Can´t decide between CP-251 or MP-201. Please help!

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
MBlom

Can´t decide between CP-251 or MP-201. Please help!

Post by MBlom » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:43 pm

I´m pretty sure I´ll buy a Freqbox to turn my electric bass into a synth bass. Already have an MF-101 and when buying the Freqbox I also want something to make the two ´foogers come alive. I like tweaking so that made me look at the CP-251, all those "hidden" possibilities when combining and processing cv-signals also appeal to me. But then I checked the MP-201 out and thought that, even though it´s supposed to be on the floor and is less tweakable, it could turn my two foogers into a small modular synth. I use a MonoMachine (six track sequencer based synth) which can send midi-notes that the MP-201 could turn into pitch-cv and control the Freqbox osc. Could that work? On the other hand, getting a CP-251 together with the Freqbox will give me a loads of possibilities to alter my guitar and bass sounds. And when the time is ripe, getting a Dark Energy (which can recieve midi and send cv) will bring me a 2 osc synth with loaaads of modular possibilities. And maybe that´s better than rushing to get a more rudimentary mini-modular-synth with a MP-201? Though it doesn´t send pitch-cv as the MP-201. Man, I´m confused... :?
Latest gigs
https://youtu.be/Fpvi7Jrq8DQ
http://youtu.be/owdKlBrUUKY

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).

jpromano78

Re: Can´t decide between CP-251 or MP-201. Please help!

Post by jpromano78 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Hey Man! I've got a MF-107 FreqBox that I use with my Fender Telecaster through a '78 Princeton Reverb amp and also use it with a DSI Mopho Keyboard and I absolutely LOVE IT!! I want to add another Moogerfooger to my set up as well (Would be my 2nd fooger).. specially to use with my Mono Synth. Someone here on the forum suggested the Ring Modulator MF-102 but I was also considering the CP-251 Control Processor.. it seems like a good idea interms of expandability and posibilites... from what I see the CP-251 would give me more sounds than the MP-201 controller.. I guess they are 2 different beasts... we seem to be looking at the same spectrum.. What to do... :?:

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:39 pm

My take on it. I have 2 CP-251's. I do not have an MP-201.
I've got 8 other Foogers, (Thinned the heard and sold off some of the duplication) an 88 space modular and a bunch of other stuff. The CP's with EP's attached are superb modulators for the foogers and my modular.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:54 pm

I've got the opposite; that being the MP-201. I really really like it alot, it's very flexible and being more of a keyboard (and a midi guy) than a modular guy, I really appreciate the flexibility of the MP, the ability to convert from Midi to CV, the fact that I can send clock from the pedal, etc.

But it's a major hassle to flick through the menus and interface, until you get the hang of it and even then you'll be going into nested menus, etc.

The CP-251 on the other hand is what you see is what you get, no hidden nested menus, etc.

Quite ironically, I love my Voyager Old School because it's what you see is what you get; but I also like my Phatty and it's nested chaos.

Foogerwise, you'll like the FreqBox alot and the Envelope is absolutely required to tame the beast!! IF you end up getting the MP-201 and the Freq, keep in mind that you'll be able to play the OSC of the Freqbox at the same time another channel on the MP-201 runs an envelope against the cutoff of the MF-101. Now that's handy.

You won't go wrong no matter what you choose, it's all about what type of workflow you are into. If I didn't have the Voyager Old School and the VX-351 attached to it, I think I would want the 251, but with a series of Midi syncable LFOs built into the Pedal, the MP gives me everything I want except for a slew.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

shortsleeves

Post by shortsleeves » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:51 am

Hi,

Everything depends on your needs, of course. If you need MIDI, the MP-201 is hard to beat (well, since the CP-251 doesn't have MIDI, there's no contest anyway :-)

I've got a Freqbox, and a CP-251, and they make a perfect pair with so much direct tweakability… If you plan to buy other MF's, you'll end up with a CP-251 at some point anyway – it's just too handy not to have one (or two – as some would say).

Cheers,
Lukasz
My SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/shortsleeves. Enjoy, and leave a comment!