Minimoog old school oscillator issue

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
gymrocker

Minimoog old school oscillator issue

Post by gymrocker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:52 am

Hi all,
I just bought a brand new minimoog OS (number 627). It is brillant and sounds amazing. However, I would like to know if anyone has experienced the same problems I have.

1. Oscillator 3 sounds less biting than oscillators 1 and 2. It is like it has a lower cutoff than the other two. While this is not a major drama, it is weird.

2. When I have all 3 oscillators on a triangle wave, oscillator 3 sounds different to the other two (much lower high frequency response and almost has a shade of sawtooth in it where oscillators 1 and 2 sound like a pure triangle).

Is this something I should be concerned about? It honestly does not bother me that much, but after paying $2500 I want to know my synth is fully operational.

Thanks for your time guys.

psicolor

Re: Minimoog old school oscillator issue

Post by psicolor » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:19 am

Osc3 has a different architecture than Osc1 and Osc2. You may have seen that you can turn of Osc3 into an LFO.
Osc3 has always a little less bite then the other oscillators.

The waveforms of all oscillators can be calibrated, but osc3 will never sound like osc2 or osc1.
Also i must say that the voyager's oscillators are not very brilliant in comparison to other analog oscillators.
Some people actually use an overdrive effect into the voyagers pre filter insert channel, to achieve more overtones... (and to imitate the overdriven filter of the old mini)
http://www.psicolor.de

till

Post by till » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:30 pm

psicolor wrote:...Also i must say that the voyager's oscillators are not very brilliant in comparison to other analog oscillators. ...
Right.
This is the reason why Rudi offers a modification to change this. But this needed labor is depending on the analog board revision.
My good old 1979 Minimoog got way more brighter and fuller oscillators. And a first tiny mod made my Voyager brighter and fuller. Still waiting to have the money and time (not sending my Voyager via mail) to get the full modification done.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:31 am

Hi have got Rudis contact details
thanks ?

till

Post by till » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:14 pm

David Bulog wrote:Hi have got Rudis contact details
thanks ?
http://www.lintronics.de
There the details are all given on the front page.
And he is from Germany. He worked together with Bob Moog and did all the software of the all Voyager versions, except the Old School (of cause).
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16