what should moog release next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

what should moog release next

"more affordable synthesizer"
8%
vocoder
5%
drum machine
13%
modular
11%
new moogerfooger (mf style)
10%
new moogerfooger (cp 251 style)
14%
self contained poly synth
39%

Total votes: 202

Benjamin AM

Re: what should moog release next?

Post by Benjamin AM » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:14 pm

Now that the Voyager XL includes one, how about a nice ribbon controller, USB capable. That would be a good addition to the Little Phatty. One cable that can power the device and send Midi messages. To me, that is very desirable.
Little Phatty Stage II, Rogue, Cp-251, Soldering Iron

MC

Post by MC » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:19 pm

HB3 wrote:I don't blame them for wanting to be careful and utililize their pre-existing designs for as much as possible.
Roland, Korg, and Yamaha are guilty of the same thing.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:19 pm

MC wrote:
HB3 wrote:I don't blame them for wanting to be careful and utililize their pre-existing designs for as much as possible.
Um, yeah. But Roland manages to get a lot of good stuff out there for way under 5000 bucks.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:49 am

i can't remember a good roland analog for 'bout 30 years now
and with roland there is always something , not exactly how it normally would/could be
there is hardly any upgrades
so for quality it's better to stick to moog
( longtime roland user, now , never buying new stuff from roland anymore )

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:22 am

Veeger wrote:
MC wrote:
Um, yeah. But Roland manages to get a lot of good stuff out there for way under 5000 bucks.
We're not talking about RolandkorgAha though...we're talking Moog. And Moog has dropped the ball in my opinion...
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:39 am

It's a variation on a theme for sure, but one which is not particularly risky.

It's a quick step, like the Old School, which is designed to cater to a slightly different demographic requiring very little capital investment. Some will replace their Voyagers (Medium?), some will go for the XL over purchasing a new Medium. Most will be content with what we have already.

It's still the best portable monophonic analog in the world. Do we need anything drastically different?

Just remember how small a company Moog really is, and that all your instruments are hand built in the USA.

Baby steps -- one day there might be a poly. :)

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:03 am

Voltor07 wrote:
Veeger wrote:
MC wrote:
We're not talking about RolandkorgAha though...we're talking Moog. And Moog has dropped the ball in my opinion...
Yeah, I've said that already on this thread. I'm not impressed by the XL - I own an Old School and if I were going for a midi Voyager, I'd get the rackmount and the VX and CP modules.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:52 am

Voltor07 wrote: And Moog has dropped the ball in my opinion...
Can you elaborate please?

Cause you KNOW you drooled all over the keys just like I did. Its a bitchin controller, I happen to Agree with BrianK though Im wishing I had the cheese to thrown down on one.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:21 am

EricK wrote:
Voltor07 wrote: And Moog has dropped the ball in my opinion...
Can you elaborate please?

Cause you KNOW you drooled all over the keys just like I did. Its a bitchin controller, I happen to Agree with BrianK though Im wishing I had the cheese to thrown down on one.
Yes, it's a beautiful thing. But it wasn't something that I wanted to go right out and buy. The Little Phatty was something that screamed, "BUY ME!" but this? Not so much. I was hoping for polyphony, or at least duophony. This has neither. It IS beautiful and functional, there's no denying that. But is it $5000 worth of awesome? Not in my opinion. Not when I can get a Voyager with a CP-251 and VX-351 for around $4000 at Nova Musik. The only things I'd be missing is a few keys, some modulation, and a ribbon controller, but I have a ribbon controller already. So it's just not in my list of things to purchase before I die. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:52 am

But dropping the ball implies that they made some huge mistake.

The XL may be a great controller, and if the Voyager is a hard chunk of change to come by (it is!) then this is definately going to be something for the elites out there, the Reznors (unless you are Devo lol). But people bought the Guitar, people will buy this.

I like the fact that everything is self contained.

The Theremin is going to turn 100 in a few years too)

But yeah you can get most of that same electronics for 3K+ (my Voyager select was 2999 with a 351 included.) But this is taking Moog philosophy of being the ultimate controller to an extreme.

THe only thing left it to have a theremin built in lol.

It may be way out of my price point, but I don't think they dropped the ball.

Moog makes the balls.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:10 pm

I guess we'll see how many of these actually sell...I don't see too many forum members with the cash for this thing. I wonder if it's a limited run like the Old School?

FlametopFred

Post by FlametopFred » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:06 pm

a new Memorymoog, please

or, a two-manual Memorymoog with a Voyager attached, like a Yamaha GX-1, but from Moog

I would buy that in a second

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:40 pm

It's a limited run. Glad I got my Old School though.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:24 pm

Veeger wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:
Veeger wrote:
MC wrote:
Yeah, I've said that already on this thread. I'm not impressed by the XL - I own an Old School and if I were going for a midi Voyager, I'd get the rackmount and the VX and CP modules.
I've been away for awhile, and was surprised to see the XL! After thinking about it for all of two minutes, I have two observations, One - They've bastardized Bob's last, original design, kind of like putting lipstick on the Mona Lisa!! How dare they?! Two - Excellent! Using the CP-251 and the VX-351 can be a royal PIA, and I had always wished that Moog would've built them into the Voyager to begin with. So, it's great to see that wish fulfilled!

How've you been Voltor? Anyway, yeah, the XL isn't the poly that everyone's been hoping for. However, and we all know this, it is actually more beneficial for Moog to leverage existing designs in order to weather this bad economic climate. It's a no brainer, IMHO. I don't see now as being the time for them to be rolling out a poly synth simply because of the rather large investment it would take, and the very high price it would cost. I can't imagine what their profit margin must be on the XL for the price point. Especially given that the majority of their customers already have a Voyager, the above mentioned Foogers, and possibly a ribbon controller. That describes my setup. And even though the XL definitely floats my boat in many ways, at this point I will probably keep what I have. Why? Because when I look at my performer, I see it as my own personal piece of Bob's legacy. His last synth, as he designed and executed it.

If Moog continues to take these small gambles to produce high-ticket items for a decidedly niche market, and is successful in doing so, then if the economy picks up again, and the causes for it are adequately fixed such that it cannot happen again in the foreseeable future, then Moog might have a decent shot at producing that poly as only Moog can! They'll be able to do a proper job of it, and more people by that time will have a halfway decent shot at being able to purchase one! But, the trick is, they are a small business in the US. Sure, they have overseas markets, however in this current climate, it probably wouldn't take too much for them to go under, even if they could sell them all! And we all know that the road is littered with the remains of many companies that over extended themselves in bad economic times. Let's be glad that Moog has done their homework, and are committed to the long haul.

The poly will come, Moog knows how many people are dying for one. But I think we need to be patient and be just as committed to the long haul as Moog is. After all, which would you rather have? A Moog poly, with Moog going under as a result? Or Moog staying in business, and hopefully being able to produce that poly at some point later on?

Me? I can wait!

My $0.02, and worth every penny! :mrgreen:

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:38 pm

EricK wrote:...It may be way out of my price point, but I don't think they dropped the ball.

Moog makes the balls.
How ya doing, Eric?
Well put, my man! Indeed, Moog has the balls... Moog makes the balls!! :lol: