Panic!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
nick braithwaite

Panic!

Post by nick braithwaite » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:59 am

Hi Guys,
There comes a time when it would actually be a relief to discover one has done something entirely stupid! My time has come :oops: :? I seem to have a fault on my Voyager, but I'm praying you will tell me I'm a daft old fool who has simply got something set up wrong... As far as I can make out, the keyboard has suddenly taken to supplying a very low voltage to the synth - I'm getting mostly clicks. If I use VCO 3 only, with its keyboard switch set to off, it seems to function normally and all other controls appear to behave as I would expect, but obviously I just get the same note all the way up the keyboard . In all other cases, a higher key will merely result in slightly faster clicks. Octave and fine-tune controls have the same effect. It is as if the whole keyboard has decided to function at very low frequency. I've tried everything I can think of, including initialising parameters and setting up real panel parameters. Similar symptoms occur whether I'm using factory presets, my own saved sounds or starting from scratch. I have tried switching off, waiting a bit & switching on again with no changed result. Last time I used it, everything was as normal. Any bright ideas?

EricK

Re: Panic!

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:20 am

Rest eazy buddy. Your keyscan board needs replacing. If you can turn a screwdriver, youll be doing just as good as I can do. All you need to do is call Moog Tech Support and tell them what your problem is and they will say "Oh thats the keyscan board" They will send you a reprogrammed board that shouldn't fail again.

I have the directions for replacing such a board, and they might even be uploaded to Knob tweak already.

If you don't have a technical screw turning bone in your body like me, all you have to do is take apart the mod wheel section disconnect that wire, turn the keyboard upside down on a THICK stack of thick towels, remove the bottom plate, and remove the screws that hold the keyboard in place. There is a little green board on there, you have to unscrew that and screw the new one in place put it all back together and you are totally set.

There was a limited run of Voyagers (I think OS fell in here also) that had faulty boards. THe best part about this puppy is that you don't have to send your unit in because its an easy fix.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:44 am

Voyager Keyscan Replacement information:
There was a batch of Voyagers that were produced that had a faulty keyscan board. This problem was corrected, but there may be older units (Old School Voyagers included) from various dealers that may still contain the faulty boards. As time goes on, the need for this document should disappear as Moog has fixed the problem.

The board would work up to a certain point and then, without warning, there would be little to no voltage sent to the Oscillators. The Oscillators would only sound with the lowest of pitches, and changing the octave would have little affect. If you have experienced this, please contact Moog Music customer support for the appropriate replacement part and procedure.

It is advisable to have a flat surface handy that is capable of supporting the weight of the Voyager and free of static electricity. Lay out several thick towels on the surface so that it is very soft. \par

Moog Tech Support wrote:From my email:
Here's a re-summary of the steps. It's usually a good idea to read over them a couple of times before you start the process.
1. Open up the LHC compartment (with the pitch/mod wheels) via two screws and disconnect the keyboard cables. There are two them. One has a blue connector and one has a red one. You can see that they are coming over from the keyboard.
2. Next CAREFULLY flip the unit over (face down) onto a soft surface. Remove the ten keyboard screws slowly and carefully.
3. Pull the keyboard out very carefully. Make sure no cables are still attached!!
4. Once you have the keyboard out, you'll see the green keyscan board on its underside. This is what you need to swap. Take note of the correct orientation of the board. Undo the screws that connect the green keyscan board to the keyboard and pull it off.
5. You'll want to put the new board on the same way. Use the connector pins to guide you. Then check to see if the holes on the green board line up with the holes on the keyboard. Next put in the standoffs and screws. It may be a bit tricky getting the little silver standoffs lined up with the holes (they are cylinders). Scoot them underneath the board one at a time and then thread down the screw.
6. Flip the Voyager back over so it's right-side up and re-attach the two cables to the LHC. Turn on and play the synth and make sure it works before screwing everything back together.\line 7. After confirming that everything is working, turn the Voyager off and screw down the LHC again with the keyboard cables connected.
8. You can add the first two screws to the keyboard while it's right-side up. I usually hang the corner of the unit off the table and thread in that screw first or tilt the unit up carefully with one hand and screw underneath. After you've got a couple screws in, make sure it's lined up properly (so the left and right-most keys aren't rubbing against anything. There's enough play there to adjust it before you add the other eight screws).
9. Flip the unit back over carefully and add the other screws.

Respectfully
Eric

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:09 pm

While I agree with Eric that it is most likely the keyscan board there is another possibility. I had the same dead keyscan board symptoms but it wasn't the keyscan board (which was replaced with no effect) but rather a faulty pitch bend circuit that was sending a constant very, very low voltage.
Last edited by jon_kull on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nick braithwaite

Post by nick braithwaite » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi Eric - you are a star :D What a relief; a repair without a factory return. Thank you so much for your reply. I am certainly not tecnically clued up, but the instructions you included do not look that threatening, so I'll give it a go myself when I get the part. I'll contact tech. support & let you know how I get on. I'd send you a drink but it might spill on the way accross the Atlantic...Best wishes, Nick

nick braithwaite

Post by nick braithwaite » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi Jon, Many thanks to you too. I'll contact tech support & we'll see what they say. All the best, Nick.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:17 pm

I tell you, I could control my Voyager just fine with Midi and CV but not the keyboard. At the time I had no idea what was wrong, so I tested everything in my power that I could. Osc tracked fine with CV input, and perfectly with Midi.

Jon,
I really shouldn't speak in absolutes!

Nick,
They will probably ask you what your serial number is, I hope its the keyscan board for your sake. Its an eazy fix. The hardest thing was getting those cylindrical things lined up with the holes, luckily mine were stuck together, otherwise it would have been difficult. WHen you remove your board, if that is what is wrong, just lift it carefully, and those cynindrical things should stay stationary.

nick braithwaite

Post by nick braithwaite » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Thanks very much guys. I e-mailed tech. support earlier, so I'll see what they say when they get back to me. I've no idea what the time-difference is between here & the US - & I'll bet the charges are...um...interesting! Maybe I'll phone them Monday if they need more details. I saw the new synth on the web-site...looks amazing....& tempting..so I'm trying not to think about that - you know how it is :roll: :wink: . Enjoy your weekend & once again, thanks. Nick.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Asheville (Eastern Time) I believe is GMT-5.

Hope that helps.

Eric