In honor of Dr Robert Moog (1934-2005)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
BrianK

In honor of Dr Robert Moog (1934-2005)

Post by BrianK » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:04 pm

Quite possibly the saddest news of all time for us at this forum. Bob Moog passed away today.

I can't tell you how sad this makes me - not only was he the great and legendary designer we all know, but he was truly a wonderful guy; one of those who goes around the world making friends endlessly. Anyone who was lucky enough to know him personally is full of great stories about his sense of humor and insightful spirituality.

I talked with Bob around the time of George Harrison's passing - Bob was fully accepting of the "cycle of life", what it means to be part of nature, to have a life and then move beyond.

I wish everyone in Bob's family (literal and musical) my best feelings. For everyone at the Moog Music family - our support and attention will continue as ever, you have a great company, and a great tradition to continue.

It is such a cliche' to say he will be missed, but more than almost anyone I can imagine, he will...

moogmaniac

Post by moogmaniac » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:31 pm

A sad day indeed...I had the honor and privilege of meeting Bob Moog this
past winter. The 20 hr. drive round trip was more that worth it just to meet
Dr. Bob. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to meet him.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to all those that loved
and respected him.

Rest In Peace, Bob.

Sincerely,
Harry Kennedy

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:43 pm

Rest in peace Dr. Bob....

Very sad day for all of us.. It was a strange day all day for me, and now I know why. My condolences to the Moog family, Mike, Linda, all at Moog Music.

What can I say that Mr. Kehew hasn't already said. He was a visionary, an awesome human being and stellar thereminist ! I was very bummed when he didn't show up for Moogfest this year. We all knew that there was something wrong, something missing. However I am honored to have been a part of the celebration of his works.

He lives on in all of us and in our beloved synths. I am honored to have the company logo in my skin forever.

A revolutionary human being and creator of the most inspiring musical instruments EVER...

God bless your sweet soul Dr. R.A Moog Phd.

Sincerely,

Nick Montoya
The Volt Per Octaves

gd

Post by gd » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:48 pm

thankyou Brian for the eloquent words, for me I met Bob @ 40 yrs. ago with my father at the Moog assembly site, god bless you Bob and your family - now rock the heavens!
Mini D, P'08 ..

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:42 pm

What an amazing legacy Bob leaves behind. How rare a person he was. The Muse in all of us weeps at his passing.
Last edited by MarkM on Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Array

Post by Array » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:55 pm

Very sad...I'm at a total loss of words. :(

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:19 am

Same here. :(

You're right, he does live on in our synths. I'm gutted I never had the chance to meet him.

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:44 am

I just learned of Bobs death and am devastated. From the information in the Friday post on the Caringbridge site, I kind of figured that Bob would be departing soon. I have seen this all too ofter this summer, what with the passing of a dear neighbor (my sons keyboard teacher), my mother, and my best friend--all within the past 3 months. And now Robert Moog. As I said, I am devastated, and I didn't even know the man. But I did know OF the man--his work, his kind nature, and what his genius gave to musicians all over the world.

I wish Bob eternal peace. Maybe he can influence the next great inventor to do something that will change music as much as his own creation did.

I wish the family well.

Now I am going up to my music room, turning on my Moog Synthesizers, and after letting them warm up for about 10 minutes, I am going to play the crap out of them--all the while thinking of Bob Moog.

I recommend that the rest of you do the same.

Dale

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:21 am

My condolences to Bob's family.

For those that didn't know Bob personally, I'd like to say that he was someone to have met. Few people in this industry have been as warm and generous as Bob has been. This warmth, coupled with technical ability and the deserved praised heaped upon him daily, is a rarity to witness with such humor and grace.
Bob was egoless, it seemed.

Brian K and I have had the honor of working for and with Bob and many great memories remain. From stories over a dinner table to small anecdotes shared as encountered, Bob spoke to others with an almost childlike enthusiasm.
He would often start laughing before the end of a joke he was telling and we'd always be caught up in his enthusiasm even before the punchline.

My respect for Bob goes beyond the instruments though.
Here was a man who had failed at business, products and marriage, yet continued on with grace and eventual greater success.
Few people can aspire to keeping their chin up when things aren't going well and Bob was an inspiration to me in that regard.

My best wishes to Moog Music, their continued work and my utmost condolences to Bob's family and close friends.

LWG

Re: Post Subject

Post by LWG » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:37 am

Hello,

The ability to spend the last moments with a loved one is a gift we can never take for granted, as often, family, loved ones, and friends leave
our midst and make their transition without the chance to give goodbyes
or convey thoughts and feelings that could have been expressed.
I felt it fortunate that Dr. Moog's immediate/extended family, friends,
associates, and many well wishers were given the gift of time to do this,
although the loss is no less difficult.
A thanks to the Moog family for sharing Dr. Moog with so many; not an easy thing to do when a parent or spouse is such a public figure.
Finally, thanks Dr. Moog for leaving such deep footprints in the sands of modern music technology and changing music itself.

Best Wishes to the Moog family,

Lawrence

THM

Post by THM » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:24 am

RIP - all my prayers go to Bob and his family.
Can't find more senseful words right now - I feel terrible... :cry:
http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:51 am

Peace to you Dr B - may you ever add your electronic tones to the choirs eternal...

p.s. He might have passed but he will live on, in great joy, every time one of his amazing instruments is played. An incredible legacy of a life well lived.

Mr Rich

Post by Mr Rich » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:11 am

There have been many eloquent messages of support and now heart-felt sadness around the web; mostly in Bob's Caring Bridge Gusetbook.

He leaves a tremendous legacy. The sound of the Moog will no doubt live on, long after we're all gone.

Thank you Bob.
Mr Rich

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:44 am

I have just heard the bad news today :(

I offer my deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Bob. I hope that his soul finds peace - he won't be forgotten.

:(

SO

my thoughts on Bob

Post by SO » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:13 am

i've always felt the coolest hero's are those brilliant people who stumble through their challenges making mistakes like the rest of us, but somehow manage to come through the other side without bitterness or closed hearts and have their integrity intact.

Bob gave me the tools to create what i love most in this world... music.
and for that i'll be eternally grateful.

Shaun