CP-251 LFO Quandry: Syncing Help

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

CP-251 LFO Quandry: Syncing Help

Post by EricK » Sat May 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Taking your advice about more creative patching, I have a patch that is centered around the CP's LFO.

The LFO is controlling the rate of the q119, the S&H to the 101, and is lagged and sent to the 107's pitch, so the Sequencer, Freqbox and Filter are always the same rate. YAY!

The problem is that I'm having extreme difficulty syncing the LFO to Numerology (software sequencer). The software is set to 115 bpm. I want the sequencer to play a melody and another synth to play the bassline while I accompany on a third instrument.

Numerology is repeating a 1x64 length sequence, while the q119 is running a 1x24 sequence. I know theres going to be some parts where they don't perfectly overlap, but they should always come together in about the same spot after a few cycles. I can play the bassline perfectly when I perform it manually.

So I've been spending about 45 minutes trying to get these to sync up and I'm beginning to think that the CP's LFO is suffering from temperature drift as my AC cuts on and off.

What do you guys think?

How can I best get a software sequencer to sync to an analog LFO?

Im also noticing that we need almost an infinite number of decimal places in the software seq to get these things to work....or MIDI LFOS.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Do I need a midi multiple and a Midi to CV module or Do I need to give up on the software sequencer and keep my sequencers all analog?

Im thinking that this is a classic technical issue with analog LFOs or is this supposed to be the fun part?

Thanks,
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kevin Lightner

Re: CP-251 LFO Quandry: Syncing Help

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 pm

You're not synching, you're matching tempos.
If you want it to sync, you need a master clock that everything follows pulse for pulse.
Trying to get two repetitive signals to match up perfectly over long periods of time is very difficult.
Even some of the best turntables or metronomes set to the same rate will probably not be in sync after some minutes.

I doubt your LFO is drifting, but the beauty of true syncing using a master clock is that everything else will drift with it.
Think a chain gang vs a marching band. Now put blinders on everyone and see how sync'd they are after 5 mins. ;-)
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Sat May 26, 2012 10:07 pm

take a Kenton pro solo MKII +innerclocks Sync-GenII pro together

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun May 27, 2012 3:23 pm

electronicpoison wrote:take a Kenton pro solo MKII +innerclocks Sync-GenII pro together
Can you elaborate on this?
Kevin Lightner wrote:Trying to get two repetitive signals to match up perfectly over long periods of time is very difficult.
This is very frustrating. If I could just pull the tempo, I could reset the LFO with that, but the VX351's conversion only wants to give me the gate outputs.

I could use the Voyager's LFO, instead of the CP but I really want the taurus to be Midi Controlled.

This is giving me a whole new respect for the likes of Klaus Schulze who did flawless live albums.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun May 27, 2012 4:02 pm

You're out of luck, Erik.

Even if you get your hands on ExpertSleepers (not for driving LFOs [which you can do], but for sending absolutely precise voltage as expression input to a RATE CV), it is still likely to drift simply because of fluctuations from one unit to another.

You should have a look at picking up a Multipedal, it really is ideal for a Midi->CV sync application. Otherwise, the Kenton recommendation is a good one. There are also modules that might do this. Check the COTK C946. I don't have any direct experience with it but from the looks of it, you have a choice of waveforms (below) and possibly active outputs above.

This may or may not be obvious but your Voyager outputs ALL LFOs sync'ed at the same time.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun May 27, 2012 4:07 pm

This is where having a partner really comes in handy.

I thought about the dotcom midi to CV converter.

I guess instead of making it a simulated live video, Im going to have to just make it a studio track, and overdub the basslines. DAMN!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun May 27, 2012 9:58 pm

I just re-read your post and realized that I did not fully understand your issue. But you have the same problem.

One solution that was not mentioned was to sync your voyagers LFO to midi leveraging the pulse to drive your sequencer at the same time as driving S+H from another VX-351 output but you surely thought of this already

If you want to pick up a module, Moon has a nice Midi to clock option and also a quad divider which will let you do some really nifty poly rhythms. But to be honest, the MP-201 is wonderful and I would guess that. Y now people like me and holding on tight while another group of folks are selling. May be worthwhile to pick one up at some point.

I've got mine programmed with button/channel 4 as master clock start at which time it drives my STG Time Modules via a Doepfer M2Sync converter and NI's MASCHINE sequencer not to mention Murf (with LFOs to spare)

I like the features crammed into the CP but at the time chose the MP and don't regret it one bit

For the life of me, I can't understand why Moog doesn't release a CP-252 or 251M with a Midi synched LFO and a Mifi to CV function in the same form factor. Let's face it, time has moved on now and with the resurgence of analog and modular, folks DO want to cross the streams
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Mon May 28, 2012 4:16 pm

hello again
i think the problem start on the computer. the midiclock or sync out of the DAW (computer) do not have an accurate time keeping.for me the syn-gen II pro is the thing to get an really exactly midi clock or pulse trigger for my analog gear starting from my computers DAW.

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Mon May 28, 2012 4:33 pm

look on the page from innerclocksystems.com they have really interesting products to get rid of sync problems.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon May 28, 2012 6:02 pm

I appreciate everyones tips and suggestions. I guess what Im going to do is do it as a studio version. Im trying to get this done quickly and move on because I'm totally ready to yank all the cables and start over.

I can't spend any more money right now unfortunately but I will certainly look into everyones suggestions in the future.

Eric

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:31 am

I hate sync issues!

it stopped me form even setting my studio up after a move... stuff stayed in boxes for a long time...

When you are thinking of a next purchase, check these guys out (as mentioned above)

http://innerclocksystems.com/New%20ICS%20Products.html

The new Modular system looks really good! http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New%20 ... eries.html

I own a sycn gen II pro & now all my kit is synced! you will have to tweak it to record different bits of gear sample accurate but for jamming an writing with all your gear super tight, its very motivating rather than a drag because something is falling in and out of time.

And for the record I have nothing to do with this crowed :wink:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:31 pm

Those things are beautiful! :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.