SP - dead USB port

Everything Phatty.
mustgroove

SP - dead USB port

Post by mustgroove » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:08 am

The USB port on my SP appears to be dead... Totally not recognized by any computer :(

- it was connected to a USB hub which someone accidentally had used a 12V power supply on (the proper power supply is 5V) - even though it's not bus powered, could that have been what fried it?

- if that indeed what fried it, is it fixable?

CTRLSHFT

Re: SP - dead USB port

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:25 pm

Just a guess, made sure that USB is receiving MIDI IN on the MIDI Setup page?
www.ctrlshft.com

mustgroove

Post by mustgroove » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:57 am

As I mentioned in the original post, no computer even recognises the SP is even connected at all, so it doesn't even show up as a MIDI source/destination to choose from in any DAW

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:53 am

mustgroove wrote:As I mentioned in the original post, no computer even recognises the SP is even connected at all, so it doesn't even show up as a MIDI source/destination to choose from in any DAW
Have you tried a restore factory settings on it? I had a pseudo OS corruption occur after some MIDI loop madness that wouldn't resolve itself until I had it do a restore.
www.ctrlshft.com

mustgroove

Post by mustgroove » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Yep, tried a couple of factory resets and they have made no difference... Still isn't recognized at all by any computer

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:53 pm

sounds fried. The USB is its own little board which is quite easily replaceable and inexpensive.

In general I recommend staying away from USB hubs, they do not always play nice electrically with your gear.
I had a really nice Wacom graphics tablet get totally fried from being connected to a hub - unlike the Phatty, it was not repairable!

In the case of the Phatty, don't worry. Replacing the USB board will be a quick and total fix. I recommend you contact techsupport at moogmusic dot com for further assistance.

Sorry for the mishap!

-Amos