I am getting noise feedback from my SlimPhatty. MAC, Ableton

Everything Phatty.
pumpkinfoot

I am getting noise feedback from my SlimPhatty. MAC, Ableton

Post by pumpkinfoot » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:53 pm

When I am playing the slim phatty... there is feedback, it like goes on a loop and won't stop playing... i have my output in the back hookedup to a M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface, into the two inputs in the front via 1 / 4 jacks... I am wondering... is the feedback coming from my slim phatty, interface, ableton, computer? I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO MAKE THIS STOP!!! UGGHHHH!

Someone Help Please!!!!

andy

nomadbeatz

Re: I am getting noise feedback from my SlimPhatty. MAC, Abl

Post by nomadbeatz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Are you on a Laptop with a Bus powered I/O?

pumpkinfoot

Post by pumpkinfoot » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:21 pm

yes i am on a macbook pro 13.3 4 gigs ram... OS X 10.6.7

i don't know why it happens?

do you?

if you could help that would be great!

Thanks!

andy

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Sun May 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Disable the MIDI output from Ableton (select NONE) or turn off MIDI Echo Thru if that option exists in Ableton.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

djfood

Post by djfood » Mon May 02, 2011 7:47 am

maybe u can use a gate effect to cut the noise...

pumpkinfoot

Post by pumpkinfoot » Mon May 02, 2011 8:43 pm

ok, this isn't working.... here is the deal... i am running ableton with the slim phatty and an m-audio oxygen 49... when the feedback may start (randomly), if i hit the space bar in ableton and the track stops playing, the feedback will stop.... however, once it gets stuck on feedback, i have to shut off the slim phatty to be able to run it normal again... i thought keys were getting stuck, but they are not... it's real weird, it's like this little puppy has some demons in it.. lol, i don't know what to do, other than get annoyed and have this bleep bug me to death.

nomadbeatz

Post by nomadbeatz » Tue May 03, 2011 9:05 am

I get a similar problem when i connect the SP to a MBP running Live only if i use a bus powered IO and use the USB connection (SP) for MIDI. Try grounding something: Audio IO, MIDI IO, computer. Cheapest option might be MIDI IO.

Lemme know. :mrgreen:

pumpkinfoot

Post by pumpkinfoot » Tue May 03, 2011 1:35 pm

how do i use a midi IO ? sorry i am not that smart yet with all of this... and if that doesn't work, how could i ground the keyboard?

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue May 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Something like this will enable you to connect your computer to your slim without using the USB port of the slim.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_au/Uno.html

pumpkinfoot

Post by pumpkinfoot » Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm

how do you hook it up? also, i was wondering... when i try to use JUST midi, ableton does not recognize the slim phatty, it's real weird.

andy

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Tue May 03, 2011 3:27 pm

It would be helpful for you to describe EXACTLY how you have all of your MIDI cables routed in your setup.

The problem you are having is a MIDI feedback loop. Refer to pages 32 and 33 of the SP manual. There are a few different ways to resolve this problem, depending on how you use Ableton and how you want to record the controls off the Phatty.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

pumpkinfoot

Post by pumpkinfoot » Tue May 03, 2011 3:40 pm

I have an m-audio fast track pro interface via usb to macbook pro... my slim phatty via usb, the slim phatty is into the two inputs on the front of the m-audio interface, and that goes into the headphones jack on the slim phatty to get stereo, (that's the only way i can get stereo), then i have an m-audio midi keyboard (oxygen 49) hooked up via usb to my macbook pro... the midi controller keyboard is not hooked up to the slim phatty in anyway... the slim phatty is only hooked up to the interface and the computer, via usb... the interface is hooked up via usb... when i am in ableton, i will be playing the notes, everything works fine... then when i play faster, for some reason the notes get stuck, and i can't do anything about it... i have upgraded the firmware to 3.04... still doesn't work, i even upgraded ableton, and my osx, so, i don't know what it could be, i would hate to have to send this puppy back, because to be honest, i think in this situation it's the golfer and not the golfclubs!!! BUT someone please help me, this is very frustrating.

pumpkinfoot

Post by pumpkinfoot » Tue May 03, 2011 3:42 pm

and once the notes get stuck, they are stuck permanently, UNLESS, i turn off the slim phatty, but then it cycles again, just not as quickly, and the notes get stuck again... one thing i forgot to say was, that when i am in ableton, and i stop playing the track, when the slim phatty and midi keyboard are on record, it stops, but then starts right up again, This is the same way for, when i hit all notes off, on the slim phatty, this really sucks... i hate this

pumpkinfoot

Post by pumpkinfoot » Tue May 03, 2011 3:53 pm

okay... this is crazy... but i have done almost everything... LOL.. this stupid situation.. i decided to hit master reboot on the slim phatty.... it looks like it has worked so far... i just hope this sucker doesn't start acting up again.... but i think this is a good sign... please let me know if you still have advice on this on what to do... ill keep you guys posted

oh yeah, and I HIGHLY WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR TIME, HELP, AND SUPPORT... THAT MEANS SOOO MUCH TO ME... I do not take that lightly at all. THANKS A MILL TO EVERYONE!

andy

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Tue May 03, 2011 6:52 pm

If you are just recording MIDI notes off the Oxygen and not knob movements and patch changes off the Phatty I would suggest turning off the MIDI OUTPUT of the Phatty, or changing the MIDI output on the Phatty to another MIDI channel and recording knob movements etc onto a seperate MIDI track and combining them later via editing in Ableton for later playback.

It may also be helpful to disable MIDI IN on the Oxygen as well to decrease the possibility of a loop occuring through that piece of hardware that locks up the Phatty.