New product @ Musik Messe!!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Lewis

new Moog at Frankfurt

Post by Lewis » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi All !!!
I know exactly what it is..
A 256 Note polyphonic Voyager with multiple touch pads, 32 individual outputs, 256 note step sequencer, multiple arpeggitor, and optional Theremin Pro hardware bay.
See you all at the Messe !!
:lol:

theglyph

Re: new Moog at Frankfurt

Post by theglyph » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:01 am

Lewis wrote:Hi All !!!I know exactly what it is..A 256 Note polyphonic Voyager with multiple touch pads, 32 individual outputs, 256 note step sequencer, multiple arpeggitor, and optional Theremin Pro hardware bay.
Damn!!! :lol:

Don't hold back brother. We feel YA!

THE ULTIMATE MOOG MACHINE!! :D

Don't forget:

Unlimited poly expansion, 128 bit effects section + multiple analog effects resouces (including real spring reverb and the entire Fooger effects design resources), built in stand, Wavetable synthesis (Some of us synth fools now how cool that is :wink: ) and a bag of BC buds (only available to North American customers) to enhance the experience 8) .

What did I forget?

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:32 am

Hi All !!!I know exactly what it is..A 256 Note polyphonic Voyager with multiple touch pads, 32 individual outputs, 256 note step sequencer, multiple arpeggitor, and optional Theremin Pro hardware bay.

Don't forget:

Unlimited poly expansion, 128 bit effects section + multiple analog effects resouces (including real spring reverb and the entire Fooger effects design resources), built in stand, Wavetable synthesis (Some of us synth fools now how cool that is ) and a bag of BC buds (only available to North American customers) to enhance the experience .
Beam me up Scottie...
:lol:

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:17 am

i'd prefer just a small simple monosynth that sounds cool

where do you think they'll put this new product on the website?

they currently have sections for

minimoog, moogerfoogers, etherwave, pianobar, etc

do you think they'll rename the minimoog section to synthesizers

or

do you think this new synth will be a minimoog, just not a minimoog voyager?
eg: the minimoog adventurer

or

do you think they'll put up a new section?

martin

Post by martin » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:22 am

if it's a new t-shirt with a pic of a knob, it'll still fit under the moogwear tab.

anotherbbs

Post by anotherbbs » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:41 am

Anyway here is a blog I've posted on my myspace site.
Then I found this forum and this thread, you may have some thoughts reading my guess.
Check it out ;) :

Friday, March 10, 2006

Thoughts about new moog thing.
Current mood: calm

Today I've seen a pic of moog music announcing a hint about their new product.

From that led-ringed knob, moog's blusterous advocacy, and this post :
http://www.retrothing.com/2006/01/a_low_cost_moog.html
I guess it is likely to be a synth with programmable analog chip.

If that's true, I'll really admire the RD department of moog music. That programmable analog technology is totally impressive to me, an Revolution after DSP processing. It means all the analog circuitry can be altered with code, like all the flexibility that DSP offers combines with true analog signal path. Think about a vast collection of different real analog compressors/eq/synth inside one box, changeable with a few button presses.

Possibly Moog does become the pioneer of synthesizer technology again, with their asset, other small new companies can't impliment a new synth technology available in products, as fast as moog can. Another company I know that's working on the programmable analog synthesizer is called Sonoric(See http://www.sonoric.nl). Very cool product design and from holland(not many synthesizers was from there). I will just look into the moog's new thing and this small new company to decide which I will get, tho I lean more on the Sonoric synth. Cos there must be tons of sells from moog, I don't feel quite good to be one of those ppl. Might sounds a bit wired but I don't like to use a simple thing that many ppl are using, it is easy to sounds similar, even without conscious.

-----

Feel free to visit my myspace page, the url is
http://www.myspace.com/mengqi
Peace.

;)
My Space Page:
http://www.myspace.com/mengqi

martin

Post by martin » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:53 am

:shock:

wow, those sonoric boards look wicked.

hope moog can come up with something equally or even more badass.

