Minimax ASB

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ramechling

Greg's challenge 2007

Post by ramechling » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:49 pm

Hey, Greg... I knew you would get Mark M's attention with that head-to-head-to-head challenge !!
What a great resource that would be to hundreds of viewers of this Moog Forum and others, such as Mr. Mosc's electro-music.com site.
All I would ask is that you explore a very wide range of timbres, modulations, and note pitch.
I can't wait... bless you both !!!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:48 pm

Sweep wrote:Thanks Greg. It's a relief to hear someone's picking up the Creamware stuff.

Incidentally I know two professional musicians who are using the MiniMax, both of whom previously used MiniMoogs. They're both very favourably impressed with it.
Not suprised to hear it. CreamWare did a very nice job with the MiniMax and everyone who has tried one has come away with highly favorable impressions, including my buddy Brian, who owns a Model D.

And the 12 voice polyphony doesn't hurt, either...

:wink:

GregAE

Re: Greg's challenge 2007

Post by GregAE » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:52 pm

ramechling wrote:Hey, Greg... I knew you would get Mark M's attention with that head-to-head-to-head challenge !!
What a great resource that would be to hundreds of viewers of this Moog Forum and others, such as Mr. Mosc's electro-music.com site.
All I would ask is that you explore a very wide range of timbres, modulations, and note pitch.
I can't wait... bless you both !!!
My friend Brian and I are in the planning stages on this, and it may be a couple of weeks until we can get it done and have something to post. Be patient, and thanks for your suggestions!

gd

Post by gd » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:50 pm

I've read that a few pro's have used them as a substitute for the MemoryMoog for some of their live gigs. This I would have liked to have seen and heard personally, I am finding this and the new Solaris very intriguing.
Mini D, P'08 ..

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:52 am

gd wrote:I've read that a few pro's have used them as a substitute for the MemoryMoog for some of their live gigs. This I would have liked to have seen and heard personally, I am finding this and the new Solaris very intriguing.
Stay tuned on this - BrianG and I are still working to put some things together for everyone to hear. We just spent some time in his studio recording some Minimoog, Voyager and Minimax demo clips, and have a few more to go. We're trying to capture a fairly broad range of sounds to illustrate how each synth fairs against the others. I can tell you that it's been rather enlightening already, and we're not done yet. So hang in there - it's coming!

-G

gd

Post by gd » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:34 am

thanks Greg, I am looking fwd to these demos as there is one locally for @ $600 cdn, now if Creamware would only make a CS-80 clone ...
Mini D, P'08 ..

analogbass

Post by analogbass » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:04 am

The emulations sound *like* the originals in terms of tone colors; where they differ is the digital lack of fullness, power & dimensionality of analog. Pretty good though not the same.
Last edited by analogbass on Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sine

Post by sine » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:02 am

I'd be very curious how the minimax compares to the original regarding FM sounds. I'm thinking of Emerson's steel drum sound from KE9 2nd Impression. Here's the sound.
And approximate knob settings.

synthetic

Post by synthetic » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:31 am

gd wrote:now if Creamware would only make a CS-80 clone ...
Dude, I would pay cash money for that in a heartbeat if it sounded as good as the other Creamware stuff.

I'm about 80% of the way saved up to do my own comparison MP3. :) Voyager is a few paychecks away...

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:52 am

sine wrote:I'd be very curious how the minimax compares to the original regarding FM sounds. I'm thinking of Emerson's steel drum sound from KE9 2nd Impression. Here's the sound.
And approximate knob settings.
Interesting you should mention the steel drum. This one of the sounds from the Minimoog PatchBook that we're working on, and the one proving the most difficult to get right on all three synths. Brian came up with an alternate patch on his Minimoog (it's different from the Patchbook steel drum) that seemed to work well, so we may end up using that one instead.

gd

Post by gd » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:19 pm

anymore news on the comparison of the ASB and Moog Greg?
Mini D, P'08 ..

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:21 am

gd wrote:anymore news on the comparison of the ASB and Moog Greg?
My buddy Brian and I did some work in his studio earlier in the summer, but haven't been able to get back together since to finish the demos. We talked about it just yesterday (really!) and are planning to return to the comparison tests soon.

von haulshoven

Post by von haulshoven » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:03 pm

I have the minimax and it is the best v.a. I heard.
I also have the little phatty which is more "organic"
both can be heard in my compositions on virb
http://www.virb.com/von_haulshoven

Modularfan

Post by Modularfan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:46 pm

GregAE wrote:
gd wrote:anymore news on the comparison of the ASB and Moog Greg?
My buddy Brian and I did some work in his studio earlier in the summer, but haven't been able to get back together since to finish the demos. We talked about it just yesterday (really!) and are planning to return to the comparison tests soon.

Soon? It's November already!!!

Okay - just kidding. Seriously, any word on when you plan to post those samples?

- MF

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:38 pm

soon... :) Maybe sooner than you think :wink: