Slim Phatty VST Editor MIDI Set Up

Everything Phatty.
jpromano78

Slim Phatty VST Editor MIDI Set Up

Post by jpromano78 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Howdy all,

I'm pretty upset... just spent $69.00 USD on a VST Little Phatty Editor which is supposed to work with the Slim Phatty as well, e-mailed Moog and they said that the editor does not work with Ableton Live after I bought the VST Editor... I was like what? :shock: then I e-mailed Rekon Audio (Maker of the VST Plug-in for Moog Music) and they said that it does work on Ableton Live and they sent me a screenshot of an Ableton Live set up for a different Syhtn editor other than the Little/Slim Phatty :?
Rekonaudio's support regarding the midi set up inside Live for their VST Editor has been pretty much useless so far, I guess I will continue to bother them until they give me exact details as to how to MIDI set up this damn editor.. If anyone has figured out the set up for Ableton Live PLEASE, PLEASE take a nice and clear screenshot of the three MIDI channels and one AUDIO chanel needed (as per Rekonaudio) and post it to this thread.. I'm sure a lot of users would really appreciate it. I'm so disappointed with both Moog Music and Rekonaudio for not having some sort of CLEAR MIDI set up manual for this Little/Slim Phatty VST Plug-in for major DAWs (In my case Ableton Live)

All I read all over the web is hundreds of users having this same exact problem saying things like: "Little Phatty VST Plug-In is a complete waste of money" and so on... Common' Rekonaudio... if you're going to do something do it right or just don't do it at all..

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated
Attachments
Here is my non-working Midi Set Up
Here is my non-working Midi Set Up

mikeytrw

Re: Slim Phatty VST Editor MIDI Set Up

Post by mikeytrw » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi jpromano78,

Welcome to the same problem as the rest of LP Ableton users. But don't be disheartened, the LP works great with Unstableton!

Couple of pointers:

1. Forget about the VST. Rekon are full of it - it plain doesn't work in Ableton. Even if it kinda did, you can't automate any of the controls.
2. Wait for the new version which Amos (from Moog) says works brilliantly - they have an OSX version ready for release but for some reason are holding back on us...
3. Try the MAX MSP patch that you'll find a few threads down, it works pretty damn well and 'acatcalledanarchy' has done a good job albeit still not perfect.

But here is the big tip:

Just use CC Midi channels, I've had my LP for a little less than a week and I've already memorised most of the CC values for the LP controls. You cannot automate CC in the arrangement view except from inside clips which annoyed me at first but hey I honestly don't care any more.

The bottom line is you dont *need* any VST or anything else. I've got totally comfortable just using MIDI CC values.I love my LP, and I love it in ableton, after a few fiddly set-up-testing sessions I find just using the 'External Instrument' works freaking awesome. I'm genuinely amazed at how well my LP works with Disableton.

The only downside is you need to remember and save your patch on the LP when you save your Ableton file, and in every clip there is a 'pattern' parameter which you can use to automagically set the patch the LP plays for that clip, so the LP will change patch mid-song (just remember always to set the pattern number 1 higher than your LP patch number because Ableton starts at 1 and the LP starts at 0).

Hopefully you're able to run a really low latency which is necessary for any external instrument setup, I use 128 samples which gives me an overall latency of 10.3ms - unnoticeable. If you find your computer is struggling to run a super-low latency then maybe upgrade your sound device or buy a mac :). I can reccomend the Focusrite Pro 24 DSP. I've never been able to run latency so low, especially given I'm using a fail-spec 1.8gz mini mac.

Enjoy! you have a world of awesome squelchy bass lines ahead of you.

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi guys
2. Wait for the new version which Amos (from Moog) says works brilliantly - they have an OSX version ready for release but for some reason are holding back on us...
Refer to this post from Amos on the Ableton forum re: Rekon Audio's VST Little Phatty Editor:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=159175

Laters

Peace, love and flowers...
A Cat Called Anarchy

Voyager Select Series Whitewash Electric Blue, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur

jpromano78

Post by jpromano78 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:16 am

mikeytrw wrote:Hi jpromano78,

Welcome to the same problem as the rest of LP Ableton users. But don't be disheartened, the LP works great with Unstableton!

Couple of pointers:

1. Forget about the VST. Rekon are full of it - it plain doesn't work in Ableton. Even if it kinda did, you can't automate any of the controls.
3. Try the MAX MSP patch that you'll find a few threads down, it works pretty damn well and 'acatcalledanarchy' has done a good job albeit still not perfect.

