Minitaur shipping!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Synthtron

Re: Minitaur shipping!

Post by Synthtron » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:21 pm

I feel the same way. My wallet has to recover from some of my recent synth purchases as well before I can pick-up a Minitaur. Oh well, I guess I will wait patiently. Who knows maybe any bugs will be worked out in the mean time.
Juno-60 | JX-3p | Juno-106 | D-50 | D-5 | W-50 | JV-1080 | Fantom X6 | Jupiter-80 | Jupiter-50 | DX-7 | SY-35 | MX-49 | Timbre Wolf | Werkstatt-01
http://www.synthtron.com

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:38 pm

xombiexplox wrote:UGHHHHHHHH

I thought I was done buying toys for at least a little while after I just threw down on my LP two days ago...now I gotta snag one of these as well.

:3
If I didn't have a Taurus 3, (the 30th ever made,) I'd be in the same boat as you. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:01 am

I have a Taurus 3 and I'm still considering buying one!
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:06 pm

muksys wrote:IT. HAS. ARRIVED.

Of course, we have plans tonight, so I probably won't get to mess with it until tomorrow, but I did have time to shoot an unboxing video. It has no sound, is very jerky and boring, but it's an unboxing! What do y'all want from me? Geez!!

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

PS: if it is not live, give it a couple of minutes to finish processing. I really had to go! :P

PPS: Tomorrow I will try to do a LP and MT side by side comparison video.

PPPS: Those trying to watch it while it's processing...I know its bugging you! :twisted: :twisted:
I left a comment on your video...I may have to order a Minitaur just for that way awesome box! :idea:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Just jealous you have serial number 7 heh. Can't wait for my call from Novamusik.

muksys

Post by muksys » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Voltor07 wrote: I left a comment on your video...I may have to order a Minitaur just for that way awesome box! :idea:
do it! I hooked it up to the LP running in parallel. WOH! The 2 filters are definitely different and respond different. Doing a cutoff sweep with the res up high gives it some great harmonics. Could be useful for somthing. Im going to play with this approach more.

Cosmetically, I am a little (ever so slightly) bummed that the buttons are hard plastic and not the nice soft rubber ones like on the SP. Oh, and the rubber feet are slightly lopsided. Of course, I had to open it up (something I have been doing since a little kid) and see what was under the hood and to check out the PCB easter eggs first hand. I learned that after taking the screws out, to slide the top plate down. There is a ribbon connector that connects the Main board to the Pot board at the top. The bottom plate has a lip that slips between the ribbon connector and the top plate. When I took mine apart, I tried pulling up and must have loosened the ribbon cable because when I put it back together...it wasnt working! That "oh crap, I just totally broke it" fear came over me. I just re-seated the cable and all was good.

I've also noticed that there is no way to reassign the MIDI channel. I'd assume that when an Editor is rolled out, it will give this option. Otherwise, it's locked at 1.

EDIT: I took a stroll over to the download tab at the Minitaur Product page and found the full manual. In there it explains how to put the MT into "learn" mode.
Last edited by muksys on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:22 pm

I would expect the filters to be different, since it's the same filter from the T3, similar to the T1, which was based on the 904 module. :)

muksys

Post by muksys » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Voltor07 wrote:I would expect the filters to be different, since it's the same filter from the T3, similar to the T1, which was based on the 904 module. :)

yes yes, I just wanted to clarify for those that don't know. I've heard talk of what the big differences are between a minitaur and SP/LP/MV. The filter is one of the BIG differences, and because of that, you can do things with the MT that you cant do with other new moog gear (other than a T3).

Darksideofthetune

Post by Darksideofthetune » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Got mine from Guitar center Manhattan they might have more... https://www.facebook.com/photo.phpfbid= ... =1&theater

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:45 pm

SSquirrel wrote:
muksys wrote:IT. HAS. ARRIVED.

Of course, we have plans tonight, so I probably won't get to mess with it until tomorrow, but I did have time to shoot an unboxing video. It has no sound, is very jerky and boring, but it's an unboxing! What do y'all want from me? Geez!!

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

PS: if it is not live, give it a couple of minutes to finish processing. I really had to go! :P

PPS: Tomorrow I will try to do a LP and MT side by side comparison video.

PPPS: Those trying to watch it while it's processing...I know its bugging you! :twisted: :twisted:
Yeah sadly no word yet from Novamusik, altho when I talked to Moog last week they claimed Novamusik would have them by the end of the month. That seems to be slightly off the mark so far heh

Well, Nova has gotten many first round lots of other Moog Products such as the ClusterFlux (I got serial #20) and Taurus III (I got mine before many pre-orders).

Has alot to do with commitments of #'s of pre-orders and other factors, likely.

It's just good to see that they are shipping now and that folks receiving them. I think Moog did very well with the timeline considering that Namm was just a month ago. There were rumours that it wouldn't be shipped until late April or later; beat that by a mile.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

matthieuxdetoux

Post by matthieuxdetoux » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:56 am

Just received mine today. Number 82, coincidentally my birth year :)

I've only had a short time with it, but I am very impressed! The versatility of this unit cannot be understated. I was expecting that Taurus sound, but I wasn't anticipating the ability to go from buttery filter to acidy filter so easily. The interface is great and intuitive (as Moog stuff tends to be), and it maps perfectly to the LP to use as a controller. The construction is nice, but my only beef is that the surface is not "gritty" like the moogerfoogers, which isn't that big of a deal, but it makes it feel slightly less "rugged" although it certainly isn't.....

Can't wait to spend more time with it, I was messing around with some arpeggios via the LP with the phaser and it was just pure bliss!
Voyager AE, Little Phatty NME, Little Phatty Stage I, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, Rogue, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104Z, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M, CP-251, Etherwave Plus, Prophet 08, Mopho, Dark Energy

Synthtron

Post by Synthtron » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:04 am

I have not looked closely at the specs but is the MT the same size as a CP-251 or VX-351? I am wondering if there will be a rack option or not for the MT.
Juno-60 | JX-3p | Juno-106 | D-50 | D-5 | W-50 | JV-1080 | Fantom X6 | Jupiter-80 | Jupiter-50 | DX-7 | SY-35 | MX-49 | Timbre Wolf | Werkstatt-01
http://www.synthtron.com

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:20 am

I'd be curious how it interacts with the Voyager, as I own one of those and not a LP. I'd love to see this puppy with the SH-101's ARP too.
P6, Tempest, Sub37

matthieuxdetoux

Post by matthieuxdetoux » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:28 am

Synthtron wrote:I have not looked closely at the specs but is the MT the same size as a CP-251 or VX-351? I am wondering if there will be a rack option or not for the MT.
In the future music review, they mention that they have many plans for the Minitaur, including a rack mount solution. I'm fairly certain it is the same dimensions as the VX or CP units. I'm at work currently, but tonight when I get home I will check to see if you can rack it up alongside the CP....
Voyager AE, Little Phatty NME, Little Phatty Stage I, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, Rogue, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104Z, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M, CP-251, Etherwave Plus, Prophet 08, Mopho, Dark Energy

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:34 am

Synthtron wrote:I have not looked closely at the specs but is the MT the same size as a CP-251 or VX-351? I am wondering if there will be a rack option or not for the MT.
I believe I read it has the right dimensions to compare w/the 251, but all the inputs are on the back so racking would be problematic unless you are making holes in your rack to jack into it.