SP Osc. 2 Freq. slightly out compared to my other SP & LP

Everything Phatty.
Stuka

Re: SP Osc. 2 Freq. slightly out compared to my other SP & L

Post by Stuka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:37 pm

unfoog wrote:Hey again,

I´ve got still tuning issues with my Slim Phatty.
I love its big sound, but this little annoying issue makes me angry :evil: .
I could run the 3 calibrations, the next day it´s detuned again. Even after hours of warming.
To the Moogpeople: That´s bullshit!
Why isn´t my waldorf pulse never ever detuned?
With friendly fire,
unfoog.
SO, did you ever have an actual technician take a look at your SP, as Moog evidently recommended close to a year ago?
If the software-level calibration doesn't retain it settings, wouldn't you assume that something internally needs to be checked out?

Seems that following Moog's recommendation would be much more effective than just complaining a year later on an open users' forum...
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

unfoog

Post by unfoog » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Yes Stuka you are right.
I wrote a mail to Moog again. Too bad that I didn´t act immediately.
That would have been a warranty thing. Let´s see.
I think it is ok to write negative statements in an open forum, especially when many users stay
complaining about the same thing.
Anyway, thanks for helping me out :wink:

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Perhaps the local contracted Moog tech. who looked at mine a couple of years ago did the trimpot calibration adjustment instead of the users calibrations in the menu?

Otherwise I can't see how the user calibrations worked for him and not me at home.

Either way, he fixed it somehow and I haven't had these problems since!

I hope you achieve the same outcome..

David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

unfoog

Post by unfoog » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:29 am

Hi David.
Yes, maybe the trimpot adjustment (don´t actually know what trimpots are...)
could make me sing and smile. Glad to hear that your issue is solved !!! :D

unfoog

Post by unfoog » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Works now for me after calibrating it two times.
Sorry for puking.
Hope it stays tuned now.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:35 pm

unfoog wrote:Works now for me after calibrating it two times.
Sorry for puking.
Hope it stays tuned now.
Sounds like good news. :D

Let us know if there are any updates, or if it's still in tune in a week or so..

David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Traumatizer

Post by Traumatizer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:53 am

hey dave! where did you get your slim phatty serviced? i just got a mint condition one off trademe and oscilator two is out of tune from oscilator at 12oclock :/

did you get it done through the rockshop/musicbizz techs?

Roman
NZ

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Here is a suggestion which I hope will help someone.

As long as all oscillators on all units are tracking the keyboard/octaves correctly, it's not nearly as big a deal if the oscillator 2 frequency isn't "exactly the same" on every unit for a given Oscillator 2 Frequency value. This is a known part of the process when trying to voice multiple mono synths to play polyphonically. Just imagine trying to do it on a bunch of Voyagers, which have nearly a dozen manually-calibrated trim pots and no auto calibration! The answer is simple and old-fashioned... tweak the knobs on each unit until the voices sound as similar to one another as you like, then save the preset on each unit once you are happy with it. By doing this, you have voiced the preset for each unit to get a more consistent result. It's a little more work, but so is playing polyphonically on a group of mono synths. :)

So for example, start with the same preset on each unit, stack them all so they play in unison on a single note, and fine-tune the osc2 frequency on each unit until it's exactly where you want it. It can help to designate one unit as your "master" (that you are voicing all the other units to match) and then solo the master + one other unit at a time while you make adjustments to each other unit.

Again the main point I'm trying to make is that small differences per unit are normal and to be expected, and if you want truly identical timbre on every unit it's normal to have to do a little tweaking to the preset values. The units do all need to track keyboard and octave similarly, which they should do... but if a small change to osc frequency or waveform is needed, just make the adjustment and re-save the preset once it's tweaked to your liking.

Cheers,

Amos