namm 2004)

Post by StefanH » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:31 pm

4 new items for Los Angeles;

1 - one is the PianoBar - already released but the first time it's been shown on this coast. Easy attachment for any acoustic piano, adds MIDI control and a simple box of sounds controlled from the piano keys and pedals.
2 - a new Theremin! It is SO beautiful and different-looking; there will probably be pictures soon. It is an EntherWave Pro - mostly a wood design, but not boxy - very smooth sweeping lines. EVen the main knobs are smooth rounded wood, and switches - made specially for this instrument - that look like silver shape ships or eggs! It has simple controls as before, plus some presets and also some filtering not available before. A mute switch (lighted) comes in very handy.
3 - A "50th Anniversary" version of the Voyager - still the same internal parts and sounds, but this one has a front panel that glows blue. ALL the control markings glow deep blue - which is visible even in bright light. In the dark it looks incredible.
4 - The big suprise - the first prototype of a new MoogerFooger pedal. The "MuRF": Multiple Resonant Filter.

This is something completely new - nothing has existed before like it. It has 8 Resonant FIlters - eight slider controls across the pedal. These can make a crazy (strong!) EQ effect that modifies sounds out of their nornal range. More unusually, it can sequence forward or back at various speeds, stepping through them. There are also various "patterns" - they make the sequence of filters run in different orders. The filters sound BEAUTIFUL, very unlike most filters. They can jump hard from one to another, or even "morph" between the stages. There are controls to input tempo, and to sweep the filter ranges with CV. Very hard to describe the sound - hopefully there will be some audio demos soon. It's a great pedal as it sounds like nothing out there, and has such a beautiful tone.

The Moog calendars (on the website too) are a big hit. People keep buying them and lining up to get Bob to sign them.

Brian Kehew
more details as they come.

THM

Post by THM » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:48 am

Looks great !!

Also announced: Arturia Minimoog V - not a real Mini, but still very close...
http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

Moritz Morpheus

Post by Moritz Morpheus » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:39 am

nice, but what about the software update for the voyager?
peace, moritz

Greg_S

Post by Greg_S » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:17 pm

that sounds amzing. any ideas on how much that murf filter will cost. also any news on the moog traveller that was mentioned a while ago on the fourm. please post pics of those new things you mentioned i can image that they look absolutely incredible

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:30 pm

Is it really true about the backlit Voyager? That sounds amazing!

THM

Post by THM » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:36 am

Are there any pics of it ?

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:26 pm

Moog Voyager with blue backlit panel graphics

THM

Post by THM » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:30 pm

Thanks - although it seems not so outstanding as I thought before.

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:37 pm

That looks quite impressive, although it does bring up a few issues. How long will the backlight last for?

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:54 pm

...and the actual functionality update? In other words, when will our Voyagers transmit MIDI messages from their knobs? I know it's a hard problem. The front-panel controls transmit 14-bit messages, while MIDI is only set up for 8-bit data. Thanks to Moog for giving us our playable instrument with adequate data-space, in the first place!

If sequencer recordability is a must, maybe the OS can transmit (and receive) two values for every value, sorta like a program/bank change message. Maybe the controller position could exist as two values, MIDI-wise. I'm just theorizing here, but I'm hoping the historical superiority of Moog, both engineering-wise and musician-wise, can come through and triumph.

-Hoax

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:39 am

MIDI can transmit 14-bit controller data using NRPNs and MSB/LSB data byte messages. These have been part of the MIDI protocol since 1990.

MC

Post by MC » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:03 am

Here's a better pic of the Voyager.

Along with one of the MuRF

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:20 am

It looks good. But since the hardware itself has no improvements, I don't think its worth buying one "because it has new patches and backlit panel"

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:42 pm

It looks goofy and cheap.
Perfect for the 80's revival.

Oooh and the stained black cabinet just gets me so hot. It will look perfect next to my Nagel prints. What you don't see is the mirrored ribbon control that you can do lines on!

just get the new os happening...please!