Performer cabinet colors and wheels

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Toni

Performer cabinet colors and wheels

Post by Toni » Sat May 22, 2010 2:59 am

Hi to all of you in the forum,

some days ago I got my brand new Voyager Performer Edition.
I ordered the Performer, because I like the sober design.

I was completely surprised, when I picked it up at my dealer.
The cabinet wood seems to be ASH, not OAK - as shown
on many pictures. Also written so on the Germans distributers page
Furthermore,
the glaze is light, looks exactly like the old school.
The wood is not so bright, as the ASH cabinet from the "select series"
It has absolutely nothing in common, with any of the dark pictures, shown at moogmusic.com
or anywhere else you can find on the web,too.
I have never seen a performer in this version before.

But - It looks absolutely GREAT

So I advice to the sales-team and the webmaster, to update their pictures on your website.

The only thing to criticize is, that the surface of the black wheels is much too slippery.
Especially the pitch wheel is not comfort, due to the hard torque.
The demo machine at my dealer, an "electric blue XXXXX", had the perspex wheels. This raw surface, not polished - is much better.
Less tension on the springs, and it will be perfect to PERFORMer ;-)
BTW
the model D had white wheels!!!! Will be a good fit to the white knobs on the voyagers wheel plate, too, I think.
Hm, is it possible to replace the wheels to the perspex ones, without a blue light!!!
That prevented me from ordering them with the new Performer.
No light, or maybe a white light for the wheels, will be ok.

Toni

EricK

Re: Performer cabinet colors and wheels

Post by EricK » Sat May 22, 2010 3:04 pm

I had a performer edition and the cabinet was darker in color than the one I have now. I Now own an Ash Lunar Select, and the Ash is brighter than it appears in any picture that Ive seen an Ash Cabinet.

Basically, In my experience, I have looked at all of their products, the Mahoghany, Black Ash, Voyagers, their Walnut Etherwaves....the pictures either on a site or in a catalog really don't do the actual instrument justice. I went to the factory and I saw the Black Ash Voyager and Walnut Etherwave and they were much nicer than In thought.

My original Performer had clear plastic wheels with a Blue light. THe wheels were perfectly clear and the light was very harsh. My Select has frosted wheels and with a white light the frosted finish isn't so harsh on the eyes. I appreciate that very much.

Could you tell us what operating system yours is?

I believe that Moog offers pitch wheel upgrades.

Regarding the tension spring, Ill bet yours just needs to be broken in. THe one at the store likely got played a lot. I haven't noticed mine being more loose, but it is a metal spring and it should loosen up a bit.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Toni

Post by Toni » Sat May 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi Eric,

its latest Version, OS 3.5
My voyager is a really new one of 2010.
With Fatar Keys - and I can say it feels good and it plays good, as expected for that price.
(Moog should avoid to go low budget,
but whats the conjunction between OS and the wheels?
I had little doubts, when I placed the order, too many variations of color, wood and wheels - and lots of wrong pictures on the website, too :oops:
So I decided to go the Performer way.

The moogsmusic website is quite poor, concerning detailed description of the Performer.
Maybe they should think about, to kick their youtube scrap and bring up some serious real (new) pictures.

But, the frosted wheels, will be best, I think so, too.
White light - is perfect.
No blendings and they have little grip.

I do not understand why they gave to the Performer ( and at least the OS) polished blank wheels.
The Model D had ripped wheels. As most keyborads up to today.

Yes, I will look forward, changing them to the frosted ones, if possible.

Have you an Idea, or who to contact at moog, for detailed informations, concernig cabinet colors, woods, etc.
I need some other stuff, and want a color match to my performer. And, maybe a second voyager for my studio only, with white backlights, too.

Toni

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon May 24, 2010 1:38 pm

I think back in 2004, having lit mod wheels was an extra feature that you had to request. I don't think its like that anymore, but I really wouldn't know. I believe it was 75 bucks more or something, I really don't remember. I got my performer and I wanted lit wheels so I requested them.
Now they have a flashing wheel option that it connected to the LFO, that is available on the Factory Modification section of the product page.

You might can email Siobhan or just call up there and talk to them. If you wanted something like lit wheels, it MIGHT be possible for you to send the entire LHC panel to them and they can mail it back to you with the bulb and the new wheels. THe specific details of that would be a good question to email Ryan their tech support manager and ask him. Maybe the board installation would require you sending the entire thing back to Moog.

Im sure that you can order a secondary cabinet from them. Id like to order a secondary cabinet and keyboard in the event that anything shouhld happen to mine (dents or broken keys 35 years from now).

Im pretty sure they will work with you and I hope you are satisfied with the result.
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Mon May 24, 2010 2:25 pm

The Performers are ash just like the Old School and have been for a few years. They were made from oak and stained walnut several years ago.

As far as cabinet color I had contacted Moog about this when I was trying to match a rack I was building to my Voyager. The stain color is called Gunstock (it's the same stain for the Performer and the OS).

If you want a new cabinet for your Moog (something I also contacted them about at one point when I wanted walnut) you're looking at about $500 USD for the cabinet plus the cost of shipping and the cost of labor (if you go with factory install).