But here is the big tip:

Just use CC Midi channels, I've had my LP for a little less than a week and I've already memorised most of the CC values for the LP controls. You cannot automate CC in the arrangement view except from inside clips which annoyed me at first but hey I honestly don't care any more.

The bottom line is you dont *need* any VST or anything else. I've got totally comfortable just using MIDI CC values.I love my LP, and I love it in ableton, after a few fiddly set-up-testing sessions I find just using the 'External Instrument' works freaking awesome. I'm genuinely amazed at how well my LP works with Disableton.

The only downside is you need to remember and save your patch on the LP when you save your Ableton file, and in every clip there is a 'pattern' parameter which you can use to automagically set the patch the LP plays for that clip, so the LP will change patch mid-song (just remember always to set the pattern number 1 higher than your LP patch number because Ableton starts at 1 and the LP starts at 0).

Hopefully you're able to run a really low latency which is necessary for any external instrument setup, I use 128 samples which gives me an overall latency of 10.3ms - unnoticeable. If you find your computer is struggling to run a super-low latency then maybe upgrade your sound device or buy a mac :). I can reccomend the Focusrite Pro 24 DSP. I've never been able to run latency so low, especially given I'm using a fail-spec 1.8gz mini mac.

Enjoy! you have a world of awesome squelchy bass lines ahead of you.
Thanks for your pointers, mikeytrw! I must say that I have also been able to use my SP with the external instrument tool inside Live and works pretty well except when I want to save the live set I must save the patch as well so this is where this is falling short.

I contacted Amos (Super helpful guy!) and he gave me updated AU Little/Slim Phatty editor... still I can't get it to work.. He said he will help me set it up so we'll see how that goes.

Question.... did you pay the $69.00 for the editor? If so, did you get a refund? If this does not work you can be sure that I will get a refund.

Another question... When you talk about MIDI CC Values for automation, can you go into detail as to how this works? Would love to automate the parameters on my SP without the help of stupid VST/AU editor..

This just pisses me off so much.. I bought the damn SP because of the VST/AU Integration with Ableton Live.. Even MOOG advertised it as one of the features of the Slim Phatty at the NAMM Show.. they actually had a Mac running Ableton Live at the booth connected to a Slim Phatty and using the VST Plug in... and now what???
I don't want to return it because I love its sound but this is just a HUGE disappointment for me... both companies but specially Rekonaudio.

In regards to my computer... I actually just upgraded from a 2006 Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo to a Mac Pro 8 Core, I got 10GB of ram so my system is running nice and smooth... I only use my Mac Pro for Music Production... for all the other crap I still use my Macbook Pro. My sound card is a Apogee Duet with works extremely well..

Talk soon...

jpromano78

Post by jpromano78 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:28 am

mikeytrw wrote: The only downside is you need to remember and save your patch on the LP when you save your Ableton file, and in every clip there is a 'pattern' parameter which you can use to automagically set the patch the LP plays for that clip, so the LP will change patch mid-song (just remember always to set the pattern number 1 higher than your LP patch number because Ableton starts at 1 and the LP starts at 0).
Hey Mike,

Looked and looked for that "pattern parameter" and cannot find it... this seems that is the solution to most of my issues.. if you could shed some light on this I will be most thankful.

Awaiting you comments...

Best regards,

mikeytrw

Post by mikeytrw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:32 am

Hi jpromano78,

Firstly, Amos just emailed the new OSX VST, and although i can't hook it up to my LP cause im in my office, it looks much better - see attached image for setup config :) So drop him an email/PM and see if he can help you out.
Screen shot 2011-02-22 at 14.25.56.png
Moog are really good and 'hands on' with their customers which is really refreshing in comparison to Rekon, who frankly suck.

