In honor of Dr Robert Moog (1934-2005)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
nigeynige

Such sad news.

Post by nigeynige » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:57 am

I was at a loss to read of Bob's passing. His legacy will live on in Musicians such as ourselves and each time we play our Moogs, we know that Bob's spirit will always be there..
My thoughts and prayers are with Bob's family and the team at Moog Music.

If there was ever a man that was put on this earth to make a difference, Bob was that man....He was kind, gentle and very humble....and he changed the face of Music.

Nigel Hopkins

[email protected]

Purusha

Post by Purusha » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:49 am

Thanks for everything Bob!
Voyager Performer, Minitaur
Cubase 8.5, Ableton 9, various hardware sequencers
OSX El Capitan on MacPro (cylinder) and MacBookPro.

drawtippy

Post by drawtippy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:06 pm

Dr. Bob always talked about an almost spiritual connection he had with the circuits. That he could feel what was going on inside. He's put a little of that into each and every instrument with his name on it so we can access his spirit everytime we turn them on. We are lucky.

arnegeddon

RIP, our friend and mentor.

Post by arnegeddon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:11 pm

I am terribly saddened. My deepest sympathies to Bob's family, colleagues and friends. I will always honor Dr. Moog when I play his creations. His genius and benevolence will never be forgotten.

All my best,

Arne Wendt

basskonzept

From Italy my Condolence to Moog's family

Post by basskonzept » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:07 pm

I'm Nicola from Italy. I had the honour to meet with Bob Moog in Frankfurt at Musikmesse in March 2002. We have told for 1 hour about the Music , his life. A really simple but at the same time BIG Man. I know that also he left all us , forever His name will be in the World .
Bob has changed the world in the way for to make music.

Thanks Bob, you are always and forever with all US !!!!

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:11 pm

I never met Bob Moog, but from what people have always said about him, he was certainly a very rare human being indeed. Elsewhere on this thread he has been described as "egoless". When you consider the man was genius within his field, this is quite incredible, and I certainly think it's the case. Afterall, he was wasn't just some faceless boffin who locked himself away in his workshop; he made himself accessible to those who love and play his synths, and was happy to talk with anyone. A number of us use (and love) Apple Macs also, but I bet very few have met Steve Jobs?

I feel privileged to have lived in such an exiting period of time to be involved in music and the surrounding technology. This is partly down to Bob Moog, as without many of the artists who play his instrument's, I would never have been inspired to play keyboards.

So I guess I should say thanks Bob. Thanks for everything. You gave a lot more than you took - a very rare human being indeed.

Sad, but also inspired.

The Unknown.
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

felix

Post by felix » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:21 pm

An amazing person who affected amazing change to his world. A creative genius who not only imagined entirely new musical instruments and new kinds of sound and music, but was able to produce instruments that sparked the imagination of musicians and music listeners everywhere.

A non-businessman who struggled with his early business, yet came full circle, realizing not only success in business, but also critical recognition for achievements in the industry.

I consider myself lucky to have heard him tell his story and talk about the instruments he created, to have shaken his hand and witnessed the passion with which he discussed the design of his instruments and the thousands of minute details that collectively make them sound so wonderful and alive, that sharp and crafty sparkle in his eye, and his humble and witty demeanor.

Bob, you will be missed, but the world sings with many new voices because of you. Thank you.

Kjeks

Post by Kjeks » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:35 pm

Fare well Bob ... if you´re not "moving ALL beyond" right now, i hope you soon get to be a musical person, and maybe play an old Moog some day.
Kjell.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:44 pm

Sad news indeed.

I had the luck of spending three days with Bob last year as he toured Scotland and London for the UK moogfest. My impression was that of a humble man . . I'm not quite sure he understood his value in the world and if he did he showed no ego or vanity.

A true mentor, a Newton, an Edison, an Einstein for our age.

I filmed three events . . an interview which is up on the rlmusic.co.uk website, a talk for Turnkey which you can see on loop at the Turnkey music store and the Tryptych talk in Scotland which I am currently editing . . hopefully I will find a place to put this stuff online for all to view in the near future.

Brittish TV channel "4" covered this story today.

http://www.channel4.com/news/special-re ... jsp?id=586

Mal Meehan
www.mee3d.com
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

Parsongs

Post by Parsongs » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:01 am

My condolences to the Moog family.

Dr. Moog's life work lives on in his instruments and in the composers whose life he touched, including my own.

Now, play on; it's what he would have wanted, I think.

Tom Parsons
Ars Longa Vita Brevis

jfhome

French moog community are sad

Post by jfhome » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:31 am

it's bad time for synthesis community

all my condolences...

Bob thank for all. Repose en paix.

lordzoster

Post by lordzoster » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:44 am

thanks for everything, Bob.

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:44 am

Just a quick footnote...

Bob was mentioned on the BBC programme, Newsnight, yesterday. To end the show, they played Wendy Carlos' rendition of The William Tell Overture, from her original soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange.
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:24 pm

Goodbye, Dr. Moog. The rest of your fans and I will miss you alot.
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

ebg31

In Memory of Dr. Moog

Post by ebg31 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:17 pm

I only got to meet Dr. Moog one time. That was around March 16, 2001 at Hofstra University. It was an electronic music conference including Joel Chatterbe, Hubert Howe and Herb Deutsch. After the conference, I was able to get an autograph from hiim, and I must say, it was almost the spitting image of how it looks on the Moogerfoogers and signature edition Minimoog Voyager.

No matter what happens here, he's surely ascended to a higher place of being. Let's hope we all see him there, again.

With love,
Eric Benjamin Gordon.
"The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive," - Eric Benjamin Gordon, 2001

Thank you Lord for Doctor Robert Moog!

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon