Weird knob behaviour while using USB

Everything Phatty.
axool

Weird knob behaviour while using USB

Post by axool » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:42 am

Hello,

I own a slim phatty and am quite happy with it. It works perfect with midi, but I have some issues with usb. If I want to use USB to control the SP from my host (ableton live), I can't play a note and modulate smoothly a parameter at the same time. The led is kind of "resisting" what I am telling it to do with the knob. It's hard to describe but the leds are blinking in a very strange way while I am rotating the knobs.

Another thing I would like to know (even though it's more related to ableton and my soundcard) is how to get rid of the latency while using ableton's monitoring. I have a RME babyface so normally the latence is pretty low. But here it's next to unplayable...

I would really like to take advantage of this usb connection, so please answer if you know any solution.

e3p0

Re: Weird knob behaviour while using USB

Post by e3p0 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:41 pm

I have noticed this once too while using USB. I don't know if using another USB port or a hub might help. I have since just used DIN MIDI into my Babyface with no issues. Are you able to do this?

I don't (unfortunately) know the ins and outs of Ableton, but use Sonar and could answer some questions about that, but there are some folks here that use Ableton.

Does anybody know if this has anything to do with the dancing LED ground thing?

I hope this helps!
-e

Sore_Knee

Post by Sore_Knee » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:22 pm

this actually sounds like the ground issue that many (including myself) have encountered.

are you using a laptop? if so, try running it off the battery without the power supply.

the problem with the fatty is the electronics/audio ground is isolated from the earth. not an issue if all the gear you have has a clean ground, or is tied to a good earth somewhere.

i found using a USB isolator fixed the USB problem for me, except when i connected the audio to my sound interface it came back again (as this bypassed the isolator).

the ultimate solution i found was to run a earth wire from the chassis of my audio interface to an earth pin at the wall socket, it the worked fine without the USB isolator.

moog has a mod that they do if you send your unit in to them, i bet my left nut they tie the electronics audio/ground to the earth-pin internally.

m00gin

Post by m00gin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of strange USB phatty behaviour!

I get exactly the same issue with Ableton and SM USB, so much so that i've just unplugged it now, it's just too buggy and Moog should fix it.

The set up i've managed to get working is a simple midi one. I use a usb midiman which provides external midi ports.

Even more 'fun' ensues when you start trying to set it up with the AU / VST, I can't speak for PC users but there is much weirdness going on!

Hope you find a set up that works for you.

T