Minitaur shipping!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EMwhite

Re: Minitaur shipping!

Post by EMwhite » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:49 am

These pics should answer your 'size' and 'format' questions.

Indeed it's the same height and width as a CP/VX, but as mentioned above by somebody else, the wedge shape is an issue at least with the current CP/VX mount.

I assume Moog will take care of this once the new hardware is available.

I had to remove the right wood cheek from my VX in order to have Minitaur sit nicely next to it. As for jacks, they are angled and in my case, I have a Synth.com sequencer above so no issues (even less issues once I get it mounted properly).

Note that the screws on the sides of the Minitaur are the only things keeping it from fitting nicely WITH the VX end cheek so I assume that will be taken into account. And if you can hook up with right angled jacks, I'm confident that even with a 'deep' rack device above Minitaur, you'll be in good shape.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

matthieuxdetoux

Post by matthieuxdetoux » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:59 am

EMwhite wrote:These pics should answer your 'size' and 'format' questions.

Indeed it's the same height and width as a CP/VX, but as mentioned above by somebody else, the wedge shape is an issue at least with the current CP/VX mount.

I assume Moog will take care of this once the new hardware is available.

I had to remove the right wood cheek from my VX in order to have Minitaur sit nicely next to it. As for jacks, they are angled and in my case, I have a Synth.com sequencer above so no issues (even less issues once I get it mounted properly).

Note that the screws on the sides of the Minitaur are the only things keeping it from fitting nicely WITH the VX end cheek so I assume that will be taken into account. And if you can hook up with right angled jacks, I'm confident that even with a 'deep' rack device above Minitaur, you'll be in good shape.
I was thinking the angle shape would be the issue. Thanks for clearing it up! Hopefully they put out a wood kit similar to that of the SP, and a rack solution that makes more sense :)
Voyager AE, Little Phatty NME, Little Phatty Stage I, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, Rogue, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104Z, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M, CP-251, Etherwave Plus, Prophet 08, Mopho, Dark Energy

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:56 pm

matthieuxdetoux wrote:Hopefully they put out a wood kit similar to that of the SP, and a rack solution that makes more sense :)
Yeah a wood desktop module stand for the Minitaur would look nice.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:05 pm

It looks no different than racking a MoogerFooger, actually. :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:31 pm

...and another video...

http://youtu.be/5NfhpS3Umi4

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Nova just called :D My Minitaur and my Cluster Flux are one the way.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Just called Nova and sadly they didn't get enough in their first pre-order bundle to get down the list to me. I'm #31 on their list. Ahh well. Sometime soon maybe.

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:48 pm

One thing I have noticed and hopefully someone with an MT can verify this, but the Release seems to bleed at the end of a note. If I have release OFF, there is a loud "pop" ad the end of each note. I can turn the Release ON and dial it up a bit and it goes away. I can really notice it when I am controlling the MT with an Arpeggiator going pretty fast (165bpm), resonance off and cutoff down low. I'd like to see if this just a "nature of the beast" thing or if it's a quirk with my unit. Hope it's just a quirk that can be fixed. Would be a bummer if this is the way it is.

EDIT: Messing with it a bit more I can hear some bleed at the attack too. If Release is on and both A & R are at 0%, the "pop" is crazy loud. Lots of bleed. I can increase the A & R a little bit and the pop settle down, but now the punchyness is compromised. I know this is kinda the norm with analog synths, but this is way more noticeable than my LP.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:14 pm

I may be able to adjust that a bit... but part of the deal is that 0 attack and release = swinging the VCA 10 volts in one millisecond. That makes a pop; it's basically like sending a square wave to the amp. There's very fine control over short times so you can dial in just the right amount. One way to get more punch is to turn down the volume sustain amount and then set the attack and decay very short but just longer than the settings at which it pops... you should be able to dial in just the amount of click and thump that you want, with practice.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Here's a track that I threw together that demonstrates some mid-range / high-end timbres and in particular, demonstrates some of the percussive effects that Amos just mentioned.

Important to mention that this is NOT a musical expression, just some banging around with mild lead type runs and some tweaking. The filter in this range is quite band-pass-ey (if that is a word).

Mainly I just wanted to demonstrate some of the range. Note that this is 100% dry recorded real time into Logic. Read the SoundCloud comments for some more information.

http://snd.sc/xqPyHt
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:31 pm

Amos wrote:I may be able to adjust that a bit... but part of the deal is that 0 attack and release = swinging the VCA 10 volts in one millisecond. That makes a pop; it's basically like sending a square wave to the amp. There's very fine control over short times so you can dial in just the right amount. One way to get more punch is to turn down the volume sustain amount and then set the attack and decay very short but just longer than the settings at which it pops... you should be able to dial in just the amount of click and thump that you want, with practice.

Thanks for the quick response Amos. I will hold off on sending anything out (too soon to let it go!). I agree it just requires some getting used to the settings. It's part of that analog love. Once I can get a hold of the free Editor (still waiting for the register page accept my serial number), I'm sure it will help as presets will be able to be stored and not have to worry about always finely tweaking the ENV.

@EMWhite, nice demo! I really enjoyed that "organic" theremin-esque vibrato around 3:15. verynice.

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:33 pm

....and, last video. Side by side comparison of MT & LP waveforms (on a scope!)

http://youtu.be/RiBCLHEQ0CA

Now I am done obsessing over this thing and dragging you all along with it! :lol:

matthieuxdetoux

Post by matthieuxdetoux » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:16 am

muksys wrote:....and, last video. Side by side comparison of MT & LP waveforms (on a scope!)

http://youtu.be/RiBCLHEQ0CA

Now I am done obsessing over this thing and dragging you all along with it! :lol:
Very cool video. I wish I've had the time to getting to know mine better, but it arrived on the start of my particular work week :(

Keep the videos and observations coming. Super interesting stuff!
Voyager AE, Little Phatty NME, Little Phatty Stage I, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, Rogue, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104Z, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M, CP-251, Etherwave Plus, Prophet 08, Mopho, Dark Energy

xombiexplox

Post by xombiexplox » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:26 pm

muksys wrote:Once I can get a hold of the free Editor (still waiting for the register page accept my serial number), I'm sure it will help as presets will be able to be stored and not have to worry about always finely tweaking the ENV.
Does it say "Please check the accuracy of your serial number"? I remember for a few days the registration site wasn't working for me, but now it's up and it's not accepting my serial number. Do you think maybe someone accidentally typed in my serial number?
:[[[[[
GEAR: Slingshot, yo-yo, baseball cap, heaphones, gummi wormz

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:36 pm

No big deal about registering your SN. If several weeks or months go by and you still can't register it, shoot them an email. THey are very cool about customer service issues.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.