Also I've attached an image of where the pattern setting is in your clip setup. It's actually called 'Program' sorry my bad :P
Screen shot 2011-02-22 at 14.27.41.png
Screen shot 2011-02-22 at 14.27.41.png (32.8 KiB) Viewed 16104 times

Hope this helps!

mr-g

Post by mr-g » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:55 am

crikey that looks dope. wheres the win vst version please? :P

jpromano78

Post by jpromano78 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:07 am

mr-g wrote:crikey that looks dope. wheres the win vst version please? :P
Sorry to say but the WINDOWS editor still has a bug that causes the system to crash... just FYI. This is why they have not officially released it yet.

jpromano78

Post by jpromano78 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 am

mikeytrw wrote: Also I've attached an image of where the pattern setting is in your clip setup. It's actually called 'Program' sorry my bad :P
Hope this helps!
Thanks man.... I was going nuts looking for "Pattern".. I'll give it a shot when I get home..

jpromano78

Post by jpromano78 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:21 am

Well gentlemen, I must say that Amos from Moog Music is a very committed individual... he has taken the time and sent me the updated (unreleased) MAC version of the VST/AU Little/Slim Phatty Editor which it isn't 100% functional as of yet but I thing we're almost there. So far I've gotten all the parameters on the VST/AU Editor to sync with my Slim Phatty and I have actually been able to automate all the parameters via VST/AU, however the only issue right now (BIG ONE though :( ) is that the automation on the VST/AU Editor parameters is not affecting the sound of the Slim Phatty which I'm assuming has to do with the AUDIO/MIDI set up somewhere along the line.. I'm pretty confident that with Amos' help we will be getting this to work 100% on the MAC platform.

TIP :!: : The best way to set up the VST/AU Little/Slim Phatty in Ableton Live is to create a MIDI channel, then create an INSTRUMENT RACK, then throw in both the EXTERNAL INSTRUMENT TOOL and the VST/AU Little/Slim Phatty EDITOR inside the INSTRUMENT RACK you just created... to get the parameters you need to show up on the on the VST/AU Plug-in signal chain (at the bottom of your screen), click on the "Configure" button and just click and wiggle on the VST/AU Plug-in window the parameters you want/need, these will then be configured and will show up as a fader on your VST/AU Plug-in signal chain (at the bottom of your screen) and be ready to be automated on your arrange view window.

If you have any questions so far, do not hesitate to ask.. I'll be glad to help, please see attached screenshot of my progress so far...

I'll keep you all updated on the progress...

PS. NEITHER the automation data nor the movements on the VST/AU Parameters are affecting the sound of my Slim Phatty wich is the ONLY issue left to resolve, :?: if anyone has any idea as to how to get this issue corrected based upon the set up of the screen shot below... we are good to go!!!
Attachments
SP AU Set Up.jpg

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:21 pm

jpromano78 wrote: the automation on the VST/AU Editor parameters is not affecting the sound of the Slim Phatty which I'm assuming has to do with the AUDIO/MIDI set up somewhere along the line..
Ahoy there -

in your screenshot (http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/download ... &mode=view):
"Editor MIDI Out" (data to synth) is set to "OFF." That means no control output from the editor to your Slim.
So, double-check this setting... "Editor MIDI Out" needs to be a MIDI output that is connected to your Slim.
See if that gets you to the finish line, or if it raises additional questions... :)

Cheers,

Amos

jpromano78

Post by jpromano78 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Amos wrote:"Editor MIDI Out" (data to synth) is set to "OFF." That means no control output from the editor to your Slim.
So, double-check this setting... "Editor MIDI Out" needs to be a MIDI output that is connected to your Slim.
Thanks Amos, makes sense however I can't seem to know where this "Editor MIDI Out" parameter you speak of is located, if you could point that out to me would be most helpful. A "zoomed in" screen shoot from my own initial screenshoot would be wonderful... as they say: "a picture is worth a thousand words"

Awaiting your comments.

Thanks again.

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi Jpromano78...

Refer to the below screenshot.
Screen shot 2011-02-23 at 21.49.58.jpg
Happy tweaking!

Laters

Peace, love and flowers...
A Cat Called Anarchy

Voyager Select Series Whitewash Electric Blue, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Ha, I had just finished a much uglier version of the above in MS Paint.
well done, that man :)

jpromano78

Post by jpromano78 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:54 pm

acatcalledanarchy THANKS!!!!!!! :wink: It worked like a charm!!! I got everything working perfectly now... Well almost there.... I'd say 95% there!!! The only thing I need now Mr. Amos when you get a chance please send me the .fxb file for the Slim Phatty Factory Presets so that I can load the on the AU and we're done!!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks so much guys!!!!! For those of you who think that the VST/AU Editor for the Little/Slim Phatty does not work... please read this: IT DOES WORK and WORKS WELL (At least on Ableton Live) INCLUDING THE AUTOMATION OF ALL PARAMETERS... Note :!: MAC VERSION ONLY... for now...

Cheers!!!