MF 104 x 2 vs. Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Jaguarfooger

MF 104 x 2 vs. Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai?

Post by Jaguarfooger » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:22 am

EHX's Effectology series has given me a number of good ideas about how to dial up certain sounds with Moogerfoogers. Now they have a new series called EHX Tone Tips (seems to be Effectology without videos).

Their first Tone Tip has to do with their Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai--specifically routing one of the stereo outputs to one of the stereo inputs...they posted this graphic illustrating the setup (http://www.ehx.com/assets/blog/ehx-tone ... azarai.jpg).

Would a similar setup/effect be possible with two MF 104 Analog Delays?

Perhaps something like Delay 2 in the effects loop of Delay 1?

Again, EHX hasn't posted any videos or audio of the setup with their gear...I can only guess what it sounds like. it might be cool. But I've always been especially curious about how a guitar signal might sound if processed by dual analog delays. I've got 1 MF 104. Please give me a reason to buy another....If there are cool sounds to be made.

If any of you have the gear to try out such a setup with either Moog or EHX gear, would you be willing to weigh in or share demos of the kinds of sounds you get?

analoghaze

Re: MF 104 x 2 vs. Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai?

Post by analoghaze » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:56 am

Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Jaguarfooger

Post by Jaguarfooger » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:29 am

analoghaze wrote:I did a demo awhile ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmMCCfByR6k
Thanks for sharing. I saw your 3 delay loop a while back.

But right now, I'm really curious about what can happen to an external signal when processed by 2 or more connected delays. Would you comment on this? If you ever get the chance, could you post a demonstration?something demonstrating this?

Jaguarfooger

Post by Jaguarfooger » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:30 pm

The fellas at Switched on Music in Austin, Texas let me try out the Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai setup. It was really cool. Best way I can describe how it sounds--the delay effect is doubled...with each repeat the signal becomes distorted...but not in the same way as with, for example, the distortion that happens with the MF 104 in LONG mode...it's a subtle digital distortion that's especially interesting when the effects' mod, reverse, or loop settings are used.

Anyway--it was very cool, and the guys in the store continued to play with it after I left. I hope they get around to posting a video of this setup somewhere.

While we played around with the EHX delay, we talked about whether or not similar types of sounds were possible with the Moog MF 104. They didn't have any MF 104s in stock (although they are authorized Moog dealers--and have a lot of neat vintage Moog gear). So, we couldn't try it out. But some similar sounds might be possible.

If anyone has at least 2 MF 104s and a CP 251, please try this and tell me what kinds of sounds you can get...Place Delay 2 in the external loop of Delay 1. Modulate the time, mix, and feedback of Delay 1 with at least one LFO. If I can find another MF 104 to plug into my own in the next week--I'll try this myself. In the meantime, if anyone else gets a change to try this, I'm really curious if makes for a cool guitar or synthesizer effect.