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:01 am

http://www.retrothing.com/2006/01/a_low_cost_moog.html

Isn't it the same way the Alesis Andromeda is designed?

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

MC

Post by MC » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:30 am

No, according to Anadigm datasheet these ICs are configurable analog blocks, meaning they can function VCO, VCF, VCA, EG, etc. The ICs used in the Andromeda are fixed function ICs.

RadioLab

I know exactly

Post by RadioLab » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:30 am

I know exactly what it is..because of its proximity to St Pattys Day its a mooger-type box with a little Leprechaun inside of it that makes all these strange little analog noises when the thing is plugged into an amp. you can dial in any of his 256 separate sounds from the little elf and either layer them and save them for further use or patch them right into your voyager ... well since theres so many hairbrain suggestions, why not add one more? :twisted: stop the madness, we'll all know soon enough, huh?? LOL

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:08 am

Ok but they have a picture of the Andromeda on there webpage so I thought they used an early version of the chips.

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:25 am

if they used those super IC things, does that mean they could make a small self-contained modular synth with memory?!!

if they do use these things I can imaging that the status between the voyager and the new synth will be like the status between the model D and source or multi

MULTI/SOURCE
pros
- more features
- lower cost

cons
- doesn't have "the" mini sound

MODEL D
pros
- has "the" mini sound

cons
- expensive
- less features

NEW SYNTH
pros
- more features
- lower cost

cons

- doesn't have "the" mini sound, from the discrete components

VOYAGER
pros
- has "the" mini sound

cons
- expensive
- less features

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:31 am

do you think that the LEDs on the knob could represent different functions of the each chip?

probably not but hey.

do you think they could have a whole synth full of those rotary encoders (memory knob things) if the cost of the synth sound components was reduced by using the IC things
if that didn't make sense:
have a cool LED knob for every parameter (rather than just one general data control like on the source)

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:38 am

so... we're all pretty convinced this is a cheaper Moog monosynth, right? especially after reading those articles... but we are speculating off of our own speculation which is being fed back to us from an article that we influenced. hah! awesome.

I really hope it is a cheaper monosynth. I'd love to have something more reliable than my mg-1 and source live. If so, I wonder how much cheaper it'd go for(?). Someone a few pages back mentioned it maybe having those smaller-sized keys (like the microkorg), and if so, i'll be heart broken. i dont htink they would, but if moog ever did that i wouldn't even think about buying it. i have giant fingers. i could live with 2.5 octaves though

KarnEvil

Post by KarnEvil » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:20 am

I would actually love to see a mix a mix of digital and analog, like the waldorf Q (not that the Q sound very authentic analog). If the oscillators were digitally reproduced, and the filter was analog moog, the sound quality could be very close to the real thing. Creamware has shown us that it is possible to create wellsounding digital clones of the old analog monosynths. VSTs have a bad rep, (or should have a bap rep anyway) because they do fall short of the real thing (by quite a big margin) - like minimoog V or Minimonsta.
If we got something digital that had the quality of Minimax (incl. less static attack), using real moog filters, damn..that would be great. Of course in a beatifully design casing like the original model D or voyager. I think actually I would prefer that to a "crippled" voyager, if the sonical comprimises will be to great (like only having 2 osc. and a less powerful/distinct sound).
I'm not saying that analog is to be done away with, but this would be a keyboard that I would buy for sure.

Otherwise, I would love a barebone (=less expensive) minimoog D mkII synth with the new moog technology, with oldstyle portamento/filter. It would for sure be a huge mistake IMO to offer a synth with a smaller keyboard that 3.5 octave. Not all people use minimoogs for techno dablings and bassriffing, some actually use them as a lead instrument... (sarcasm alert..) :)

Anyways, I'm really curious to what moog will release. We really don't know if it will be a synth, but my gut feeling says so... :)