doesn`t anybody want t-3`s

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Vince Ascoli

Re: doesn`t anybody want t-3`s

Post by Vince Ascoli » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:16 pm

EricK wrote:I don't think that theres too many people in Arkansas that really own a lot of Moog stuff, at least noone with any kind of internet presence. I think the LR guitar center is lucky to get a Phatty on the showroom floor, so I doubt I'll be running into anyone with a set of T1's anytime soon.

As far as the Bells and whistles go, I have to say I disagree. I though, am spoiled on the knob per function interface of the Voyager and don't like being limited to changing 1 thing at a time. The flow is not that intuitive so I rarely stray from the presets and try to design my own sounds.

Eric
Greetings, friend EricK - unless I misread your post, it sounds as if you have both a Voyager and a T3? You've seen this, right?
http://www.moogmusic.com/manuals/t3_voyager.pdf
Tweaking my T3 from the panel of my Voyager, has been more fun that the law should allow...completely dope :D
Kudos to Moog, for taking the time to make the parameters on the T3 line up with the panel on the Voyager, and for making that handy .pdf...cheers!
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:37 pm

Hey,
Yeah I own those. I saw the chart to use the Voyager's controls, but the thing is when I turn them both on, I want to play the both lol.

See, I was really hoping for an easier method for polyphony. You have to transpose the Voyager's keyboard down so far that its useless for the Voyager. Probably a simple midi controller is the solution, but it still sounds pretty impressive regardless of the interface.

Yeah now if they do a well designed polyphonic synth, that will be the constellation! Then all laws will be abolished!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:36 pm

maybe the t1 will sound better in some respect, however all the advantages of a modern aged , big sounding instrument with a broad soundpallet would pull over the line.

having said that i can understand that any attention paid to the t3 will also raise interest in the t1 and thereby the vintagegearpices. no matter the facts

one thing left , looks a bit like the past discussions 'bout the model-d and voyager. if you have the money and opportunity, simply buy both. ( doubt however if that would be as neccesarry for the t1 and t3 )

omvibes

Post by omvibes » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:38 am

Not sure that the T3 is doing anything good for T1 prices, I've been trying to sell my T1s at a loss for a while now in the UK without any joy. I would actually take up the original poster on his deal, if it wasn't for the shipping costs and stupid customs charges between the US and the UK.

rick400352

Post by rick400352 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:25 pm

well,sold the t-3`s on ebay,got 85.00 less than what the cost me! would love to purchase someone`s t-1`s if anyone is interested and your close to n.y,i`ll come get them if the price is right and everything works.or will meet you at a reasonable distance from n.y. thanks.

Baker69

Post by Baker69 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi rick400352,

I was surprised to read of someone selling their T3 to get a T1, the T3 really is a superb instrument and can do anything the T1 can do and more, but does take some tweaking to get it to sound how you want and in particular to accurately emulate a Taurus 1. Having previously owned 2 sets of Taurus I's I would personally not go back to them now, yes they are very easy to set up and get 'that' sound, but in reality it is now a very old instrument and you are looking at a 30 to 35 year old piece of very expensive (and potentillay unreliable) electronic equipment. You may be fortunate in dropping on a set that hasn't had much use and hasn't been gigged much. I never had much trouble with either of my sets of T1's, my last set did start to develop a problem with sticking contacts on one of the pedals, plus it started to lose the magnets on the glass door, perished foam on the sliders etc.

Taurus 1 owners are still hoping to realise a very high return on them and for the sake of a few hundred dollars (or pounds) you can have a T3 which can get exactly the same sound as a T1 plus with a warranty and the build quality on them is first class. Also, those precious pedal contacts are now enclosed!

There has been a set of T1's on the UK E-Bay Site for a couple of weeks now, they're up at £1,300 but to date no takers. I think most people would rather spend another £299 and get a brand new set of T3's!!! I know which one's I'd rather have!

rick400352

Post by rick400352 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:52 pm

hi,thanks for your imput.i know what some of us synth guy`s are thinking.but,i would rather have a set of t-1`s. plus they hold a sentimental value as my son bought my first t-1`s for me. i`m not sure i would want to buy something that fragile from someone that far away..so i`ll wait and hope someone more local will want to sell my theirs.thanks..

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:35 am

rick400352 wrote: plus they hold a sentimental value as my son bought my first t-1`s for me. .
that's a good one, guess i'll start putting a system55 and/or memorymoogplus on my next birthdaywishlist. might trigger something with the kids. there is still hope

Baker69

Post by Baker69 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:08 pm

Yes, the Taurus 1 is a bit iconic and if it does hold some sentimental reason for having some again then go for it. 8)

I'm still very impressed with the Taurus 3, although I'm not convinced the Taurus Preset sounds the same as the T1 (seems to be too much Cut-Off and Resonance) but may be able to tweak it to a more acceptable emulation. I never tended to use that Preset much on my T1's as I mainly used the 'Variable' Setting, but if I needed it to cut through more the Taurus Preset was just the job!

Good luck in your search, you will find some eventually and hopefully at the right price. :wink:

rick400352

Post by rick400352 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:34 pm

thank for your input, yes the 3`s have more to offer but i`m still going to pick up a set of t-1`s as soon as i find A SET A THE RIGHT PRICE. so,if you would want to sell yours then cotact me and we can try to cut a deal! thanks..

omvibes

Post by omvibes » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Hello Rick400352, and Baker 69,

'tis a small world, those T1s on Uk ebay you mentioned were mine, and they sold a few days back for the asking price (it took a while!). Good luck with the search for the T1s, I may be on the look-out for some T3s soon, we will see...

Oli

Baker69

Post by Baker69 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi Omvibes,

Glad to see you managed to sell your T1's. I was very surprised that they were on E-Bay for sale for so long, at one time they would have gone within hours but I suppose that is a sign of the times in this economic climate, or it could well indeed be the impact that the Taurus 3 has/is having on the T1 market. I sold a set of T1's a couple of years ago for £ 1,650 and even then I could have perhaps held out for more money! Not a bad return on my investment as I only paid £ 300 for them a couple of years earlier!

At £ 1,600 or £ 1,700 the Taurus 3 is a very tempting alternative to a used and ageing set of T1's, so it is no surprise really if people decide to go for the T3 instead, they are a real first class piece of kit and the build quality is superb! Whether many people will use the new features will remain to be seen, the first thing I did on mine is to re-establish the sounds I used to get on my T1's, which took me a few hours of tweaking but I'm fairly confident I've got there with it, although have yet to use them on a gig yet. The T3's are a bit of a weighty beast though, and quite difficult to pick up, they needed some recessed handles building into the wooden side panels I think.

If you want to get a brand new set of T3's I wouldn't leave it too long, I think the UK has had a few sets but they seem to be dwindling in numbers now.

Cheers! :wink:

omvibes

Post by omvibes » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:43 am

Hi Baker 69, so you paid 300 UKP for some T1s in about 2006? Good purchase sir!

I agree with you on all points, the T3s are lovely, but actually the weight issues are a real problem for me. Also, my music activities have moved away from bass playing, so at the moment I'm going to stay Taurus-less. I have a set of Elka DMP18 pedals (an octave and a bit, why didn't Moog go for that range as well with the T3s?) and a Plugiator/ Minimoog clone to go with for the moment for 'close to Taurus bass sound' if required (feel free to scream sacrilege at any time!), but if things change again then I'll be out to get some T3s - I'm in Eurozone at the moment, and its a bit easier (and cheaper) to get them here. Of course, a T3 rack version would be even better for my situation...come on Moog, what do you think?

OM

Baker69

Post by Baker69 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi omvibes,

I would agree, the T3 would have been better with an octave & and a half range (liker the Taurus 2). It would have made for a much larger unit of course which may have put some people off buying them, unless Moog made the pedals as a separate unit from the controller of course.

I think the whole purpose of the introduction of the Taurus 3 though was for the provision of a direct replacement of the Taurus1, therefore it is what it is.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:28 pm

No need to apologize for the Minimoog clone on the Plugiator... that's the Minimax, and it's probably the best Mini clone going. I have two friends with the Minimax ASB, and they are the real deal sonically.

I just made a huge post about the T1/T3 shootout I had recently with a bass player friend of mine. If there is any doubt, I encourage you to check out my post and see what we found.